Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2017, 16:29   #1

Documentation for Panama

Folks has anyone have knowledge of the documentation required to enter Panama by air and leave by boat? It is my understanding that it is no problem entering Panama as long as your have proof of a plane ticket out, however my plan is to enter Panama by air and then board a boat in Colon, transit through the canal and then up to Mexico. Any advice would be appreciated.
Captain Ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 19:18   #2

Re: Documentation for Panama

A good friend of mine lives in Panama and he has gotten around this by reserving an exit flight from an online reservation. I think Copa airlines will allow you to reserve a booking for 48 hrs and he has showed that before if questioned by immigration. There is also a Mariners visa you can obtain at specific ports in Panama that allow a 3 month stay. Cost is around $110. Prices may vary depending on location and duty officer though. Sorry if this is not much help but you could always ask the Facebook Panama Cruisers. They are pretty helpful. I have been looking for this information as well as I will be in a similar situation in a few weeks as I will fly into Panama to begin work on my Panamanian registered vessel. Lastly you could also get a letter from the skipper of the vessel stating your exit plans but they may ask you to pay for the Mariners visa then. Also it is a good idea while you are there to get a copy of your passport bio page and the page with your entry date stamped and carry it around with you. It will save you a lot of trouble.
Holy_Joely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 19:22   #3

Thanks Holy_Joely for the info and advice. I will look for that Facebook group
Old 04-04-2017, 20:23   #4

Turns out when I went through customs they didn't ask for anything. However next time they might, it's always changing from what I hear about Panama
Old 04-04-2017, 21:30   #5

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

We left the boat in Panama, flew to Costa Rica for a wedding and returned. Not only didn't they ask any questions about onward tickets, they gave us a voucher for free medical insurance in Panama when we passed through C&I. Go figure.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men, Panama