Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2017, 13:11   #1

Boat: Herreschoff Diddikai 39
Panama Canal cost?

Anyone know how much it costs to go through the Panama canal?

I'm toying with the idea of buying a bayfield 32 and taking it to the pacific north west

Thanks
fgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 13:27   #2

Boat: Custom 55
Re: panama canal cost?

We went through most recently in December '14. It cost a couple grand for our 55 footer by the time we got through with visas/cruising permit/everything else. I can't remember the exact figure, but it was around 2k. That was using an agent. We didn't want to wait around doing it all ourselves, so we hired someone to expedite things, we were through within 48 hours of arrival.

The 32 won't be that much less, but a little bit. If you don't use an agent, it'll cost several hundred less.

This is my admittedly vague recollection. Hope it helps. I'm sure someone else actually tracked their expenses more closely.

TJ
TJ D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 13:37   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgraham View Post
Anyone know how much it costs to go through the Panama canal?
Hey, I don't know how reliable this is, but here is something (from July 19, 2013):
Quote:
It’s definitely best to go small than to look like a new money Russian tycoon. Small ships of less than 50 feet in length pay $800 for the transit. Those of 50-80 pay $1,300. Those 80 to 100 feet pay $2,000. Above that it’s $3,000. But hey, if you’ve got a yacht that big, three grand is probably chump change anyway. No, you can’t use a credit card. Or cocaine. Supposedly someone tried that once.

Copied from: how-much-does-it-cost-to-go-through-the-panama-canal
sailingpzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2017, 14:43   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Look it up on the ACP Canal site
https://www.pancanal.com/eng/op/tolls.html
Under 50ft, 15.24m, is us$800. You do not need an agent, it is straight forward to set it up yourself. Renting lines and tires will run another $80 - 100.
Old 15-07-2017, 05:10   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Panama Canal cost?

Just for future reference. Link below is to document with procedures and costs for small boats (< 125')

http://www.pancanal.com/common/marit...ENG-201211.pdf
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 06:25   #6

Boat: Anastasiades One off 132'

not hiring an agent requires you to put another 800 as security deposit, which you'll get back if you went through uneventfull (no missed schedule, etc)
getting it back though, I've heard, is such a hassle it's probably easier to use an agent. make sure you get someone with a good rep. Stanley has done me good on three occasions.
also be aware you'll need at least 5 people. 4 linehandlers and you.
all in all, using an agent and linehandlers and renting tires and lines, you'll be out around 2k.
lifemiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 07:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifemiles View Post
not hiring an agent requires you to put another 800 as security deposit, which you'll get back if you went through uneventfull (no missed schedule, etc)
Yes, thats the "buffer" deposit described in the above document.

Also, its not hard to find other cruisers willing to come along as line handlers...this way they can do a transit as crew before taking their own boat thru...and keeps your cost down a little.
Old 15-07-2017, 09:25   #8

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The ACP cost does not cover immigration and cruising permit, which as I recall is about $400 for a crew of 2. Its quite difficult to find a safe place for the boat while you are organizing things unless you stay at Shelter Bay, so add another $300 for that, plus $300 for the agent. I also spent about $2k for a 45 ft boat in 2012.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 09:47   #9

Boat: Seafarer36c

I've not thought of including the stay at Shelter Bay as part of the cost but it makes sense. I remember the dock people watching boats anchored out nearby to make sure they didn't dinghy into the marina. I doubt you could do a Ninja landing anywhere on the Caribbean side anymore.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 09:58   #10

Boat: Lagoon 450
Panama Canal cost?

We went thru the canal in January 17 on the DIY approach (north to south). Easy easy. There is lots of info available on Noonsite for this. Getting fenders, rope was about $60; line handlers out of Shelter Bay (cruisers) was easy, just put up a notice and we had lots to choose from - paid them $60ea as part of their return trip. The passage thru was 1.5 days and very pleasant. Received our full $891 buffer fee back within 4 weeks, no hassles here either.

If you are half resourceful and want to save a bit, dont use an agent. There is absolutely nothing complicated about doing it yourself. English is also widely spoken at all stops.

If you need a simple and detailed version of the steps, ping me, glad to share.

Steve
SV Emerald Sea
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 11:52   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifemiles View Post
not hiring an agent requires you to put another 800 as security deposit, (...)
PLS expand on this.

When we were there, the deposit was obligatory to all boats, whether you had an agent or not.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 11:56   #12

Boat: a sailing boat

It was relatively safe at "F" when Shelter Bay marina was not there. Not that the marina is in place, it apparently became less safe to anchor. I could be the only one around who can see a relationship.

barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 11:57   #13
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

One of the youtube posts said they had to pay about $800 for a 35(?) footer. Except, then you have to add mooring fees while waiting to be called. And the cost of provided HOT meals 3x per day for the 4 line handlers. And renting lines (unlikely you'd have the right ones) and fenders...so they ran well over $2000 versus the "$800" for the canal fee alone.

The canal authority does post all this on their web site, but it is very easy to mistake the "fee" for the much higher complete costs.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 13:22   #14

Boat: Lagoon 450

Thats correct. The buffer (deposit) fee is required, agent or not. All this, and more, is all made clear in form 4352 (linked above).

F anchorage has recently (Q3-4, 2016) had some dodgy things going on ie breakins, fires, etc. Always leave someone on your boat. We chose Shelter Bay marina for safety and convenience ie is free buses to Colon, line hander arrangements, tires/ropes, fuel, etc. The staff there are very friendly and informative. They will accept boat part packages as well.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2017, 13:31   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
The ACP cost does not cover immigration and cruising permit, which as I recall is about $400 for a crew of 2. Its quite difficult to find a safe place for the boat while you are organizing things unless you stay at Shelter Bay, so add another $300 for that, plus $300 for the agent. I also spent about $2k for a 45 ft boat in 2012.
Wow, you only spent $300 at Shelter Pay? [emoji6]

Tags
Panama, Panama Canal, panama