Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2019, 16:31   #1

Annual maintenance costs of living aboard at anchor

Hi everyone my dream is to buy a used boat and live aboard at anchor in the Rio Dulce. I'm trying to estimate my budget to make sure I have enough money to make the leap. I actually don't plan to do any cruising, just living at anchor. I figure I need to plan for annual haul out and bottom paint to make sure the boat doesn't take on water. What other maintenance and/or repair issues do I need to budget for if I just keep the boat at anchor? Thanks in advance for all the advice!!!
Glassgow22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 04:13   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Annual maintenance costs of living aboard at anchor

In addition to the "houseboat" you'll want to consider cost of acquisition, care, and feeding for a dinghy... assuming you'll need to go ashore from time to time.

You'll likely want to consider access to fresh water. Would a watermaker work? Or must you transport? Et cetera...

And then there's periodic pump-outs, assuming local law might prohibit dumping.

Why Rio Dulce?

-Chris
Old 05-09-2019, 06:45   #3

Thank you for your reply and advice!! I plan to install a water maker. I'm considering Rio Dulce because of its year round protection from hurricanes but I am open to other places as well

How much do you think the annual cost of care and feeding for a dinghy would be?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
In addition to the "houseboat" you'll want to consider cost of acquisition, care, and feeding for a dinghy... assuming you'll need to go ashore from time to time.

You'll likely want to consider access to fresh water. Would a watermaker work? Or must you transport? Et cetera...

And then there's periodic pump-outs, assuming local law might prohibit dumping.

Why Rio Dulce?

-Chris
Old 05-09-2019, 07:13   #4
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassgow22 View Post
. I actually don't plan to do any cruising, just living at anchor. I figure I need to plan for annual haul out and bottom paint to make sure the boat doesn't take on water. What other maintenance and/or repair issues do I need to budget for if I just keep the boat at anchor?
Hardy any if you don't care if your "boat" can move. Just internal wear and tear like pumps, heads, wiring, and component wear and tear. Heck why even haul and paint the bottom?
Old 05-09-2019, 07:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Hardy any if you don't care if your "boat" can move. Just internal wear and tear like pumps, heads, wiring, and component wear and tear. Heck why even haul and paint the bottom?
Thanks for your feedback Sailor boy! Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that it would be needed to protect the durability of the boat and prevent leaks. If I'm wrong and it's not required please let me know!
Old 05-09-2019, 07:26   #6

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

Rio Dulce is less expensive than many other places for boat work. Friends on Vela, IP40, are there now - https://www.facebook.com/VelaBoat/

Rio Dulce has a reputation for being hard on watermakers. There are a lot of particulates and runoff. I chatted with a fellow who had to change his membranes after a summer in Rio Dulce due to high TDS and "slime" on his membranes.

No need to haulout every year, but you will want to have your bottom cleaned monthly. Local divers are inexpensive. Check out the Rio Dulce Cruisers facebook group for specifics.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:36   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Annual maintenance costs of living aboard at anchor

Every dime you have should just cover it..
Thats just the way folk are wired.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:27   #8

Boat: Boatless

Have you been to the Rio Dulce yet first of all?

If yes have you been there in August?

It will cost as much as you can afford plus 500.00/month.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 08:31   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
Have you been to the Rio Dulce yet first of all?

If yes have you been there in August?

It will cost as much as you can afford plus 500.00/month.
No I haven't been there yet. I'm still doing research into the area so any insight you can provide would be helpful. I'm not sure what you mean by what I can afford +$500? Can you please clarify?
Old 05-09-2019, 08:43   #10

I’ve been there and met many who live there aboard, none at anchor. Most were raging alcoholics for starters.

How’s your Spanish as well? If living there year round it’s going to help.

Whatever you have plus 500.00?

That’s how it works. Human nature. If asking this question in the first place odds are you have an extremely limited budget. Is this true?

Another thing to consider, what do you plan on “doing” down there?

If mission work in the villages, good on ya. If sitting at anchor and going into town to check mail for your check, not so much.

If hell bent for Sunday to do this get down there and over to Mario’s Marina and rent a cabin for a month and see what you think.

You don’t want to end up being “that guy” sitting on a derelict boat at anchor in a third world country with 110% humidity.

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
Old 05-09-2019, 09:14   #11

Boat: Pearson 367

I think you are putting the cart before the horse in choosing Rio Dulce.

It's hot here. ALL THE TIME. I'm the only person in my marina that doesn't use their air conditioner. It's in the high 80s/low 90s year round with 90% humidity. You'll break into a sweat just sitting down. Unless you have a mega solar/battery setup you won't be able to run Ac. If you want to run a generator to power Ac then fuel is $4 a gallon.

Fronteras is a small town. There really isn't much to do here in the way of activities. Being a small town, shopping is very limited. Most of the things you'd find in a grocery store back home you won't find here.

Very little English is spoken here. Like none. If you aren't conversational in Spanish or willing to learn your interactions with local culture is going to be limited.

Your Visa will expire every 90 days. You'll need to leave the G4 countries. Guatemala, Honduras, el Salvador, Nicaragua.

Do you have a plan to overcome any of these issues?
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:19   #12
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
Most were raging alcoholics for starters.

Another thing to consider, what do you plan on “doing” down there?
I bet that second sentence is answer for the first.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:58   #13

What LLCoolDave said :-)

The dream always bumps up against the reality.

QUOTE=LLCoolDave;2969771]I think you are putting the cart before the horse in choosing Rio Dulce.

It's hot here. ALL THE TIME. I'm the only person in my marina that doesn't use their air conditioner. It's in the high 80s/low 90s year round with 90% humidity. You'll break into a sweat just sitting down. Unless you have a mega solar/battery setup you won't be able to run Ac. If you want to run a generator to power Ac then fuel is $4 a gallon.

Fronteras is a small town. There really isn't much to do here in the way of activities. Being a small town, shopping is very limited. Most of the things you'd find in a grocery store back home you won't find here.

Very little English is spoken here. Like none. If you aren't conversational in Spanish or willing to learn your interactions with local culture is going to be limited.

Your Visa will expire every 90 days. You'll need to leave the G4 countries. Guatemala, Honduras, el Salvador, Nicaragua.

Do you have a plan to overcome any of these issues?[/QUOTE]
Old 05-09-2019, 11:18   #14

How did we go from the thread linked below where the first question I asked you was about your monthly budget and where you answered...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glassgow22 View Post
Monthly expense is not an issue (paid for by work
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ip-223109.html

To this thread where now you're asking about expenses. Did those plans change and work no longer is going to cover your expenses? Are you still looking for an old cruise ship?
Shenandoah52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:39   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenandoah52 View Post
How did we go from the thread linked below where the first question I asked you was about your monthly budget and where you answered...

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ip-223109.html

To this thread where now you're asking about expenses. Did those plans change and work no longer is going to cover your expenses? Are you still looking for an old cruise ship?
I'm looking to minimize my expenses as much as possible to increase my profit (I'm self employed and work primarily online). I'm looking for any used boat, not necessarily a cruise ship (which was more of a pipe dream haha)

Tags
anchor, living aboard, maintenance