Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2019, 15:38   #16

Boat: Hunter 33 Cherubini , Catalina 14.2
Re: Prepping a Catalina 22 for the Caribbean

We had a C22 for several years and loved it.
We made repeated trips to the Keys and Biscayne Bay and countless daysails in the Atlantic (sometimes when we probably shouldn't have).
We broke a lot of gear , including a rudder , though mostly small.

Pick your weather but be prepared.

First and foremost is to understand how can they sink. Research shows that in a knockdown the lazarrete hatch opens and begins to fill causing the keel to scissor up and gonzo.
So number one. Keep those hatches secure. Swivel hasps work great with a Swedish snap shackle giving easy access.
Secondly is the companionway hatch boards. Make a positive restraint to keep em in. We used a strap over them from inside to out.
The Catalina pop top has a well built lock down system that should be fine if in good repair.
Deep reefs and a jib furler both controlled from the cockpit. Halyards to the cockpit.
In a seaway these little boats can buck. You want to avoid deck chores if possible.
Service all hardware but especially the keel, rig and rudder. I mean extensively. Wet core can kill hardware and these keel systems have a lot of dissimilar metals . If the zincs aren't kept up with failure is gauranteed We re-bedded our chain plates and had one snap when tightening. Happily while on the trailer. Catalina direct has most items you require.
If the rudder is an original Mk1 swing up. Replace it or carry a backup. Over time the swing housing fatigues the glass and blammo.
Carry spares, wear a vest, get an e-pirb
You'll have the adventure of a lifetime
Just be sure it's not your last.

Very Best Regards,
And good luck,
Secondshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 15:51   #17

Boat: Outbound 44

Key West to the eastern Carib is something like 900 miles to weather, most of it into the teeth of the trade winds. This route requires significant motoring. Not sure how you will store the required fuel.
If you want to sail it, then you need to head up the east coast and sail offshore after hurricane season, aka late fall. Not that I'm recommending that either.
Old 12-03-2019, 17:32   #18

Boat: Scout 30

Wow, everyone's being really nice. Not sure that's the best course here. The Bahamas is doable if you watch the weather & know what you're doing but the Caribbean in this boat is foolish at best.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 17:49   #19

Just so we're all clear here. The Bahamas is a nation of islands in the Caribbean. I rather thought he might jump to Bimini from Miami. Some cross it in kayaks. It's about 60
miles. Island hopping along like most cruisers.

Additionally, he said he would not like to be dissuaded with numerous reasons why he shouldn't go.

Regards
Old 12-03-2019, 18:17   #20

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Wow! the T22 owners come out of the woodwork. I still own mine bought new in 1981, #1949.

We saw a C22 anchored off the south end of Shroud Cay in 2015. My wife wrote this about it in her blog. www.irish-eyes-to-the-bahamas.blogspot.com

We are sometimes asked what sort of boat you need to go to the Bahamas. Well, the near boat is a 22 foot Catalina sailboat and is worth maybe $3000. The larger boat is a 70 foot long Sunreef sailing catamaran and is worth about $3,000,000. We anchored beside them at Shroud Cay in the Exuma Islands. We later saw the Pennsylvania registered Catalina in Marsh Harbour 150 miles farther north.

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 18:18   #21

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

Sailed the heck out of a Catalina 25. Loved that boat. It had a cast iron keel. I was docked next to a Catalina 22 with a swing keel. Winds picked up and 3'waves were hitting us broadside. I was quite comfortable. I looked out and the guy on the 22 didn't look to good. The boat was rocking all over the place. Great little boats though.
OK, thoughts, lock swing keel down on passages and secure. Extra rudder and ways to repair keel and rudder at sea. 2 tiller auto pilots. enough solar to run an Engel fridge/freezer. Store anchor and chain in bilge for ballast and the chain needs to be enough to hold in 30 knot winds (50'?). Definitely harness into center of cockpit during passages. Keep companion way closed. Small hank on jib. 3 reefs in main. Secure spare halyards if available to help take load off rigging. Life raft. Store outboard inside lashed to sole or lower if you can during passages. I know it will be a pain but manual type water maker. Two batteries. Sun shower bag. 5 gallon bucket for clothes washing, baling, etc. The little heads are for weekends at best. Enough head smell good to knock the smell down. Propane grill that uses the little bottles. Main source of protein will be fish therefore a hawaiin sling, fishing tackle, goggles, fins, knife, and seasonings. Sun shade, you will want it very badly. My 2 cents. Just some thing to think about.
I would be interested in purchasing a 30'foot that has most of this stuff rather than outfitting the 22. The Catalina 30 is an awesome boat and for the price of outfitting the 22, you could justify a 30'. It holds more fuel, more water, has refrigeration, hopefully a diesel, holding tank, batteries, etc. I have seen 30' boats for $3000-5000. The tiller pilots, solar, refrigeration, solar, and water maker will cost more than that.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 19:53   #22

I owned a C25 swing keel that was too small so I upgraded to a 37'. However we often have 4-6 guests on board ... I'm sure the 37' will quickly start to feel small too

The C25 was fine in even heavy conditions. I replaced all rigging and hardware. Good thing I did. The mast and and mast hardware was fine, but not the rigging and deck hardware for sure. Blocks all bad.

Service the keel. Full service. New pin, all new hardware. New lifting hardware. That includes new winch if it hasn't been replaced recently (they do need to be replaced before failure).

