Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2017, 03:07   #1

Teak deck replacement in Turkey or Greece

We have a Discovery 55 needing its teak deck replacing. We have been told Turkey is the best place to have this done. We are in Preveza Greece at the moment. Can anyone who has had this done recommend a good boatyard in Turkey or Greece? We would like it done during the winter so would be good if we can leave it on the hard for the winter. Very grateful for any advice.
Thankyou.
Sue and Tim
SueandTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:23   #2

Re: Teak deck replacement in Turkey or Greece

The boys at Kusadasi have done a number of replacements, I've looked at their work and it's very good. You know the original teak came from old growth forests and is a much longer lasting teak compared to the plantation teak available today. There are many different grades of teak and the price of course changes a lot from the cheaper grades to the more expensive ones. Call the yard ahead of time to see if they still have their master carpenters on staff as there have been cutbacks due to the lack of work. Good luck, R
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 03:35   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sue & Tim.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:01   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

We have great experience in teak deck replacement and 3 carpenters in our yard. . We have done 3 Swans, 2 Jeanneau, one Catana 58, 2 FP Orana, 3 Helias over the last 3 years. As Robert said, there are various quality of teaks and also various quality of craftmanship. As a result, the prices vary from 300 € to 1.000 € per sqm.
We can also provide you with a berth for wintering in our marina if you want the work to be done in winter.
Send me a PM if you are interested, for more info and references.

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 23:13   #5

Hello Yeloya. This is first time using a forum & I wrongly returned an email to you not via the forum so will repeat! Very keen to have more information, references, quote for work & overwintering. Where is your boatyard? You said to send you a PM, I don't know what a PM is do I hope you get this ! SueandTim
SueandTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 23:21   #6

Boat: PDQ 36

Sue or Tim, if you click on his name (in blue) in the box to the left of his message, you will a drop down menu and one of the options is to send a private message (a PM). That way it becomes a private communication just between the two of you.

Kim
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 02:41   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Sue and Tom -- we just watched Yes-Yachting here in Kusadasi replace the entire deck of an Oyster and wow is all I can say -- info@yes-yachting.com - the owner is Tuncay and a very knowledgable about boats and how to fix them
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 03:16   #8

Boat: Tayana 37, 1978

Hi,
While in Turkey doing repairs I got a good offer (550euros/sqm) to change the teak deck on my 1979 Tayana 37. The thickness should be 1/2" (12.5mm) and the price included removing the old deck and installing the new one exactly as the original but without the 2000+ screws. We almost agreed but when the contractor found out that I will be living onboard during the installation he increased the price. It turned out that he had in mind :
a) Not to remove the screws but just cutting them off flash with the deck.
b) The teak would be just 8mm thick prefabricated in his shop and glued on 4mm plywood. On site he just would glue the prefabricated plates on the deck using thickened epoxy resin. Only the edge trim would be 1/2" thick.

Be careful. They are good technicians, good and friendly people but most of the time they do not respect their contracts. My advise is to hire a supervisor - translator (many Europeans are there doing this as a job) to keep a close look to the project and to add a couple of months to the estimated delivery time.

PK
S/V Cookelu meu, Tayana 37

PS: I postponed the teak deck job until next year. Planning to do the project in Colombia next year for a fraction of the cost.
Panos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 12:19   #9

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I lived aboard in Marmaris for 4 years, a decade ago. I saw several beautiful teak decks put down. At this point I can't make a specific recommendation for a contractor, but I can assure you that it is possible to get what you want done to your satisfaction. The best approach is probably wait until you get there and then ask around for recommendations, and meet the folks face-to-face before making a commitment. Then be present while the job is done - which applies to any job anywhere on a yacht - just the sad reality. Also, if you are going to consider any recommendations here you should communicate privately (PM or email) and get a fuller picture - even some of the best contractors may have some weaknesses worth knowing about, and satisfied customers may be reluctant to put them out publicly.

I worked with an individual craftsman (known as Apache) to overhaul my teak deck, with very good results. We re-caulked, re-fastened, replaced a couple of planks, and sanded the deck. Admittedly most will not want to get down on their knees and share in the work but it fit my needs.

Enjoy your time in Marmaris - I certainly did.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 01:38   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
Sue and Tom -- we just watched Yes-Yachting here in Kusadasi replace the entire deck of an Oyster and wow is all I can say -- info@yes-yachting.com - the owner is Tuncay and a very knowledgable about boats and how to fix them

An update on this -- we are hearing that some of the contractors in Kusadasi may be leaving as the cost of their space in the marina is high and there are so few boats here that they can not afford it.
We have heard from several sources that Kusadasi lost between 50-80 boats last year with them going south or to Greece. Kusadasi if it continues in it's current trend will be a small little port for local boats only.

Oh and the local chandlery closed late last year that is forcing us to go to Izmir to get boat parts or having them shipped in from Istanbul.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, Greece, men, teak, teak deck, Turkey