Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2016, 07:12   #1
Marine Service Provider

What Warranty does your anchor have?

What Warranty does your anchor have?

Spade Anchor was established over 20 years ago. In Sailing that is not a long time, but with current Anchor companies that is a long proven track record. If your shopping for an anchor this is an important fact.

Does the company your considering purchasing from, have an established history?
Does the manufacturer have a lifetime warranty?
Will they be around in the future to take care of your warranty?
If so what is covered by the warranty?
How long does the warranty process take?
What is the feedback from the customers that have used the warranty?

Your anchor is not a cheap electronic device that a warranty has no merit. Your anchor is one of the most important devices aboard your boat and as such needs a warranty that ensures it will always function correctly.

Spade Anchor offers an unmatched Lifetime Warranty. Our lifetime warranty has time and time again impressed our lifelong customers.

In addition to the lifetime warranty, Spade Anchor offers a 6 month Performance Warranty. You tell us the date that you will be first using the Spade Anchor and we give you 6 months from that date to use the anchor. If you're unsatisfied with the anchor for any reason, a full refund is given no questions asked.

Buying a cheap anchor is a short term deadly fix. The overall safety of you and your crew warrants having the best possible ground tackle available.
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 07:50   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'
Re: What Warranty does your anchor have?

Well that's a very good question Spade. We have been reviewing that very subject with the manufacturer as I write this, timely.
We have been knocking around the unlimited lifetime on everything. I'm sure that is the way we will advertise it, stay tuned.
We also want folks to be happy with their purchase and decision/ sizing. Its hard to decide exactly what model, many factors. I belive we will be lifetime on that as well, not at all concerned about unloading a few pre-owned EXCELs.
Not knocking spade at all here, I have been using them and steering clients to them for years and no complaints. We are also not attempting to "one up you" on the warranty thing, I'm sure you guys work with folks and make things correct no matter how long they have owned them. So will we.
Anchor Right Australia has been around a long time too, I'll ask Rex exactly what that date was. A link to the existing warranty is availiable on our site.
ce
groundtackle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 08:00   #3

Does the Spade lifetime warranty apply to the aluminum models as well?
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 08:06   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I have used Spades, Fortresses, Deltas and Rocnas for 20 years by now.

I have no complaints about the warranties of any of them.

Rocna graciously refunded my money for the 55kg anchor I bought which turned out to have below-spec steel in the shank, even though the anchor was already 3 years old.

I bent the shank of my Fortress, and Brian from the Fortress company couriered a brand new shank to me, free of charge, no questions asked.

Now Spade are saying that they will replace anchors with worn out galvanizing.

I'd say that awfully good! You pay for this, of course -- otherwise the companies would go out of business.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 08:45   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Galvanizing is a wear item? Sort of like brake pads, windshield wipers and tires on your car?
No galvanizing can last forever?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 08:51   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Galvanizing is a wear item? Sort of like brake pads, windshield wipers and tires on your car?
No galvanizing can last forever?
I agree, actually.

I wouldn't mind periodically renewing the galvanizing on my anchors, just like I do on my chain.

I would just have two humble requests:

1. It should be of good quality in the first place.

2. The anchor should be designed so that regalvanizing can be done without excessive contortions like melting out lead etc. A removable insert would solve that nicely. Or a removable tungsten tip!
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 09:00   #7

My Mantus has a lifetime with galv included.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 09:05   #8

What exactly does the warranty cover?
-Never rusting even if Galvanising worn off?
-Bent from being caught on something?

I've not seen any anchor "wear out". Mostly the above things.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 10:03   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post

Several great questions =
The Spade Anchors galvanization is covered by the lifetime warranty.

Bending of shanks is covered by the Spade Anchor Lifetime warranty.

Aluminum models and all models/types of the Spade Anchor are covered by the Lifetime Warranty.

Re-galvanizing the Spade Anchor is not necessary. At the sign of any deterioration Spade Anchor will send you an Anchor Refinishing Kit. This kit is a 2 part epoxy resin. It takes about 2 hours of labor to apply it. If the anchor reaches a point that the kit will no longer be satisfactory, than a new anchor is issued to the customer.