Maybe enlarge the cockpit scuppers. I did that just because I didn't want the crappy metal ones to continue to rust and leak, so I fiberglassed them.

Get a engine mount that is going to work well. Outboard motor is going to be a major issue in any sea. Was on the C25. Will still work ... but won't be fun...

Fuel filter might be a good idea. Definitely treat your fuel, make sure your tank is new, hoses are new.

Make sure your rudder is in really good condition.
odonnellryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 20:20   #23

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondshift View Post
Just so we're all clear here. The Bahamas is a nation of islands in the Caribbean. I rather thought he might jump to Bimini from Miami. Some cross it in kayaks. It's about 60

Additionally, he said he would not like to be dissuaded with numerous reasons why he shouldn't go.

Regards
Sorry to burst your bubble but the Bahamas are not in the Caribbean. The northern border of the Caribbean sea is defined by Cuba, Hispaniola And Puerto Rico.

It is a common misconception that the Bahamas are part of the Caribbean.

Getting from Florida to the Bahamas is a walk in the park compared to getting from Florida to the Caribbean Sea.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 21:04   #24

Thank you Stormalong for that clarification.
Hopefully our OP shares the same misconception.

Best Regards
Old 13-03-2019, 07:09   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondshift View Post

Regards
Now I know how irritating I sound every time I correct someone who calls their decks topsides. Technically you are correct although when someone is going to the Bahamas they usually say they're going to the Bahamas. When someone says they're cruising the Caribbean it's normally understood that they mean Puerto Rico & beyond.

Additionally, the OP may not want to hear why this is unsafe & unwise but, too bad, he doesn't make the rules here. Encouraging someone to take a Catalina 22 offshore, a boat clearly unsuited for that purpose, when you know nothing about them is irresponsible.
Old 13-03-2019, 07:39   #26

Boat: Parker Dawson 26

From the OP:
"I lived in a VW bus for 4 years, so I'm used to no space and no frills."

I have lived in a VW bus as well and have a pretty good idea what sort of lifestyle/budget choices are likely driving his thought process. While "just shell out a quick $50K on a bigger boat" may seem like logical advice, and probably good advice as well, it is not always in the cards. Ask a bunch of people who drive big motor homes about whether it's a good idea to travel long term in a VW bus and you certainly won't get a lot of affirmative responses either, it's always matter of perspective.

If you were happy in a high top bus, you will likely be happy in a Catalina 22. Do everything you can to manage risks, maintain things to the best of your ability and set short term goals moving the goal posts as you go along. If you have enjoyed the keys, try the Bahamas, if that works move on to the next spot etc etc etc.

Scour up some spare parts and lay your hands on multiple tiller pilots to keep the drudgery at bay and you ought to have a dandy time.
Aswayze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 10:17   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
How do you intend to get that boat down to the Caribbean? That's a long and often rough trip for so small a boat.

There are so many 30 foot sailboats available for a song it may be time to upsize.

I’d change Caribbean to “Bahamas” and forget further South.

Just remember that pretty much everything in the Bahamas is 300% more expensive than in the States, so if you anchor out now, it’s going to cost 300% more to anchor out in the Bahamas.
Bring as much food as is possible with you.

Free water does exist, but it’s not common, water cost is usually between 33c and 50c a gl. Fuel is roughly just under $5 a gl.

Parts pretty much are non existent here, even finding a line is difficult, so you have to be self sufficient and or rely on other cruisers.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 10:59   #28

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

I consider myself a gutsy guy, but I'd be careful getting more than about 2 hours away from shelter in a C22. There's a fair chance you could cross the Atlantic in a C22 with great weather, but one big storm, and it's likely all over in that scenario. If you can leapfrog from shelter to shelter, watching the weather, it's a different story, but more than 2 hours away from shelter leaves you very vulnerable. Things can kick up quick, and a knockdown in 6 foot waves in a C22 with a swing keel is something I'd rather not bet my life on. I have a C22 and love it, but it's just not designed for the open ocean. It's great for a lot of things, but not that - you only live once. Just my own 2 cents.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 13:42   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aswayze View Post
From the OP:
"I lived in a VW bus for 4 years, so I'm used to no space and no frills."

I have lived in a VW bus as well and have a pretty good idea what sort of lifestyle/budget choices are likely driving his thought process. While "just shell out a quick $50K on a bigger boat" may seem like logical advice, and probably good advice as well, it is not always in the cards. Ask a bunch of people who drive big motor homes about whether it's a good idea to travel long term in a VW bus and you certainly won't get a lot of affirmative responses either, it's always matter of perspective.

If you were happy in a high top bus, you will likely be happy in a Catalina 22. Do everything you can to manage risks, maintain things to the best of your ability and set short term goals moving the goal posts as you go along. If you have enjoyed the keys, try the Bahamas, if that works move on to the next spot etc etc etc.

Scour up some spare parts and lay your hands on multiple tiller pilots to keep the drudgery at bay and you ought to have a dandy time.
RVs are a dangerous analogy. Comfort is not the issue. Staying alive is. There are plenty of small boats suitable for this kind of trip. If the OP was talking about a 20' Flicka I'd say go for it. And you sure don't have to spend 50K to get a boat more suited to this type of endeavor.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...47098-106.html

Tags
Caribbean, catalina, rib