Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Europe & Mediterranean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2019, 06:22   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Canals of southern France. Which one?

Daugher and her family planning charter a canal boat in France next spring. Looking for input on two things, where and when.

The when, she is somewhat restricted by a work schedule and has vacation time the first half of May. Is the typical weather going to be too wet and cold that time of year?

Then the where. Seems like dozens of options for chartering on the canals and rivers of France. Due to the timing I think the only option will be southern France but?? Assuming the south, where? From reading a few reports it sounds like the Midi could get quite crowded which they would like to avoid. I think the ideal would be an area with some towns for shopping, supplies and shore excursions but avoiding large urban areas.

Any ideas or suggestions welcome.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 07:06   #2

Boat: Hunter 386
Re: Canals of southern France. Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Daugher and her family planning charter a canal boat in France next spring. Looking for input on two things, where and when.

The when, she is somewhat restricted by a work schedule and has vacation time the first half of May. Is the typical weather going to be too wet and cold that time of year?

Then the where. Seems like dozens of options for chartering on the canals and rivers of France. Due to the timing I think the only option will be southern France but?? Assuming the south, where? From reading a few reports it sounds like the Midi could get quite crowded which they would like to avoid. I think the ideal would be an area with some towns for shopping, supplies and shore excursions but avoiding large urban areas.

I don't know but I would guess Midi would be ok in the early season. Probably the only time I would give it a swing. We've done all our trips in July or August so no help with the weather.

I've done the Burgundy (Clamency to Migennes), the Alsace and Bordeaux (Montabaun to Le Mas-d'Agenais). I like the ones with fewer urban areas. There shouldn't be any issues with shopping or supplies unless you are looking for haute couture. Visiting the small towns and lining up for your daily baguette is half the fun.

The Bordeaux trip started in the SW and headed north. We some some magnificent sights: Moissac and Agen were great and then we backtracked to Nerac which I think was the highlight except for the wine collective in Buzet sur Baïse... wine from a pump...how could you not love that!

Anyway, any question that you think I can help with, ask away...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040516.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	184023   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1040517.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	449.2 KB
ID:	184024  

Old 18-01-2019, 07:35   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

When I first looked at your post I wondered why you were showing pictures at the fuel dock. But, wine from a pump. Amazing.

I think Bordeaux or Burgundy would be nice but the big concern for me is the weather.
Old 18-01-2019, 08:17   #4

skip, no one can predict the weather, so you do for canals what you do for the ocean, look at statistics. I'm sure the French weather channels have stats for wherever you end up going.

The furthest south we've done was the Midi, a wonderful one way cruise from Castlenaudary to the Med. Big towns? Yes, a couple, but they were really fun.

We cruised the Nivernais, but it was out and back (never as much fun), down the Loire for a day or so and crossed at Decize. Truly farm country.

Can't say one over the other: two different boats, Nivernais was our first trip, more experienced for the Midi having done a narrowboat and The Thames in the UK in between.

You almost can't go wrong, so it's down to the weather. Unless you go in August I don't think crowds would be an issue.

Have fun.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 10:50   #5

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

I bought and read this ebook, which I found worthwhile. Many photos and details of various routes. They rate the relative visual interest of each route which helps get the possibilities down to a reasonable list.

https://www.eurocanals.com/EuroCanal.../contents.html
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2019, 11:22   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
I bought and read this ebook, which I found worthwhile. Many photos and details of various routes. They rate the relative visual interest of each route which helps get the possibilities down to a reasonable list.

I always made a point of preordering the canal guidebook. It really helps with the planning: https://www.carte-fluviale.com/en/

Be sure to look at the surrounding countryside as well. We took a 15 minute cab ride from the canal to Vezalay and were rewarded with a world-class cathedral out in the middle of nowhere...
Old 18-01-2019, 17:01   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
skip, no one can predict the weather, so you do for canals what you do for the ocean, look at statistics. I'm sure the French weather channels have stats for wherever you end up going.

The furthest south we've done was the Midi, a wonderful one way cruise from Castlenaudary to the Med. Big towns? Yes, a couple, but they were really fun.