Spade Anchor does not judge the condition of the anchor our customer does. If the owner of the Spade Anchor is not happy with the appearance of the Spade Anchor they are given a new one.
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 10:16   #10

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Not so bad for the anchor companies as it sounds. Most anchors, reckon 95%, get never used so much there could be any considerable wear. Which is good news for active cruisers using their ground gear regularly.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 13:45   #11

Boat: Neel 45 trimaran,and 50’ steel trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
Well that's a very good question Spade. We have been reviewing that very subject with the manufacturer as I write this, timely.
We have been knocking around the unlimited lifetime on everything. I'm sure that is the way we will advertise it, stay tuned.
We also want folks to be happy with their purchase and decision/ sizing. Its hard to decide exactly what model, many factors. I belive we will be lifetime on that as well, not at all concerned about unloading a few pre-owned EXCELs.
Not knocking spade at all here, I have been using them and steering clients to them for years and no complaints. We are also not attempting to "one up you" on the warranty thing, I'm sure you guys work with folks and make things correct no matter how long they have owned them. So will we.
Anchor Right Australia has been around a long time too, I'll ask Rex exactly what that date was. A link to the existing warranty is availiable on our site.
ce
We have had excellent service from Rex at anchoright,have been using he's anchors for past 15 years Commericial fishing Bass Strait
Galues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2016, 14:53   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post

Mantus told me that, bent, galv wore off and rust damage (not surface rust), any damage, it's a life time warranty. I bought their 25# anchor, bow roller, anchor swivel, 2 leg bridle with 1/4" ss chain hook and could not be happier. The anchor comes to the bow roller in the correct position everytime, the anchor has been great so far.
Old 20-10-2016, 15:05   #13

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Our chain needs regalvanizing at about 2-3 year intervals. We just throw the anchor in with it... costs very little, likely less than shipping to and from an anchor vendor's place of business. Or do these generous warranties cover shipping costs as well?? And obviously, if lead ballast is involved, this scheme is thwarted, but I have avoided such anchors..

The only anchors that "wear out" IME are CQRs nd their imitators, where wear in the pivot pins does cause performance degradation. I don't recall them being warranted at all!

These vendors that do make warranties should be commended, and hopefully emulated by others, even if the likelihood of needing it is small.

Jim
Old 20-10-2016, 15:33   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Our chain needs regalvanizing at about 2-3 year intervals. We just throw the anchor in with it... costs very little, likely less than shipping to and from an anchor vendor's place of business. Or do these generous warranties cover shipping costs as well?? And obviously, if lead ballast is involved, this scheme is thwarted, but I have avoided such anchors..

The only anchors that "wear out" IME are CQRs nd their imitators, where wear in the pivot pins does cause performance degradation. I don't recall them being warranted at all!

These vendors that do make warranties should be commended, and hopefully emulated by others, even if the likelihood of needing it is small.

Jim
Where do you have your regalvanizing done Jim? Must be local to you or shipping would be high?
Old 20-10-2016, 17:35   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade Anchor View Post

Several great questions =

The Spade Anchors galvanization is covered by the lifetime warranty.

Bending of shanks is covered by the Spade Anchor Lifetime warranty.

Aluminum models and all models/types of the Spade Anchor are covered by the Lifetime Warranty.

Re-galvanizing the Spade Anchor is not necessary. At the sign of any deterioration Spade Anchor will send you an Anchor Refinishing Kit. This kit is a 2 part epoxy resin. It takes about 2 hours of labor to apply it. If the anchor reaches a point that the kit will no longer be satisfactory, than a new anchor is issued to the customer.

Spade Anchor does not judge the condition of the anchor our customer does. If the owner of the Spade Anchor is not happy with the appearance of the Spade Anchor they are given a new one.

Thank you, good to know! I've been very happy with my aluminum Spade on my tri. It's held me in 50-60 knot gusts.
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor