Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2018, 16:15   #1

Boat: Catalina 30 MkII
Catalina 30 mkii Seaworthy?

I just bought a Catalina 30 mkii in San Francisco Bay about a month ago and really enjoy the way it sails compared to my old Montgomery 17. I have dealt with some pretty strong winds and feel extremely comfortable in the protection of the bay, but I fear for the boats sake of sailing odutside of the golden gate. If I become well prepared for an ocean crossing to Hawaii, will that sailboat stay together, and will the ride be comfortable. The survey came back with everything good in case that helps with your reply!

Thank you
Teebeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 16:42   #2
cruiser

Re: Catalina 30 mkii Seaworthy?

Up and down the coast of California harbor hopping in nice weather, no problem. Sailing to Hawaii... I wouldn’t do it in a Catalina 30, but I’m sure others will chime in encouraging you to do it, even though the they’d never consider doing it themselves.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 16:46   #3

The voice of experience here...

It is an AWFUL lot easier getting from San Francisco to Hawaii than making the return trip. It wouldn't have been my first choice (or second, or...) , but headed west, a Catalina 30 would not have been scary. Uncomfortable? Yes. but not scary.

On the other hand, here is not enough money in the world for me get on a Catalina 30 for the trip back. I am sure people have done it. But I wouldn't.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 16:52   #4

Boat: Catalina 30 MkII

In what ways do you think it would be uncomfortable sailing to Hawaii, and what makes sailing back upwind that terrible?
Teebeedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 17:01   #5

Boat: Catalina 30

I spent 25 years on a Catalina 30 and I love them for what they are. They are very forgiving when you carry too much sail and even the Mk1 I had could take a very hard grounding to the keel without structural damage to the hull. (allegedly of course )

The one we had survived a waterspout that passed within 100 yards and put the mast in the water and once I got knocked down so hard by a gust with too much sail up that we flooded the cockpit from the leeward side. (wife to be was not happy about that one, especially as she was sitting on the leeward side and got soaked )

With all that being said and keep in mind I have an affinity for Catalina 30's, I would say it is doable but not necessarily advisable. Can it make it? Sure. People have done it in smaller. But the tankage is small, 18 gallons diesel and 40 gallons of water if my memory is correct. Limited space for batteries, and my personal feeling is I'd rather do it in something a little bigger.

Now if fulfilling my dream of sailing around the world was solely and completely dependent on doing it in a Catalina 30, sure I'd do it over a lot of other production boats (not looking to start a production boat fight) but that doesn't mean I'd necessarily feel 100% comfortable with it either as compared to other options available.
Old 02-11-2018, 20:15   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebeedee View Post
In what ways do you think it would be uncomfortable sailing to Hawaii, and what makes sailing back upwind that terrible?

Sailing upwind on ANY boat for a few weeks is terrible. By definition.

Look into the singlehanded races to Hawaii websites to find what you NEED to have on the boat, for starters. Then look at the list of boats that hjave done it. Skippers and boats work together. Given the skipper as a constant, look at the boats, again.

Good luck, but happy dreaming. Great boats for their intended coastal cruising criteria. For many reasons, all good.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 23:01   #7

Boat: Catalina 470

I have know idea as I've never owned a C30.
This lady did it in a C34

http://www.sailinghaunani.com/blog-1...-34-that-could
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 23:14   #8

As an owner of that same boat I can say I don't think that is something I would want to do with her, could she do it ... Probably...
Now this is not so say I haven't made some nice trips on Harbinger, just that Hawaii is a little over what I would call advisable, especially the return trip. I do however go to Bermuda every year from MA, but any trip longer than that and I wouldn't feel comfortable... But that is my 2¢ ...
That being said however I do really enjoy her, and she makes a pretty good near coastal boat, for very prolonged off shore work, I, would look for something else personally.
SV_Harbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 02:55   #9

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

I have owned 2 Catalina 27's, and Patrick Childress sailed one around the world after some extensive modifications. As an earlier poster noted, someone has already sailed a C34 to Hawaii.