We cruised the Nivernais, but it was out and back (never as much fun), down the Loire for a day or so and crossed at Decize. Truly farm country.

Can't say one over the other: two different boats, Nivernais was our first trip, more experienced for the Midi having done a narrowboat and The Thames in the UK in between.

You almost can't go wrong, so it's down to the weather. Unless you go in August I don't think crowds would be an issue.

Have fun.
Thanks Stu. Believe me I understand about long range weather forecasts. In fact if you figure out how to predict the weather a couple of months in advance let me know so I can buy stock in your company. Just hoping I could get some first-hand experience to go along with the research I've done on the typical weather patterns.

Thanks for the comment about not too crowded except in August. I was hoping that might be the case on the Midi. Considering the time of year, the weather potential and the fact that it probably won't be too crowded I think the Midi looks like where will need to go. And I'm sure we will have loads of fun.
Old 18-01-2019, 17:03   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post

I will have to check when I get home but that maybe one of the books I've downloaded. If not I will check it out. Thanks
Old 18-01-2019, 17:09   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
I always made a point of preordering the canal guidebook. It really helps with the planning: https://www.carte-fluviale.com/en/

Be sure to look at the surrounding countryside as well. We took a 15 minute cab ride from the canal to Vezalay and were rewarded with a world-class cathedral out in the middle of nowhere...
I might have overdosed on Cathedrals when we went to Italy last year but we definitely want to get out in the countryside to see some of the surrounding areas.
Old 19-01-2019, 02:27   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

France? France? sacre bleu

You know they only eat snails and frogs

Wouldn't you prefer a country that eats beef rather than Escargot?

We have just booked a week on here in March, need to brush up on my navigation and IRPCS

Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 05:25   #11

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Wouldn't you prefer a country ...

Thank you for that video, Pete7. I find the British canal system fascinating and intriguing and hope to spend some time on it one day. The human scale engineering of the canals, locks, and bridges appeals to me in a way that the 110'x600' locks and six-lane concrete bridges on the Mississippi do not. The British canals are full of history, and the narrowboats themselves have a long tradition behind them.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 05:37   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
France? France? sacre bleu

You know they only eat snails and frogs

Wouldn't you prefer a country that eats beef rather than Escargot?

We have just booked a week on here in March, need to brush up on my navigation and IRPCS
Now that is a narrow boat. But March? Isn't it a bit chilly in March? And people talk funny around there. It sounds kind of like English but sometimes it's hard to tell.

Snails? Beef? Neither daughter nor hubby care about snails or beef. Daughter is a vegetarian and hubby eats fish.
Old 19-01-2019, 05:54   #13

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Subscribed.

Weve talked about cruisinc euro canals.

Seems weather statistics should be quite easy to look up on line...any reason not?

In addition to the OPs which canals question, Im also interested in which charter companies are recommended?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 06:01   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Canals of southern France. Which one?

Bordeaux should be fine in May.. some beaut country down the Garonne..
https://www.french-waterways.com/wat...ab-content-0-0

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2019, 07:23   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Subscribed.

Weve talked about cruisinc euro canals.

Seems weather statistics should be quite easy to look up on line...any reason not?

In addition to the OPs which canals question, Im also interested in which charter companies are recommended?
I've used LeBoat... which is owned by TUI which makes them sister companies of Moorings and Sunsail... They have a full range of fancy new boats all the way down to some old clunkers. I prefer the old clunkers...much cheaper and who needs all that fancy crap anyway. I also used to prefer their website, which let me choose my boat and route by availability so I could get the deal I wanted.

Locaboat is also big and have a uniquie Penichette style boat. Lots of bases and people I've talked to are generally pleased.

Nicols is the the third big one. There schtick is that you can get a tow along hottub :-)

If I had all the money I would go for FranceAfloat and their Euroclassic steel boats. We've been docked along side some of these and they are gorgeous.

And of course there are lots of smaller companies.

But its all about the routes. Check out the various companies, find their bases, focus on one-way trips and dive into the research on what to see and do.

Tags
canal, France