Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.22 average. Display Modes
Old 25-06-2008, 14:53   #61

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Test

I am test a new program called "faststone" a freeware a friend gave me. If this works I should be able to load up some searunner shots. I am currently on anchor in the Aleutian Islands and using wireless from a village. All the villages in Ak. have been wired for internet...amazing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	test.jpg
Views:	1213
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	4054  
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 15:09   #62

OK

OK I can seee this will get fun. I will have to take off for a two day run and should have some time then to post some shots. I have some shots of the line terminations we are using for Dynex Dux rigging. I am under the impression most riggers do not yet know about Dynex Dux as it is a fishing industry line. Way better then spectra or other lines. You can check it out at Colligo Colligonautique.com John is a good friend of mine who has a 38 foot Tri and we both have rigged with the stuff. Also Brion Toss is re-rigging his monohull and has a lot of info on synthetics on his website briontoss.com....1/6th the weight and much stronger, easy to splice, corrosion free on and on.....:-)
Attached Images

Old 25-06-2008, 15:23   #63

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Rann, By all means, come visit. Please try to give me as much advance warning as possible. I am currently working on a Catana 431 cat at Knight & Carver boatyard in South San Diego Bay, but I could meet you at Southwestern Yacht Club for lunch and a visit aboard WILDERNESS. I'll be working on the cat all this week and weekend, with an eye to launching it Monday or Tuesday. Monday and Tuesday would be the only days I can't play, at least until I bring it back to its slip in Shelter Island.

I'll send you directions and my cell number if you send me a private message. I look forward to meeting you.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2008, 15:55   #64

I am just now heading out, here are a few shots of our fishing boat, my sail boat in Mexico and the launch. we all have our own trailers. They charge $13 to launch. I keep the boat right in front of my house, makes for great get aways. Will send more later...:-)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_1033.JPG
Views:	637
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	4056   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0718.jpg
Views:	830
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	4057  

Name:	IMG_1852.JPG
Views:	784
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	4058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0616.JPG
Views:	795
Size:	146.0 KB
ID:	4059  

Name:	IMGP2286.JPG
Views:	670
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	4060   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2635.JPG
Views:	670
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	4061  

Old 29-06-2008, 03:39   #65

jmolan (and others)- great timing for me to find this post...

I am in the beginning stages of completely rebuilding a 37' searunner tri named Moonshadow in WA state...

I will have much more to share in the future, but for now, I would like to ask for details about the trailer you use for your tri.

I am currently looking into modifying a 42' flat deck, 3 axle trailer to move my boat a short distance.

I looked through most all of your album(s) and didn't see any other pictures of your trailer setup. Therefore, any other pictures or a description of the layout would be very greatly appreciated...

It is pretty difficult to tell the overall layout of your trailer, but it looks to have 2 axles located close to the the rear...and it also appears to be greater than 8' wide... would you happen to know:
-the distance from the back of the boat/ (or trailer) to the axles?
-width
-is weight primarily on minikeel/ or on the wing trailer "bunks" / how do you support minikeel or how does the support system for the main hull/ minikeel work ?

Also- any input from those who have used a system similar to the one Brown describes in one of his books to step the mast, without a crane using a beam at deck level as a false tabernacle, and the boom as a lever - would be very greatly appreciated ... what tips can you give me that might simplify this process?

Thank You!

It is great to find a current discussion like this, perfect timing for me to come across it!
purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 07:41   #66

Purvisgs, Is the trailer for a one-shot or repeated launchings, and what is the transport distance? What terrain will it have to traverse?
Old 29-06-2008, 15:26   #67

It is basically for a one time haul out; although I may consider keeping the trailer for future use, but storing it for years might prove to be a hassle...

The terrain is not great - paved roads but the hill up from the launch ramp is a steep grade, maybe 15% or slightly more even...

distance is 1/2 mile. all the corners are do-able

the general plan is to have the minikeel resting on cross bracing steel beams, on top of the main (long-ways) beams that the axles are attached to. The trailer that I am looking into has 3 axles, it is 42' long, the axles are next to each other, relatively close to the back, maybe 10'-12' from the back wheel to end of trailer.

If this trailer does not work out, I will be looking around for stripped house trailer (single wide)/ or similar frames.. only other option for a trailer that I have found so far seems a bit short at 34' overall, 2 axles, flatbed style with wood deck (I would remove this) although it would be possible to have overhang front and back, this would seem to me to just create more of a challenge. this trailer is rated at 11500 lbs, my boat I would guess weighs ~9500 now with engine and everything else out.

Does it seem like 2 axles (especially 2 axles right next to each other) may be pushing my luck....?

