Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Manufacturers Forums > Fountaine Pajot
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2019, 08:10   #1

Boat: fountaine pajot athena 38
Sailing with Genoa only

I believe FP does not recommend sailing with only the genoa, no mainsail, on my Athena. Wouldn't sailing with a tight topping lift and tight mainsheet support the mast?
FSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 00:21   #2

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II
Re: Sailing with Genoa only

Interested why you think FP do not endorse Genoa only. Our manual makes no reference to sailing like that. I cannot think that under genoa only, the rigging load is as high as running with the main in use.
We fairly often sail off wind with just genoa, particularly when it's windy. Quite a number of cats do the ARC with just headsails, often with spinnakers.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:00   #3

Boat: FP Bahia 46’

In our user’s manual pertaining to sail plan under different wind conditions , once wind over 35 knots at 110 degrees angle the manual says “ NO MAIN “ and 25% of Genoa unfurled. .
When cruising we quite often use head sail only if we are not in a hurry to reach our destination, the majority of catamaran sailors do the same 👌👍
Adonf46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 14:09   #4

Boat: 2015 Fountaine Pajot SABA 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSmith View Post
I believe FP does not recommend sailing with only the genoa, no mainsail, on my Athena. Wouldn't sailing with a tight topping lift and tight mainsheet support the mast?
I do it all the time with a Saba 50.... My rig is VERY powerful, with heavy triangulation, and big upper side stays raked back... I have a very strong rig, and would not doubt flying a head sail alone.. In winds up to about 15-18 knots I fly a very big Gennaker. In winds sort of 20-25, I furl it and run a big working jib on the like inner forestay original rig... I have rigged my big gennaker out on the little prodder, a double head stay rig. I do this out of lazyiness, and a partly disabled wife now, I single handle the Saba 50 and for short runs the main can stay down...

You can see pictures of it, and how I have strengthened the topping lift on the main sail boom, in the Topic IMPROVEMENTS ON THE SABA 50...

Kind regards, Steve, on Saba 50 SERENITY.....
Helia 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:44   #5

Tell us what happen when you lost the halyard which flew out of the spin lock jammer , went all the way up the mast , flew out of the exit block and dumped the Genoa in front of the two hulls in the drink , where you sailing solo that day on your helix 👌👍. Just curious as I am trying to learn what NOT TO DO being a newbie to sailing .
Kind regards
Arthur .
Old 10-12-2019, 12:53   #6

Hello Arthur,

You got it all wrong, read the above post again. The halyard came down in the reverse, from the top- down having chaffed through at the Z-Spar pivoting turning block at the top of the furler. I had it up a little too high, too close to that sheave, and it chafed through. And, I was on a broad reach, and it went over the side.... Just turned up into the wind and stalled the boat so I could haul the sail aboard.

The picture above gets rid of the flap of a Z-Spar turning block, and is rigged differently now a little higher and two to one purchase...

Newbie Tip? Lay down on the dock and with good binoculars, inspect your halyards for chaff and your furlers for problems...
Old 12-12-2019, 20:55   #7

That is not what I remember , there was nothing wrong with the halyard , how do I know this , well simple , you offered me $150.00 to go up your mast and feed the halyard back down to you through the mast , the problem was that you could not retrieve it at deck level , so I ended up running it externally to the mast to get you out of trouble until you could get it fixed .
Cheers
Arthur :whist ling:
Old 13-12-2019, 11:25   #8

Hello Arthur!!

That was another time, like years ago, like maybe four five years ago, and on another boat. That was on my Helia 44... And yes, my own blue coming around a tight island "Double Cone"? and I don't remember just how it happened but it was a blunder all my fault..

On that time I got hopelessly tangled up single handling on a tack checking out a small island for possible landing for beach combing. As I remember it, it was so bad of a back winded tangle, as I remember it I could not tack to clear it because I was too close to the island I was checking out.. As I remember I had to drop the forward head sail on the deck and fire and engine to get clear.. And you are right, my mistake, in the mad scramble trying to stay off the little islet, I made the classic blunder and did not tie a figure eight knot in the end of the halyard.. Boo-boo on top of boo-boo..

If that was the time, what maybe 4-5 years ago, you helped me and I sent you up the mast.. Thank you again... !

We need to make these little blunders now and then to remind ourselves.. Now I have a five to one purchase with double sheave blocks to haul up the mast so I can go up hauling by myself.. I used to do that 30-40 years ago! Now carry that big rig and Bosuns Chair again..

Now blessed to be on the Saba 50 "Serenity" the BIG Sister to the Helia 44, and still based in Mooloolaba. You can find me by the huge collection around the house and deck of floats, and buoys, and fenders, and all the rest..
Old 13-12-2019, 12:42   #9

Hey ,
Yes I saw your house back in May when I came to Mooloolaba where I purchased my Bahia , impressive collection that you have on your deck overlooking the canal , your new boat looked great as well , nice set up that you have there , very similar to what I have down here on the canal in Paynesville . Being an old style kind of guy I prefer the " old" design from FP with nice rounded shapes both on the inside and outside and very nice timber works , hence purchasing the Bahia after selling the AfriCat 420. I sailed her down home by myself , surprisingly
fast and extremely comfortable , have since done quite a few upgrades to her and still working on it . Have posted some pics on the forum .
Anyway , happy sailing and a merry xmas to you and your lady
Cheers

Tags
Genoa, sail, sailing