But the fact is a Catalina 30 is designed to be a coastal type family cruiser, not an ocean passage maker. It's like trying to haul 2 tons of stuff in a 1 ton truck - you can probably do it, but only if everything goes just right. And if things go wrong out in the middle of the Pacific....it could be catastrophic.

I would enjoy it for what it is, and if you feel that you really want to cross oceans, either trade yours or crew on something made for it.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:46   #10

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Sailing upwind on ANY boat for a few weeks is terrible. By definition.

Look into the singlehanded races to Hawaii websites to find what you NEED to have on the boat, for starters. Then look at the list of boats that hjave done it. Skippers and boats work together. Given the skipper as a constant, look at the boats, again.

Good luck, but happy dreaming. Great boats for their intendedh boats as coastal cruising criteria. For many reasons, all good.
The List of boats that have sailed singlehanded from San Francisco to Hawaii includes boats like the Merit 25, Olson 30, Cal 20, Bristol 27, Express 27, Moore 24, Hawkfarm 28, Pearson Triton 28, and the Catalina Capri 25.

http://sfbaysss.net/archive-shtp-web...tsThru2012.htm
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:02   #11

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

I know a fellow who spent 3 years in Polynesia in an engineless Catalna 30 some years ago.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:09   #12

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

On the other hand, after reading some other posts, I would not do it myself. A year ago my wife and I spent 10 hours in over 60 kt. head winds just 200 miles north of San Francisco Bay, and a couple days before that 5 or 6 hours in complete darkness in 55 kt head winds with what were reported by others as 19 foot breaking seas just south of Santa Cruz. We were glad that we were in a heavy displacement full keel boat.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:36   #13

OK, time for someone who has sailed to Hawaii and has a Catalina 30...
Sailing there: no problem. Downwind all the way. Autopilot 90% of the time. Easy sail. Figure on 20 days...
Sailing back? Hummm. Miserable trip for the first half. You must beat upwind for days and days attempting to get enough latitude to then hopefully do some sort of reach... and maybe hit Los Angeles. Figure on 40 days of mostly hard sailing.
Now, that's where the problem is: how are you going to keep 40 days of provisions on a 30' boat? You'll run short of water, you'll run short of diesel ( because you will have to motor for a good part of the upwind leg after you get exhausted tacking and tacking endlessly)
In the end, all the fun you had getting there will be erased in the trip back.
It's like the Ensenada Race.... a blast going there, but then coming home is a bummer.

As to weather... you'll have to be very careful. Catalina 30's can be hardened up pretty well, reinforced where necessary, and they will do OK. But remember, they are not made for blue water sailing. That big ole hatch invites water in. The scuppers aren't intended for a full dousing by a wave, and those spindly chainplates, well, gives me the creeps sometimes out on Lake Michigan...
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 09:57   #14

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

Teebeedee, as you gain more experience with your Catalina 30 and you still entertain a sail to Hawaii and back you can gain some appreciation and experience of the upwind return by going out the gate, turning north once past potato patch and begin sailing towards Point Arena and on to Punta Gorda and Cape Mendocino. You should get some idea of how uncomfortable it can be bashing to weather and the demands it puts on your boat and rig. Generally, a well founded sailboat, even a Catalina 30, will take more punishment than a prudent skipper would be comfortable accepting. Enjoy your time sailing San Francisco Bay, one of the great places in the world for sailing.
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 12:13   #15

Boat: Alerion Express 28

"That big ole hatch invites water in."

I used to own a Catalina 30. We had an annual regatta in SF called the Kurt Zane Memorial Regatta. I was told Kurt took his C30 out the Gate near Seal Rock in the winter. A rogue wave struck the boat, tossed him and his crew into the water and the boat flooded through the open hatch and sunk. Err on the side of caution; you only have one life.
DEAN2140 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, catalina 30, seaworthy