Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
Robbery at Port Louis Marina, Grenada

Thought there might be some interest in this incident:

Voyage Of Symbiosis: We Was Robbed!
Old 21-08-2016, 08:16   #2

Re: Robbery at Port Louis Marina, Grenada

Wow. As a retired LEO, I agree Sinatra was probably just being a good Samaritan. A thief trying to top off a robbery with a con job would have probably run like a scared rabbit at the first mention of the police showing up.

There are more good people than bad, in most places. We can't ever forget that!
Old 21-08-2016, 08:32   #3
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

What a bizarre story!

Things that spring to mind:

Locals generally and genuinely like Americans(!!) and all cruisers because the US and Caribbean Coalition invasion of Grenada that rescued them from communism. Yep.

You can't fence off water.

In a proper working port there are many local boats. Its one thing that makes St George's WONDERFUL!

At least their boat was locked. Albeit with a breakable lock

Security is up to you to inform marina staff of suspicious people. Yes, it gets very difficult to identify who is suspicious, just because they are black doesn't mean they are not wealthy boat owners. (Visit the yacht club over the bay and see)

Don't leave valuables in backpacks in the boat. Spred them around if there's no safe.

Carnival time has a high crime rate because the local poor people want to have money to party so they go on a Robert spree just prior and during carnival.

If you have $400 or high amounts of cash on your boat not secured its expendable.

Dinner and some money was a very nice reward for the finders. Dinner especially so as it shows an egalitarian feeling

Interesting story.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 08:41   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Here's a photo of some of the pro-USA graffiti still visible in Grenada. The locals kinda think anyone who is a tourist is American.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roadside-breeze-block-wall-with-spray-paint-graffiti-thanking-the-D1HXBT.jpg
Views:	393
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	129887  
Old 21-08-2016, 08:47   #5

I think someone just happening to assume the passport came from the marina is a BIG red flag.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 09:55   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
What a bizarre story!

Things that spring to mind:

Locals generally and genuinely like Americans(!!) and all cruisers because the US and Caribbean Coalition invasion of Grenada that rescued them from communism. Yep.

You can't fence off water.

In a proper working port there are many local boats. Its one thing that makes St George's WONDERFUL!

At least their boat was locked. Albeit with a breakable lock

Security is up to you to inform marina staff of suspicious people. Yes, it gets very difficult to identify who is suspicious, just because they are black doesn't mean they are not wealthy boat owners. (Visit the yacht club over the bay and see)

Don't leave valuables in backpacks in the boat. Spred them around if there's no safe.

Carnival time has a high crime rate because the local poor people want to have money to party so they go on a Robert spree just prior and during carnival.

If you have $400 or high amounts of cash on your boat not secured its expendable.

Dinner and some money was a very nice reward for the finders. Dinner especially so as it shows an egalitarian feeling

Interesting story.
Mark - yep, I agree with everything you've said here. One clarification -- this occurred the week after Carnival, but otherwise I think you're observations are spot on. Before we left, I considered installing a locked safe, but then I thought it would just attract attention and become a theft target. In retrospect, however, I think it would have worked in this situation.
Old 21-08-2016, 09:56   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Wow. As a retired LEO, I agree Sinatra was probably just being a good Samaritan. A thief trying to top off a robbery with a con job would have probably run like a scared rabbit at the first mention of the police showing up.

I am almost certain they were not directly involved.
Old 21-08-2016, 11:55   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I think someone just happening to assume the passport came from the marina is a BIG red flag.
She did not assume the passport came from someone at the marina. She assumed that the identification (Driver's license), etc. was from someone at the marina. She claims to have found them in her community, which is adjacent to the marina. So, I think it could be a logical assumption.

The passport was found by a police officer in the same general area.
Old 21-08-2016, 12:48   #9
Long Range Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Mark - yep, I agree with everything you've said here. One clarification -- this occurred the week after Carnival, but otherwise I think you're observations are spot on. Before we left, I considered installing a locked safe, but then I thought it would just attract attention and become a theft target. In retrospect, however, I think it would have worked in this situation.
Sorry, I didn't realise it was your boat! You didn't explicitly say that in the OP. But I guessed with the FB mention from mutual friends.

At least now you have had the full Caribbean cruising experience

Mark
Old 21-08-2016, 12:52   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
Excellent point and nice to see. Often forgotten.
Waterrat10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 12:55   #11

sneuman

Crazy story thanks for sharing. I would like to give you props for appropriately using the word "hypothesis" instead of the often poorly chosen "theory". That is a pet peeve of mine and it is refreshing to hear/read appropriate use.
Waterrat10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 12:59   #12

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Eleuthera 60

First off, sorry for your experiences there. I spent 2 hurricane seasons there and had very good experiences both times. Markj is spot on. They love Americans there and everyone will want to tell you stories about the time Reagan and the american marines came and kicked out the communists. One fellow, Paul, had dozens of photos of him and the marines. His proudest possessions. And he didn't have many to start with. He lived under an overturned dingy across from the S dock mentioned in the story. His home having been destroyed years earlier by the hurricane.

Both seasons I was stern too on the furthest dock out there. Couple hundred yards (if that) from the shoreline that is dotted with local small craft. Some, being home to the owner. Like Paul. I locked up my boat and went home for 8 weeks. Said good bye to the kayak figuring it would be gone in no time. Left the engine hatches unlocked figuring the loss of some oil and filters was a better option than fiberglass repairs from the hatches being jimmied. Anyway…. never lost a thing. Nothing. And when I left the last time some locals we got to know loaded us up with so much fruit and veggies we didn't grocery shop for weeks. We had a papaya that you could hardly wrap your arms around. I really like Grenada and its people. Looking forward to getting back there someday.

Safe travels all.

Mike
S/V Vivo
mikefp60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2016, 13:16   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterrat10 View Post
sneuman

Crazy story thanks for sharing. I would like to give you props for appropriately using the word "hypothesis" instead of the often poorly chosen "theory". That is a pet peeve of mine and it is refreshing to hear/read appropriate use.
Mine, too, actually!
Old 21-08-2016, 13:19   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefp60 View Post
First off, sorry for your experiences there. I spent 2 hurricane seasons there and had very good experiences both times. Markj is spot on. They love Americans there and everyone will want to tell you stories about the time Reagan and the american marines came and kicked out the communists. One fellow, Paul, had dozens of photos of him and the marines. His proudest possessions. And he didn't have many to start with. He lived under an overturned dingy across from the S dock mentioned in the story. His home having been destroyed years earlier by the hurricane.

Both seasons I was stern too on the furthest dock out there. Couple hundred yards (if that) from the shoreline that is dotted with local small craft. Some, being home to the owner. Like Paul. I locked up my boat and went home for 8 weeks. Said good bye to the kayak figuring it would be gone in no time. Left the engine hatches unlocked figuring the loss of some oil and filters was a better option than fiberglass repairs from the hatches being jimmied. Anyway…. never lost a thing. Nothing. And when I left the last time some locals we got to know loaded us up with so much fruit and veggies we didn't grocery shop for weeks. We had a papaya that you could hardly wrap your arms around. I really like Grenada and its people. Looking forward to getting back there someday.

Safe travels all.

Mike
S/V Vivo
This hasn't soured our opinion of Grenada. It's just one of those things. We love it here!

Tags
Grenada