Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2017, 07:42   #1

St. Martin 10 day itinerary

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum. I've lurked for years and have been on other forums, but this forum seems to be the most active now.

We are heading down to St. Martin, chartering a Catana Fusion 47 from DYC in Oct of this year. We always go down in Oct and take our chances with the weather. Over the last 27 years, we've only been rained out or stormed out two or three times. So, we know our "plans" are just plans and our trip may not end up like anything we had in mind. It's part of the adventure for us.

Generally, we've seen good winds (~20k) most of the time, although not as high in the mornings.

Our initial rough plan is something like this: Sailplanner - The anticipatory pleasure...

We've not sailed down to Montserrat before, but like the island a lot and want to return for a couple of nights. We would cut Saba and Statia out, if time did not permit these stops. We've been up to Anguilla and around St. Martin and are not interested in doing this this year.

I'm looking for any and all comments you may have from your personal experience of any part of this itinerary, DYC in St. Martin, the Catana 47, etc.

Help us plan our trip!

TIA
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:43   #2

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: St. Martin 10 day itinerary

Montserrat is cool, but watch the wave prediction. Its very unpleasant in north swell.

Another suggestion would be to add Antigua. We love Jolly Harbor area. It also makes an easier point back to St. Martin. We recently did Jolly to Marigot in 15 hours. It was a great run and we caught a ton of fish (I think the count was 12 Tuna).
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 08:54   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Montserrat is cool, but watch the wave prediction. Its very unpleasant in north swell.

Another suggestion would be to add Antigua. We love Jolly Harbor area. It also makes an easier point back to St. Martin. We recently did Jolly to Marigot in 15 hours. It was a great run and we caught a ton of fish (I think the count was 12 Tuna).
Thanks for the reply.

I have read about the swells, but possibly we'll be okay in Oct. (Who really knows until you get to that date and location?)

Yes, we've been to Antigua several times also. The islands on this trip that we haven't hit previously are St. Barts, Statia and Saba (how we've missed these I'm not sure).

If the winds/weather are just right, we might consider a long run from St. Barts directly to Montserrat. We've never chartered a Catana, but from everything I read and watch on YouTube, with the right wind the boat can fly.

Jolly to Marigot is quite a run. We do hope to catch some fish!
Old 11-05-2017, 16:25   #4

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by leboyd View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I have read about the swells, but possibly we'll be okay in Oct. (Who really knows until you get to that date and location?)

Yes, we've been to Antigua several times also. The islands on this trip that we haven't hit previously are St. Barts, Statia and Saba (how we've missed these I'm not sure).

If the winds/weather are just right, we might consider a long run from St. Barts directly to Montserrat. We've never chartered a Catana, but from everything I read and watch on YouTube, with the right wind the boat can fly.

Jolly to Marigot is quite a run. We do hope to catch some fish!
Those are all really cool places. Saba can be a little difficult in the high season (no balls, no anchoring). It should be OK in October.

We haven't been to Statia yet but our cruising friends speak highly of it.

You might have a difficult run in October as the wind may still have a significant south component. However, like you said, you never know till you get there.

It sounds like you have been down here enough to know, but I thought I would mention it. Stay away from Snappers, Groupers, Kingfish or Cuda unless you want to catch Ciguatera. Its really no joke, we know a few people that have caught it. We eat nothing but Tuna, Mahi or Wahoo.

Anyway.. Enjoy and have fun
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2017, 18:36   #5

Thanks for the input Travellerw. I appreciate it.
Old 14-05-2017, 17:20   #6

Boat: Boatless at this time (is this a word?)

Here is a sail I did with my son's last March. What is missing is that my Delorme didn't record on this our trip From St. Barts to St. Croix and then back to the BVI's to pick up the admirals for their 10 day sail in the BVI's and USVI's.

We did this trip on a 42 foot Leopard Cat that I rented from Sebattical. It was in tired shape, dirty bottom, and diesel tanks that were not ready for the real ocean waves. As you can see, beating to the East was no fun, but once we got to Anguilla, all was forgotten. I read a few of the previous posts and I have to respectfully disagree with their observations. I can give you a trip report, but Ill condense it to tell you that you should go and have fun. If you want any play by play of the details of the trip, I can give it to you in a PM.

