Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2016, 16:30   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 33
PANAMA: Yanmar 3QM30F

We will be replacing our existing 3QM30 with a beta marine 35 in Colon Panama. There is truly nothing wroing with the engine, but with the GBP being low and parts being excessively high on the yanmar, we decided to repower!
This is what we have, I will either sell as a whole and ship it anywhere, or if that doesn't happen I will strip the engine and piecemeal it out.

3QM30F Fresh Water cooled with heat exchanger 30hp/2600rpm Aprrox 3000Hrs, no smoke even with cold start, runs super strong, mild cosmetic rust on certain parts but overall good condition for a 30+year engine.
KH18 gear box with R&D Flex coupling and 5", 1 1/4'' shaft coupling
Replaced in 2014:
New water pump">Raw Water pump, rebuilt fresh water pump, new balmar 75 amp alternator AH-5 controller, replaced all cooling hoses, Custom S/S 316 mixing elbow made
Spares: Complete New Injector, Spare professionally rebuilt raw water pump, extra thermostats, many gaskets for raw water and thermostats, lots of zincs, spare lift fuel pump.

Looking for $2500 + Shipping. I will upload photos and a video of a cold start and run when we get better internet, not planning on ripping it out until October/November, but just wanted to see if there was any interest. As current owners of 3Qms know, parts are ridiculous for these engines, and this engine would be a great drop in for someones engine that is tired, or just in parts its worth probably more.

Cheers,

Jon
Old 26-08-2016, 08:56   #2

Re: PANAMA: Yanmar 3QM30F

Old 26-08-2016, 09:03   #3

A few more things i would like to mention that I did do a good job at in the original post. The rear seal on the KH18 does leak, not a lot, the leak is in the magnitude of maybe a drop or two after every heavy use. When I change the fluid every 100hrs i clean up the small little puddle and have never seen a difference on the actual dip stick of the gearbox. This is a slooooow but ant to stay 100% transparent. I believe the dampener plate is worn because even out of gear the shaft turns, albeit very slow and I can stop it by hand. From what I heard this is a classic tale of a old dampener plate. It does not sound like a bunch of bolts rattling which I was told the dampener plate must be replaced, but there it is. I have attached a video of cold startup, put in gear, Fwd, rev, neutral.

Cheers,

Jon
Old 27-09-2016, 16:38   #4

$1500+ Shipping for the engine minus the spares and Balmar. Any takers?

Cheers,

Jon
Old 27-10-2016, 14:27   #5

So it looks like Im going to part the old girl out, If you need any parts in particular, get ahold of us!
Old 30-11-2016, 16:34   #6

Hi! my name is jin from california and I have same engine on my tayana37.I just need a raw water pump and exhaust manifold with mix elbow unit .Also I might need transmission unit because i need minor repair to spend couple hundred box. How much total if you can sell these all three unit for best offer? Otherwise I have repower to new engine.please send email to ignatella2013@gmail.com. Also Ilike to know what spare parts do you have please list those.from:jin
Ignatella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:19   #7

Boat: Irwin Citation 34

I would buy your engine in a heartbeat, except the shipping to Florida would probably be too costly to make it work for me.
Captndave1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 13:01   #8

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I wonder if he ever sold the engine, and how he likes the new beta.

I have been trying to decide whether to repower our catamaran or to continue with the same engines.

We have two Yanmar 3GM30F engines and each have 4500 hours. No problems with the engines - only routine maintenance.

I am told that the engines can go 10,000 hours before a major overhaul. So I think the engines probably are only about half done with their useable life before overhaul

That being said, starting out on a world cruise with new engines means there will be no major engine problems for at least five years. That's a nice insurance policy against misery in far off lands.

The new 3 cylinder Yanmar is nearly $10,000 in Florida for each engine, and that does not include installation.

I will have to decide in the next three months whether to repower or continue with what I have at the present time.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 13:58   #9

maxing out, if you decide to repower, i would consider buying one of your Yanmars. I am in Florida so pick up would be no problem.
Old 06-07-2017, 14:14   #10

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captndave1 View Post
maxing out, if you decide to repower, i would consider buying one of your Yanmars. I am in Florida so pick up would be no problem.
I will be doing our refit in a couple of months, and I will make a decision at that time as to whether I will repower.

I am thinking about sailing back to Australia, and to points beyond, and starting out with new diesels has much to commend itself on a global adventure. If I was doing only the Bahamas or Caribbean, I would probably just keep the same engines.

Right now, I am not sure how I will proceed. I will contact you if I decide to repower.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2017, 09:38   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Hunter 36-80-82 Wanderer

Hi , Peter here on S.V. Wanderer , currently on the Rio Dulce , Guatemala . If youy have decided to part out your engine I would be interested in your cooling water pump , the one that runs off the cam , contact me
wanderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2017, 17:48   #12

I am still interested in buying your engine complete, any idea what would be involved in shipping to central Florida? re, cost and customs.

Tags
Panama, yanmar