Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2017, 08:08   #1

Small sailboats with heavy keel and large sail area

I writing in order to hear if any of you have experiences with small sailboats (23-26 ft) with heavy keels and large sail area. I have recently been introduced to a boat class called the Spækhugger (Killer Whale) which is a rather popular racing class in Denmark (but not elsewhere afaik).

A bit of background information. The boat was designed by Peter Bruun in the 60’ies who drew inspiration from the hull shape of traditional wooden double enders.

L.o.a. 7,44 m
L.w.l. 6,31 m
Beam 2,33 m
Draft 1,45 m
Displacement 2.280 kg
Keel (fin, iron) 1.372 kg (60%)
Main sail 18,4 m2
Genoa 22 m2
Spinnaker 53 m2

Judging a boat by its measurements alone is - to say the least - difficult. In my experience the Spækhugger is very fast in a light breeze (due to large sail area) and quite stable in a strong breeze (due to heavy keel). It has a L.Y.S.-rating of 1.05, which is somewhat higher than e.g. an IF-boat.

Given the popularity of this boat in my own region I am puzzled but the fact that small sailboats elsewhere tend to be lightweight and tender - in particular those with a fin keel. Perhaps some of you are familiar with boats that have characteristics similar to the Spækhugger, and are willing to share your thoughts about possible merits and drawbacks.
matm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 08:51   #2

Re: Small sailboats with heavy keel and large sail area

Interesting boat.

I am kind of surprised that an iron keel that size weighs so much.

SPAEKHUGGER
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:14   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

You are talking what is a simile of a Classe Mini boat in a double-ended form. Not quite as light, but just look at her ballast ratio and her foils. This one moves.

As far as I know, there are few if any similar boats. Your own has smaller and bigger brothers and sisters and all, I think, by the same designer. So there are the Morsvin, the Speakhugger, the Grinde and the Kaskelot. All of them great responsive boats and by far one great choice for someone who wants a boat that looks like a doubleender but feels like a modern racer.

Our friends sailed out to the West Indies and back in a Grinde and I have seen a Kaskelot here which turned my mouth water. I am sure quite a number of these breed sailed far and back. Which is also true for IF, as well as for many small Scandinavian boats from the 60-ties and onwards.

Big hugs from onboard another small Scandinavian shooter ;-)

Cheers,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:15   #4

It sounds like similar approach to a Folkboat. Folkboats were ~50% ballast ratio and narrow beam. Some people love them. They heel a lot contrary to thinking they don't because of the large amount of ballast. I disliked my Contessa which is a bit of a clone of the Folkboat. With the narrow beam they heel very quickly, but do settle in solid once heeled.
Wet ride.
Lightweight doesn't always mean tender.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 15:33   #5

Speakhugger is more like flat and beamy. Unusual for that era and very innovative back then. Downwind they beat an IF hands down in any conditions. Their main is a bit too small to truly perform off the wind but I have seen at least one with a modified rig and a square top.

You are right that IF / Folkboat / Contessa 26 are alike. But they are unlike the Speakhugger toy. The underbody is very modern in a Speakhugger.

When we look at the newest Rustler (I think 33) this is more like. A hull that has classic visuals yet the canoe is a modern shape and the foils are long and fine.

If I could have a Kaskelot I could be very very tempted to have one. BTW the Rustler 33 would be docked on the opposite side of my private pier too. ;-)

Cheers,
b.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:35   #6

Cape Dory 25 or Cape Dory 27.
jfischgrund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:57   #7

Goddavs derovre :-)

I had a cousin who raced the Spækhugger for many years in Sjælland Rundt. Was never in one myself, my experience being in Juniorbåde, Folkebåde and King's Cruisers, the latter here in the Straits of Georgia on Canada's west coast.

The King's Cruiser could not hold the local North American designed "modern" boats on a downhill run, but obviously could hold her canvas longer. That is just the natural consequence of the difference in "model" - the shape of the underwater hull - that derives from the boats having been designed for different waters and weather conditions.

I think it would be easier to make specific comments about this (or other boats) if you were to tell us what your particular concern is. Why does ballast ratio concern you? Do you attach any importance to Sail Area/Displacement ratio? You say, I think rightly, that the Spækhugger was both fast, in 1960s Scowegian terms, and able to stay on her feet. So what is your concern? Are you looking for something faster still to sail in Kattegat/"Sydhavet"/the Baltic? Are you contemplating taking a Spækhugger deep sea?

What is it you want us to give you our opinion on?

TP (Former Danish Person)
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 13:55   #8

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Most boats designed for racing are built to a handicap rule so that the designers concern is a boat that is fast for it's handicap not fast in terms of speed over the water. Makes for lots of odd boats that win races but don't sail to well. One design classes like the folk boats aimed at good speed and seakeeping which make for a good (if wet coastal cruiser) and one capable of long passages
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 14:37   #9

Boat: 1984 Merit 25

Your keel alone weighs more than my whole boat. I would have to add 5 crew and 3 cases of beer to weigh that much. I'll bet she handles like a Lamborghini!

MERIT 25 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
Aaarrgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 14:39   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
Most boats designed for racing are built to a handicap rule so that the designers concern is a boat that is fast for it's handicap not fast in terms of speed over the water. Makes for lots of odd boats that win races but don't sail to well. One design classes like the folk boats aimed at good speed and seakeeping which make for a good (if wet coastal cruiser) and one capable of long passages
It's interesting, though, to look at race results and handicaps like HN and PHRF. Those "racing boats that win races but are not fast" are very hard to find. Almost all of the time, the racing boats are faster than contemporary cruisers.

Which particular boats were you thinking about?
Chris 249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 15:46   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post

Most boats designed for racing are built to a handicap rule so that the designers concern is a boat that is fast for it's handicap not fast in terms of speed over the water. Makes for lots of odd boats that win races but don't sail to well. (...)
Names please.

Imho most racing boats sail VERY WELL. That's why they are racing.

Imho most cruising boats sail like pigs. Though a number of cruising designs sail almost as well as the worst racing ones.

Or at least the racing boats I have sailed were by a long far the best sailing boats I ever sailed. YMMV

Cheers,
b.
Old 12-06-2017, 15:51   #12

Boat: Catalina 350

Look at a Dragon. I understand there are quite a few in the US and Canada. A very popular international class. A great boat to race in class.
Seas the Day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2017, 09:24   #13

The OP might want to read Larry and Lin Pardys book "Cruising in Seraffyn". He goes into long discussion about a large rig and lots of ballast on a small boat, and they talk about passage speeds that seem out of proportion for a 24 foot boat. They built the boat themselves and have written many books, so it doesnt surprise me that they describe their boat as almost perfect, but there are some interesting things in the book. I just googled their name and it appears that they have around 20 books on the market. _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 23:33   #14

Columbias.

Heavy fibreglass, really heavy full length fin keel, large sail area. Sails like a tank in weather and zips along pretty fast even in a light wind.

I was out in 5-15 and was doing 6 kts without even stressing and the main double reefed. I do have a 150 jib though.
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, keel, sail, sailboat