Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 29-10-2015, 22:17   #1

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'
Videos of Anchors Setting

This thread contains excellent information and videos of anchors setting and how they set. There is another thread that contains pictures of anchors setting and that thread also contains excellent information. Here is a link to the other thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-126073.html

Previously, I posted some Videos of anchors setting over in Noelex's "Photos of Anchors Setting thread". I have another new video so I thought I would start this thread to keep all the videos in one place.

Others with video footage of anchor use should feel free to add them if they wish.

I will keep testing and filming different anchors as they become available to me.

This week, an acquaintance loaned to me a Fortress FX-16 anchor weighing in at 10 pounds. This was my first hands-on experience with a fortress anchor and I was very eager to see if it would live up to the great reputation that these anchors enjoy.

And live up it did! I gave it the full, abusive torture treatment that the other anchors received. The anchor set immediately and repeatedly brought Panope to abrupt halts from as much as 3.6 knots.

I have been wanting to add a Fortress anchor to my arsenal for some time but I figured this 10 pounder would be under sized. After this test, I quickly realized that this is just what I need for a stern/rowable anchor. Ended up buying this anchor from the person who loaned it for the test.

Steve

Here is the new Fortress Video:

Here are the other 6 videos that I have already posted:

Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 22:26   #2

Re: Videos of Anchors Setting

Here is the camera/float lashup used for the first 6 videos:

It was pointed out to me that the buoyancy of the camera float could affect the setting performance of an anchor. I do not believe this was a factor previously as the camera float was very small. That said, for the recent, Fortress anchor test I removed some material from the float to further reduce the buoyancy.

Old 29-10-2015, 22:52   #3

Previously, CF people Snowpetrel and Seaworthy Lass brought up the very good point that bottom slope could be a factor in the setting of these anchors. It was video number 2 "Manson Supreme Short Scope" that got the conversation going. In that video, the anchor sets and holds at first, but releases when pulled from the opposite direction.

I initially assumed that the bottom slope was gradual enough (and my setting direction was parallel enough to the contour lines) that bottom slope was a negligible factor. I now believe this is incorrect.

Next time out I will re-shoot the Manson Supreme "Short Scope" test making sure that the pulls are made exactly parallel to the bottom contour lines.

Steve
Old 30-10-2015, 02:54   #4

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Thanks Steve, another excellant anchor video. Cheers. Just got a fx11 for my little boat (a little nis 23) it will be fun to see how it performs, it is a beautifully made anchor. Certainly impressive how well the fortress does in the reverse test I always figured they were great in a straight pull but unstable with side loads. Looks like I was wrong! Also nice to see the thing didn't bend. Cheers

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 30-10-2015, 08:48   #5
Marine Service Provider

A fun video we did. Shows 360 degree turns and pulls with out the non-load bearing bolt. I think we need to make a video with the set up you have Panope. I like the angle.
Attached Files
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 09:05   #6

Spade Anchor,

I would very much like to test a Spade Anchor. If you send one to me, I promise to conduct a fair and accurate test and then return the anchor to you.

Steve
Old 30-10-2015, 09:10   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

Bravo! Excellent study of anchors. Possible today tks to a GoPro camera. Clever setup. I agree with you that the buoyancy of the float for the camera is rather irrelevant. Cannot reduce the effect of the chain lying along the bottom.

Surprising how the Danforth failed but while i hv always used a CQR i always let the anchor settle a bit first before going into reverse and digging it in. If you immediately go into a hard reverse there is the chance that the anchor will skip across the bottom without digging in rather like yr example of the Danforth. Now, what about a film test of a CQR ?
Old 30-10-2015, 09:22   #8

SaltyMetals, Thanks.

I eagerly await the opportunity to test a CQR anchor. We used one aboard Panope back in the 1980's and although the anchor provided good holding once set, it was at times difficult to set in the first place.

I chose to use a very abrupt setting technique for all these tests so as to simulate a worst case scenario.

Steve
Old 30-10-2015, 09:25   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Spade Anchor,

I would very much like to test a Spade Anchor. If you send one to me, I promise to conduct a fair and accurate test and then return the anchor to you.

Steve
Spade Anchor is always open and welcoming to independent testing.
Send me a PM with your mailing location, model/make of boat, weight and length of boat. We can then go over some details.
Spade Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 10:41   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:

This week, an acquaintance loaned to me a Fortress FX-16 anchor weighing in at 10 pounds. This was my first hands-on experience with a fortress anchor and I was very eager to see if it would live up to the great reputation that these anchors enjoy.

And live up it did! I gave it the full, abusive torture treatment that the other anchors received. The anchor set immediately and repeatedly brought Panope to abrupt halts from as much as 3.6 knots.

I have been wanting to add a Fortress anchor to my arsenal for some time but I figured this 10 pounder would be under sized. After this test, I quickly realized that this is just what I need for a stern/rowable anchor. Ended up buying this anchor from the person who loaned it for the test.

Steve

Here is the new Fortress Video:

Awesome job Steve! Thanks for posting this video and for the kind words!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Thanks Steve, another excellant anchor video. Cheers. Just got a fx11 for my little boat (a little nis 23) it will be fun to see how it performs, it is a beautifully made anchor. Certainly impressive how well the fortress does in the reverse test I always figured they were great in a straight pull but unstable with side loads. Looks like I was wrong! Also nice to see the thing didn't bend. Cheers
Snowpetrel, I appreciate your comments as well. We have long asserted that a properly-sized and well-buried Fortress, with its two large precision-machined and sharpened flukes, is NOT more likely to break free from a sea bottom than other anchor types during a wind or tidal shift.

Steve also touched on the most often-heard comment....getting the Fortress back out after it has been put under high tension from the engine (in this case) or the wind.

Safe anchoring,
Brian
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 11:00   #11

Thanks Brian,

I forgot to mention that The Fortress anchor that I have did not have the "mud palm" installed (in fact, the palms are missing).

I do not plan on leaving the West Coast so it may be that the mud palms will never be needed by myself.

Is there any disadvantage to have the mud palms installed when NOT in mud?

Steve
Old 30-10-2015, 12:48   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Thanks Steve.

These are great videos. Keep them coming. I know these tests must be a lot of work, but I would love to see more.

Looks like the crabs like your efforts as well .
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 12:57   #13
Sponsoring Vendor

Quote:
Thanks Brian,

I forgot to mention that The Fortress anchor that I have did not have the "mud palm" installed (in fact, the palms are missing).

I do not plan on leaving the West Coast so it may be that the mud palms will never be needed by myself.

Is there any disadvantage to have the mud palms installed when NOT in mud?

Steve
Hi Steve,

The Mud Palms will help the anchor set faster in any type of sea bottom, as they lift the back end up so that the flukes take a more aggressive downward angle.

We have included the Mud Palms inside the box with every anchor for the past 20 years or so.

Please send me a PM with your address and I will send out a set for your FX-16.

Stay safe,
Brian
Fortress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2015, 14:58   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Thanks Steve.

These are great videos. Keep them coming. I know these tests must be a lot of work, but I would love to see more.

Looks like the crabs like your efforts as well .
Thanks Noelex,

The big crab that jiggled the camera tether looked like a keeper. Yumm....

Steve
Old 03-11-2015, 19:48   #15

Here is my latest offering from today's test of the Fortress. This time I used a rode consisting of 12 feet of 5/16" chain, spliced to a length of 9/16" nylon rope. I deployed this from the stern of the boat while underway at a steady 3.6 knots. The Idea was to simulate an emergency stop using the anchor only.

Steve

Tags
anchor