Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2016, 15:42   #1

Boat: Alberg 30, 30' sloop.
Crew wanted from Exumas Bahams to BVI's mid-late October. 45ft Morgan-Catalina

This delivery will be departing from Staniel Cay, Exumas, Bahamas sometime in mid to late October. This passage falls into the latter part of hurricane season and we will be watching weather daily for a favorable weather window to begin the trip so actual departure date may not be determined until a few days prior to departure. I know this is less convenient than simply choosing a date and departing however I am a conservative Captain who will not put the vessel or crew at risk and try to minimize upwind sailing as much as possible. The well established strategy heading east towards the end of hurricane season but before the trade-winds set in at full force should make the conditions more comfortable while reducing some risk of exposure to weather systems.

This passage should last between 7-14 days and could be accomplished non-stop offshore but is just as likely to be a series of short day and overnight hops between islands down the chain. The point being, is that potential crew need to be somewhat flexible. If at some-point we are delayed longer than expected for weather or repairs and forced to sit on a sandy beach drinking cocktails, you will have the option to wait till the passage resumes or return home from our location at that time at your own expense.

This Morgan-Catalina 45 is currently a very comfortable well-equiped charter boat when in the BVI's each winter but is also well equipped for offshore voyaging and has completed a circumnavigation in 2012. The Delivery Captain has also recently completed a circumnavigation (solo on a 30' ft sailboat) and his complete resume / profile is available here:
SAILBOAT DELIVERIES -

This is a delivery passage rather than a "cruise" and while we do try to have fun it should be considered an opportunity to learn and accumulate sea-miles with an experienced skipper who is happy to teach in exchange for your help with watches, cooking, cleaning and general maintenance of the boat. These are volunteer positions and this is not a "shared expense or paid trip". Your only expense will be getting yourself to and from the boat (flights to Staniel Cay usually run about $300 from Ft Lauderdale). The owner will pay for on board food, fuel, customs, and immigration fees associated with the passage.

If you would like to be considered for this passage please reply with a short reply here but also send a private message or email including your email and phone number in your message. It also helps to know more about you, why you would like to crew, and what time window you are available. I will be considering all people who respond and do not have a set level of experience required however any experience or skills that you might posses that could be useful to an offshore voyage (engineers, medical professionals, mechanics, cooks etc, should be mentioned.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
-Kirk Little
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	la-palapa-224x300.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	131652  
Old 24-09-2016, 19:16   #2

Boat: Island Packet 320
Send a message via Skype™ to Thomea
Re: Crew wanted from Exumas Bahams to BVI's mid-late October. 45ft Morgan-Catalina

gorgeous boat. Sounds like a fun trip!
Old 25-09-2016, 13:32   #3

Re: Crew wanted from Exumas Bahams to BVI's mid-late October. 45ft Morgan-Catalina

Hi Kirk,
I am interested to learn more about this trip. I am a relatively new skipper (certified in May 2016), but have previous sailing experience as crew. I am a safety minded and resourceful sailor who is easy going and tends to keep cool under pressure (so people tell me). If interested please email me jonbirion@gmail.com and we can take it from there. Thanks!
Old 25-09-2016, 19:43   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkalittle View Post
This delivery will be departing from Staniel Cay, Exumas, Bahamas sometime in mid to late October. This passage falls into the latter part of hurricane season and we will be watching weather daily for a favorable weather window to begin the trip so actual departure date may not be determined until a few days prior to departure. I know this is less convenient than simply choosing a date and departing however I am a conservative Captain who will not put the vessel or crew at risk and try to minimize upwind sailing as much as possible. The well established strategy heading east towards the end of hurricane season but before the trade-winds set in at full force should make the conditions more comfortable while reducing some risk of exposure to weather systems.

This passage should last between 7-14 days and could be accomplished non-stop offshore but is just as likely to be a series of short day and overnight hops between islands down the chain. The point being, is that potential crew need to be somewhat flexible. If at some-point we are delayed longer than expected for weather or repairs and forced to sit on a sandy beach drinking cocktails, you will have the option to wait till the passage resumes or return home from our location at that time at your own expense.

