Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2016, 13:36   #1

Dominican Republic advice and guide

After having spent 1/2 the year for the last two years in the BVIs and Leewards, we are going to be taking our boat back to North Carolina from the BVIs next year. The plan is to make our way in a leisurely fashion through Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, to the Turks & Caicos, then the Bahamas, across to Florida and up. I can't find a cruising guide to the Dominican Republic. Does anyone have one to suggest? And I'm not sure we want to spend much time there - may just stop for a couple of days on our way up. Any suggestions for where to check in on the northern side of the island? Is it worth a stay of a few weeks? I'd like to reserve a couple of months for the Bahamas.
We have a Caliber 47, with a 5 1/2 ft. draw. Any ideas would be welcome.
muttnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 13:44   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Catamaran, FP 40 ft
Re: Dominican Republic advice and guide

Hi... check this link...A Cruising Guide to the Dominican Republic 6.0 now available : Free Cruising Guides
I used an older version by Frank (who apparently is co owner of the marina). Great place to stay, and on a regular bases they organize a bbq for the visitors.

Best rgds
Pieter
SV Lumina
Lumina Charters – Brazilian Coastal Catamaran Sailing
Pieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:32   #3

Boat: `77 Tartan 37

Doing this trip in Oct. Same thing, bringing boat back to states from Antiqua.

Only part of trip that is an issue is whether to go straight by DR to Turks from PR. Have been the south side using Frank's guide (met him in Boca). Will not go back that route for multiple reasons. I have'nt been the north route. I've read a lot of troubling stories about the north side. But, I doubt it's much different or worse than the south.

Would love to hear from those that have done this trip.

I'll most likely be single-handing this, so it's a big deal for me to do the straight shot to the Turks.
glymroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:15   #4

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

I think Steve Pavilidis also has a guide to the D.R., or at least that area. Bruce Van Sant's book Gentleman's Guide to passages South is a bit dated, but useful.
Old 20-07-2016, 10:56   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

I passed through the DR this past season. Loved it! I recommend checking out the Active Captain Reviews. van Sants book was quite useful and we even met him in Luperon. So I would go from PR to Samana. Stay at Marina Puerto Bahia. The place is top notch and affordable. Spend a couple of days exploring the National park on the south side of the bay at anchor or just do day trips from Marina. The check in and out were easy and no stress. We didn't really explore the north coast of the DR very much with exception of Luperon which I highly recommend. We did anchor out on the north side in places Van Sant recommended but only for rest. Luperon is a great place to do a few land excursions from. You will also want to provision heavily on the North side in Puerto Plata before going to the expensive and scarce Bahamas for stores. You can rent a car and do this from Luperon. Driver and car was $50 for the day. What other questions do you have?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jacob30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2016, 11:04   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Dominican Republic advice and guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacob30 View Post
I passed through the DR this past season. Loved it! I recommend checking out the Active Captain Reviews. van Sants book was quite useful and we even met him in Luperon. So I would go from PR to Samana. Stay at Marina Puerto Bahia. The place is top notch and affordable. Spend a couple of days exploring the National park on the south side of the bay at anchor or just do day trips from Marina. The check in and out were easy and no stress. We didn't really explore the north coast of the DR very much with exception of Luperon which I highly recommend. We did anchor out on the north side in places Van Sant recommended but only for rest. Luperon is a great place to do a few land excursions from. You will also want to provision heavily on the North side in Puerto Plata before going to the expensive and scarce Bahamas for stores. You can rent a car and do this from Luperon. Driver and car was $50 for the day. What other questions do you have?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
A few pictures. View from Marina pool, whales in Samana and a cave in the park.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1469037715.948337.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	128125Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1469037772.099850.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	128126Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1469037877.567252.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	52.9 KB