Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 10:05   #1

Boat: FP ORANA 44
dinghy thefts St Martin

Word is that there have been a rash of dinghy thefts in St Martin, not so much Sint Maarten. Very organized. When the cargo ship/s from south america or? are in port dinghys are rounded up on day of departure, loaded on the ships and shipped off with local cooperation. Apparently there is nothing one can do to recover a dinghy, even if you see all this happening. The gendarmes nor the port authority will help we have been told. No access to the port is allowed to retrieve stolen property. Interesting. Is important to use massive anchor chain to secure engine and dink. Lifting is not enough. If it can be cut with a portable die grinder, bye bye dinkster. Anyone else with knowledge is encouraged to respond.
sailorgirl1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 10:21   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 409
Re: dinghy thefts St Martin

Excellent recipe to kill their tourism.
2015 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - 3 Cabin / 2 Head, Shoal Keel, Furling Main, Performance Genoa 135% with Tracks, Folding Prop, Bow Thruster, Air Conditioning, B&G Zeus2 Chartplotter, B&G Autopilot, B&G 4G Radar, B&G ForwardScan Sonar.
epiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:01   #3

Boat: Jeanneau 409

Copied from noon site:

2016: Locked dinghy and outboard thefts continue to be a problem in the Lagoon, particularly on the French side. Be sure to lift and chain and lock your dinghy and outboard at night and sleep with your doors and hatches locked.

St Martin —
2015 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 - 3 Cabin / 2 Head, Shoal Keel, Furling Main, Performance Genoa 135% with Tracks, Folding Prop, Bow Thruster, Air Conditioning, B&G Zeus2 Chartplotter, B&G Autopilot, B&G 4G Radar, B&G ForwardScan Sonar.
epiic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:17   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: dinghy thefts St Martin

Guess I must have been lucky these last seventeen years.. I only ever anchor French side.. in Marigot Bay.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:21   #5

Boat: Boatless

The Lagoon is a dirty, dangerous place to wait for the next hurricane to destroy the boats.

Just move on or don't visit in the first place!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:58   #6

I have not had a problem either, just passing the word from multiple reliable sources. Have been here since November.
Old 06-02-2017, 12:02   #7

None of these have been in Simpson Lagoon Dutch side, french side only according to sources. Have been in Marigot bay, city dock, Sandy Ground area, Nettle Lagoon and Bay. I have not had a problem anywhere yet.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:16   #8

sailorgirl1954, Please take a few minutes and complete the simple CSSN online incident reporting form, https://www.safetyandsecuritynet.com...e-forms-draft/ using the best information that you have. If you prefer, email safetyandsecuritynet@gmail.com . When you hear of a report, ask on the VHF net for verification/details and ask the victims to make a CSSN online report. Unfortunately, business interests in SXM are more interested in your money than taking any actions to reduce or eliminate the problem, or even sharing the facts about these types of events with our community of cruisers. CSSN will do our best to sort out the extent of what has been happening in SXM, but we need your direct input, cruisers helping cruisers !
CSSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:58   #9

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46
pirate Re: dinghy thefts St Martin

I spent a whole year in the Marina of Fort Louis and did not have dingy probs but in Anquila I lost Carib dingy and brand New Tohatsu 9.9 cable cutter left me onle cable pieces at Road Harbor town. Cost 5k for replacement with new from St Martin Budget Marine. I was told that all those dingies end up in Nevis by a harbor worker in St Martin.
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:42   #10

Boat: Leopard 40

We've been here since the end of November and there have been no dinghy thefts reported. There were a few last season, but all of them have been recovered.

There is no large port in Marigot. The container ships come into Phillipsburg. Therefore, whoever made that report doesn't know what they are talking about.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:47   #11

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Dinghies will be going to Mexico.
They'll need them to get round the ends of the wall.
Old 07-02-2017, 11:37   #12

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Maje View Post
We've been here since the end of November and there have been no dinghy thefts reported. There were a few last season, but all of them have been recovered.

There is no large port in Marigot. The container ships come into Phillipsburg. Therefore, whoever made that report doesn't know what they are talking about.

Maje
Our dink and outboard were never recovered cut off the back of the boat at 02:00 in Grande Case..that was a few years ago now....then we heard of the 14 year old boy with 17 outboards in his bedroom......this was not this year and things seem to have gotten better but then we all seem to have upped our security measures with large SS chain now being the prefered method of dink security.

There is a commercial dock/harbour in Marigot and we too heard that is where the dinks went in a container and off island as it did appear at one time to be organised theft.
Highland Fling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 11:48   #13

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

Reminds me of the 70,S and 80,S in Singapore, Dinghy's and outboards were being stolen, turns out it was happening when the drilling rig supply boats arrived from Indonesia, the stolen property was taken back, they wanted the outboards, not the dinghy's[mostly inflatables], so would leave them behind, i had mine taken on one occasion, this was happening on the East side of the Island, where the offshore facilities were, not on the West side where the Republic of singapore yacht club, on the West side the Indonesians from Sumatra would cross over the Malacca and steal outboards, they had Dugout canoes, powered with Big outboards, back then Tin was smuggled out of Malaysia at Night in these Dugouts, sometimes you could see them at high speed moving over the water, interesting times.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 13:42   #14

Boat: LAGOON 440 Catamaran

I also remember the smugglers of Sembawang (Singapore) I was on my Father's boat CARINYA II in 1981 - moored at Ong Say Kwon's marina :-)
JeffBurnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 14:21   #15

Boat: Formosa 41

We were anchored in Marigot on a charter cat. and when everyone was sleeping I hid the dinghy. In the morning the capt. (my good buddy,) was looking at the shore with binoculars trying to spot it.

Then I head him walking on our port hull where he looked over and found the dinghy tied alongside. Good for a laugh.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy, St Martin