Back to the larger (42') trailer that I mentioned:
I was considering a somewhat similar setup to this trailer:
1981 Searunner Trimaran Título

but the idea of supporting the boat at the wing near main hull junction would make sense because: I would have more access to hull for repairs, and it seems like it would add a lot more stability

thinking about probably using one or 2 sets of metal (welded or bolted) upright supports and also 4"x4" wood bracing as necessary...

your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated...

thanks!!!
purvisgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2008, 16:04   #68

Unfortunately, I have no pics of my own trailer setup. I used the services of a heavy equipment mover, using a low-boy trailer. First, I jacked the boat up using house jacks on the minikeel, stabilizing, as I went, with blocks set on 55 gallon drums. It went easily. When the minikeel was higher than the back end of the low-boy (where the center of the trailer is lower than the back end), I added more oil drums and blocking to the floats, then removed the house jacks. Everything was solid and secure. Then, we backed the trailer under the main hull, used blocking under the minikeel, and lowered the boat, again with house jacks, onto the blocking. Then some more blocking as needed with wedges, strapped and tied the boat to the trailer to keep it from moving during the 1 1/2 mile ride at 3 AM to the boatyard crane. It was a piece of cake, aided by utter exhaustion, and later, by ample amounts of medicinal spirits.
Old 16-07-2008, 02:27   #69

Boat: Cross 38 trimaram
searunner 34

Just wondering how the searunner 34 rates as a liveaboard cruiser for a couple. Have looked at the 40 which is a good sized boat but it got me thinking do we need the 3 doubles etc, ??? but having coastal cruised in a 30'tri would the 34 feel tight after awhile,,,, I'd appreciate any experienced thoughts,
regards,
M.
manawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 08:29   #70

Since you have had actual experience in a 30' tri, you can appreciate the pros and cons of larger craft. The 34 would largely duplicate your own boat's handling characteristics, as far as performance in heavy wind and adverse chop. The 37 and 40, being more powerful, more bouyant, and heavier, would behave significantly different. If you were happy with the accomodations, galley, head, berths, and with the storage capacity for necessary equipment, tools, spares, toys, books, food, water, fuel, etc., then stick with the smaller boat. If not, then consider how far and for how long you would like to venture in a new boat. The 37 and the 40 are better for long voyages to destinations where you will possibly have fewer local resources available. They will also be a bit more comfortable over the duration of the passage, especially in nasty conditions. My 40 has only two cabins with accomodations for two couples, at most. Sometimes, even two can seem like a crowd, and it's nice to be able to curl up in a corner with a book, or retreat to your workshop to tinker, alone.

I went through the very same questions when I began to think about building a boat. The smaller boats are quicker to complete (if a boat can ever be truly completed), cheaper to furnish with sails, winches, and other gear, and easier to singlehand (at 3AM, every boat feels singlehanded). I made my decision based on the reasoning that I would only endure this exercise once, and have to live with the consequences. I went for the maximum I could handle alone, which turned out to be the forty. I have only regretted it when it came time to buy gear or sand the boat for repainting. I hope this helps.
Old 16-07-2008, 10:00   #71
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
I would second everything Roy mentions. I would say the key phrase is "live aboard cruiser". Consider the payload specs of the three boats. This is from the specification sheet for the Searunner series. The 34 is 2000 lbs, the 37 is 2400 lbs, and the 40 is 3600 lbs. The 40 does lend itself better to alternate interior arrangements. Some have a main stateroom in the stern others have the dinette there. My feeling is that the dinette in the stern is a better layout for a couple while the other layout is better for a family as it can provide more separate sleeping quarters. We have the short sterncastle with the dinette, while some 40's have a longer sterncastle cabin and this gives even more interior options. We have two doubles forward and a single berth aft next to the nav station.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 10:46   #72
Kai Nui

Purvisgs, Check out the photos of my tri in the gallery. It is on a trailer made from some I-Beams, and widened front truck axles. With some scrounging in a local truck wrecking yard, and a bit of welding, this might be an option. If you are anywhere in Ca, I would be happy to give you this one. We are about to splash. Would have last weekend, but, well good help is hard to find.
Old 16-07-2008, 17:01   #73

Boat: 44 CC Marples design trimaran
Trailer launching

I'm in the middle of building a Constant Camber 44 with the classic Searunner layout- center cockpit, cutter rig, drop centerboard etc. I built the main hull and assembled everything on a treated 4x12 cradle which was bolted together. The main strength bulkheads and the keel band take most of the weight. My idea was that I would slip a lowboy trailer or add some mobil home axles on a welded dolly arrangement for transport.
Now, the question is can this be done? For it's size a 44 foot long 27 feet wide trimaran isn't really all that heavy. I was hoping that we could use the construction cradle and just lower the thing down a boat ramp to launch. We are about three miles from water on two sides. However, the very real possibility of a first class disaster wakes me up frequently in a cold sweat. I know Clark Wagaman, builder of Rikki-tikki-tavi, a Constant Camber 40 used a boat mover and launched from a boat ramp. Anyone have any insights? We're near Galveston.
PhantomBoatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2008, 17:05   #74
Kai Nui

Years ago, someone told me nothing is impossible with a torch and enough money. I think this might be true in your case.
The big issue will be finding someone willing to back their lowboy into salt water.
Old 16-07-2008, 19:03   #75

Boat: Cross 38 trimaram
liveaboard searunner

Steve and Roy, thank you for your replies, sort of confirmed my gut feelings. The aft dinette /galley on the 40' is a great space. [my wife loves it]
I'm looking at the 2 for sale in San Carlos mexico, am in the process of lining up a survey on Patches on the hard at Guaymas. It's always a little harder doing thngs from a distance. Any local knowledge on these boat would be appreciated.
Regards,
Mick
manawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, Searunner, trimaran