Anguilla is a dream to start the trip in that Governors bay is this bar beach, with ummmmm Bars! Great sand and enjoy the laid back pace and the people. Make sure to go to Dad's bar and chill.

St. Martin is well worth it to circle the island on the end of your trip. So many places to go and snorkel, drink wine, buy french baguettes, eat some more, go for a run, then chill on the beach. Then sail to Saba, my favorite stop ...well almost on my trip. Don't listen to the other commentary. I arrived at midnight in the dark. I looked for a ball to the north of the port. I'm lucky I didn't find one. Onto the port. Nope, no balls. But, I anchored with my awesome ronca in 30 feet next to that author that wrote those books on sailing serious storms (remind me who that guy is). No problem for 4 days as my sons went on to get their Padi licenses and we went diving off of diamond rock etc. Best in the world. Then off to climb the roads and up to the top of the island. A great people live on this rock. Enjoy the place!

Then we went to an overnight to Monserrat. This island is seriously damaged but the people are a resilient folk. Its worth a few days here. Stay in the harbor! Stay south of the harbor at the black beaches and enjoy being by yourself. See the devastation from the volcano and meet some locals and take them out to dinner! Ive got some amazing pictures of pools completely filled with Volcanic ash, houses still as if someone just left in a rush, and whole sides of mountains blown off. This was an island I didn't spend much time at as it was depressing for my son's and I.

Then we went to Antigua but decided while sailing at night to not go there because we were looking forward to Barbuda. Barbuda is a flat island settled by former slaves, somewhat 2nd3rd worldish, and super chill. Walk around town, even the customs guy knew we were coming because everybody knows everybody and as we were walking people were talking to us calling the guy. Eat a lobster dinner at the Rosti Queen, go to the bird rookery and see amazing nature, moor off of one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, go kite surfing at the windy's lake in front of the town all day long. Jump the beach on the kite from the lake to the ocean (if you are good enough to fly for 50 meters). Get to know some people and invite them to dinner on your boat. Oh my? Its not done? I do it all the time while I travel. It becomes the highlight of the trips meeting people. Yes, they are mostly poor, but why be afraid of that?

Does this all sound good?

Then we sailed a few days later West at 4 pm and arrived at 4 am in St. Barts and for sure moor at Shell Beach. Its a few blocks to town, and enjoy what for my family is their favorite island. French food, scooters, good food, girls in bikinis, lots of good french cheese, rent and fly an airplane if you have your pilots license into one of the most challenging landings in the commercial world and around a few of the islands, and then go back to Shell beach and have a Caipirinha or three (make sure someone takes you back to the boat!)

And then there is more! The trip to St. Croix was easy overnight, and I really loved diving in St. Croix and enjoying the toned down tourist crowd. People who are not used to anything but top quality should not go, but if you like to dive, hike, swim, meet people, this is the place to go (I don't think it would be smart to go here for your itinerary.)

PM me if you want any encouragement.
Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BVI to Anguilla StM Saba Mont Barbu stBart St Croix.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	147805  
Swammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2017, 18:54   #7

Thanks, Swammy. I've copied some notes from your trip for things to consider.

Since we're chartering, i suspect they will not let us sail at night.
Old 14-05-2017, 19:07   #8

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We absolutely loved a visit to Saba. They have placed very good moorings in the lee of the island but they are still subject to swells that refract around the island. Much better in an east wind than a northeast but still not great. You take the dinghy around to a small artificial harbour at the south end of the island. Likely to be a wet trip in most conditions. Start with a taxi tour. Small island without too many roads but the driver will stop to talk to everyone he knows, which is to say everyone. The place is quite unlike any other part of the eastern Caribbean.
Old 14-05-2017, 19:45   #9

Thanks, AiniA. We definitely hope to stop in Saba!
Old 16-05-2017, 03:57   #10
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

You included St Kitts on your proposed itinerary.