This Morgan-Catalina 45 is currently a very comfortable well-equiped charter boat when in the BVI's each winter but is also well equipped for offshore voyaging and has completed a circumnavigation in 2012. The Delivery Captain has also recently completed a circumnavigation (solo on a 30' ft sailboat) and his complete resume / profile is available here:
SAILBOAT DELIVERIES -

This is a delivery passage rather than a "cruise" and while we do try to have fun it should be considered an opportunity to learn and accumulate sea-miles with an experienced skipper who is happy to teach in exchange for your help with watches, cooking, cleaning and general maintenance of the boat. These are volunteer positions and this is not a "shared expense or paid trip". Your only expense will be getting yourself to and from the boat (flights to Staniel Cay usually run about $300 from Ft Lauderdale). The owner will pay for on board food, fuel, customs, and immigration fees associated with the passage.

If you would like to be considered for this passage please reply with a short reply here but also send a private message or email including your email and phone number in your message. It also helps to know more about you, why you would like to crew, and what time window you are available. I will be considering all people who respond and do not have a set level of experience required however any experience or skills that you might posses that could be useful to an offshore voyage (engineers, medical professionals, mechanics, cooks etc, should be mentioned.

Looking forward to hearing from you!
-Kirk Little
Hello Kirk,

I'm 29, relatively new sailor, currently crew on a J130 out of Marblehead, MA. I've been sailing for about 5 years now in Boston on Mercuries and Rhodes 19. I'm looking to gain cruising experience, willing to help out any way I can. My goal is to have my own cruiser one day and circumnavigate. Currently an EMT in 911 system. Licensed pilot. I'll PM you with my contact info.

Thanks!

Jason
Old 26-09-2016, 11:44   #5

Capt. Kirk,
I'm a 59 Y/O Engineer, 7 years EMT experience. Skippered 40' Sloops in the BVI.
Looking to log hours. Willing to learn a thing or two. Studying for OUPV 6-pack.
Available after October 30 if the need still exists. Short notice, no problem.
Thanks and Regards,
Dave
860-729-7711
danderson12@snet.net
Old 08-10-2016, 15:59   #6

Well after a lot of preparation and hard work we managed to survive Hurricane Mathew without damage. With Tropical Storm Nicole still east of us it may be premature to talk about departure times however the combination of these two systems may very well open up a perfect weather window to sail sometime mid next week. I dare say the gribs show there might even be some favorable wind rather than the typical motor-sailing up wind one usually finds heading east at this latitude. Everyone who has already sent contact information may expect to be contacted as the lows move away and dissipate, maybe even early this coming week. Anyone else who would like to be considered please be sure and get me your phone number. Thanks. -Kirk
Old 09-10-2016, 19:28   #7

sounds like an interesting trip, i assume its to Road town? I just recently (this summer)was a mate on a delivery crew of a lagoon420 from st martin to grenada,I manned a large portion of the overnight watches,I would consider this trip if you are delayed to a november departure, I am a 40 year old male and i am just a basic coastal cruiser with a few extra skills, seaplane pilot,deepsea fisherman and advanced diver, celestial navigator(untested) , have completed ocean survival training university of loiusiana lafayette , a bit of a chef but underway my abilities suffer a bit. definately want to be considered, working till end of october, free after that. I will pm you with my particulars. Fair winds Christopher Donald R.
Old 09-10-2016, 20:25   #8

Hi Kirk,
Definitely want to be considered. I am presently in Tel Aviv, but could move on a short notice. You can reach me at +972-52-333-4637.
Looking Forward to hearing from you.
Liviu
Old 12-10-2016, 20:38   #9

Boat: Looking for one.

Hi Kirk, if you are still accepting CVs, I am sending you mine by PM. I have no time constraints.
Jan Marie
Old 14-10-2016, 21:31   #10

This ship has sailed, currently underway and having an excellent passage. Thanks to all who responded, due to hurricane preparation efforts I'm sorry I couldn't get back to everyone individually. -Kirk
Old 14-10-2016, 22:57   #11

Am I too late?
I'm currently in Roatan, Honduras but returning to Florida October 22nd.
Grew up on a DeFour 27 and circumnavigated on CSY 44. Boat sold last year (divorce). I spent 3 months this last summer traveling Europe so now broke and looking for work I am qualified for and, more importantly, makes me happy.
If I applied too late, I wish you fair winds.

Tags
catalina, crew, crew wanted, exumas, morgan, wanted