I'd suggest that you clear in at Charlestown, Nevis, instead. Nevis is a very laid-back, friendly island with some very good restaurants, beach bars, and good hiking opportunities. When we were cruising the eastern Caribbean, my wife and I liked Nevis so much we sold our home in Virginia and bought a place there. Lived there for six years before moving back to the States.

St Kitts has a very different feel compared with Nevis, but is worth visiting for a day. Take the early ferry over from Nevis and hire a taxi driver to take you around the island.

If you're into hiking, here's a link to a Nevis hiking blog

HikingNevis
Old 16-05-2017, 05:15   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
You included St Kitts on your proposed itinerary.

I'd suggest that you clear in at Charlestown, Nevis, instead. Nevis is a very laid-back, friendly island with some very good restaurants, beach bars, and good hiking opportunities. When we were cruising the eastern Caribbean, my wife and I liked Nevis so much we sold our home in Virginia and bought a place there. Lived there for six years before moving back to the States.

St Kitts has a very different feel compared with Nevis, but is worth visiting for a day. Take the early ferry over from Nevis and hire a taxi driver to take you around the island.

If you're into hiking, here's a link to a Nevis hiking blog

HikingNevis
Thanks Hud. Yes, we've been to both islands and enjoy Nevis more. The reasons I had considered stopping at St. Kitts is it's more of a half-way point between St. Barts and Montserrat and I thought the harbor was better for anchorage or morring. I'll continue to review the cruising guide to decide which one to stop at.
Old 16-05-2017, 07:39   #12

Boat: Jeanneau 57

leboyd - the anchorage at Basseterre is the worst one that I've ever been into in the Caribbean. Even in moderate conditions there's a very nasty roll outside Basseterre; my first time there it was so bad that around midnight I found myself thrown out of my bunk and was sliding around the floorboards while trying to crawl in the cabin - I got the anchor up and spent my night out at sea (where it was quite calm) before heading in to White Bay to anchor and get some sleep.
The anchorage off Pinney's Beach on Nevis looks like an unlikely candidate as it is wide open, but every time I've anchored there or taken one of the free moorings it has been wonderfully calm.
Old 16-05-2017, 07:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
leboyd - the anchorage at Basseterre is the worst one that I've ever been into in the Caribbean. Even in moderate conditions there's a very nasty roll outside Basseterre; my first time there it was so bad that around midnight I found myself thrown out of my bunk and was sliding around the floorboards while trying to crawl in the cabin - I got the anchor up and spent my night out at sea (where it was quite calm) before heading in to White Bay to anchor and get some sleep.
The anchorage off Pinney's Beach on Nevis looks like an unlikely candidate as it is wide open, but every time I've anchored there or taken one of the free moorings it has been wonderfully calm.
Thanks, Zanshin. I will make a note of this.
Old 16-05-2017, 07:57   #14

Boat: Jeanneau 57

There are some sights on St. Kitts that are worth visiting (UNESCO World Heritage site Brimstone Fortress, some pictures on my blog page, or the sugar plantations on the north side) and while Nevis has fewer sites it does have good hiking as mentioned before and has the big anchoring field off Pinney's Beach.

I would put together a list of destinations, but not decide on the itinerary until you arrive. A north swell and/or heavy swells will make any visits to Saba and Statia very uncomfortable and force you to tuck into Ile Fourchue or Colombier on St. Barths rather than use the anchorages off Gustavia. The only real escape from a big north swell in that are is hiding inside the Simpson Bay Lagoon, but some anchorages suffer more than others.

Antigua has a large number of nice beaches and anchorages. My favorite anchorage used to be Anse Colombier in St. Barths but has now become Green Island in Antigua (See here for details)

If conditions are mild then sites such as Ile Tintamarre off St. Martin also open up.

Green Island cove anchorage
Old 16-05-2017, 08:04   #15

Thanks again, Zanshin. Yes, definitely, weather and swells will ultimately decide where we go and anchor.

Tags
St Martin