Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2016, 08:56   #1

St Martin / Anguilla / St Bart Cruise

Hello -

This is my first post and I am preparing for our first charter in Leeward Islands. Any insight into the following would be greatly appreciated.

1) What is the most secluded overnight anchorage on the north side of St Martin

2) Where is the best kayaking in Anguilla?

3) Any tips on rounding Scrub Island off Anguilla and is it worth going that way to get to St Barts?

Thank you in advance - looking forward to our trip and interacting with this forum.

Best,
Sam
saml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 08:18   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: St Martin / Anguilla / St Bart Cruise

saml - I'll answer number 1 for you. There aren't many anchorages to choose from, Anse Marcel,Grand Case and Marigot are all relatively busy; so Friar's Bay is your best bet. I've spent the past two nights there and it is a lot calmer than the other anchorages as well!
Old 11-04-2016, 15:54   #3
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Zanshin could have answered all three as he is the expert on these areas along with Mark. But to answer #2, from my limited knowledge, it will be Little Bay. You can only really moor in Little Bay and Sandy Ground anyway. Or, go out to Prickly Pear. It's been years but it was pretty nice water and a great beach as I remember.

For #3, no problem with Scrub and it is totally the best route to St. Barth's. There is a blow hole on Scrub - look for it.

If you want a lot more information on charter routes for these areas you should try a forum google search. Hit the "search" tab and select the second option. Put "St. Maarten barths anguilla charter" in and be prepared to spend a few hours reading.
Old 13-04-2016, 08:02   #4

Palarran - (post coming from anchor at Friar's Bay) I can't answer #2 because I've never actually been to Anguilla; I can see it from the anchorages on St. Martin but I've heard that going anywhere except the main anchorage is prohibitively expensive, so I've skipped that island.
Old 13-04-2016, 08:40   #5
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Zanshin, Can you believe it's been 5 years now since I left ?
IMO, while Anguilla was expensive, it was also worth it. And come on my friend, you sail a brand new Jeanneau 57 - drop a dime every once in awhile

Or, invite some friends like me, I'd be happy to do an OPB and pick up the tab
Old 13-04-2016, 11:59   #6

Boat: IT40 Motorsailer. 40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Zanshin, Can you believe it's been 5 years now since I left ?
IMO, while Anguilla was expensive, it was also worth it. And come on my friend, you sail a brand new Jeanneau 57 - drop a dime every once in awhile

Or, invite some friends like me, I'd be happy to do an OPB and pick up the tab
Just had to jump in on this one. Anguilla for boaters is CHEAP. No fees if the boat is less than 15 tons. The taxis will be your biggest expense at say $20.00 for a RT ride to the store if you need to go for provisions. Road Harbour (Sandy Ground) is excellent anchorage, and everything you could want with the exception of the grocery stores is there. The restaurants in Sandy Ground are a little pricey but no more than I spent while anchored in the Lagoon in SXM either. The provisioning costs on Anguilla are MUCH cheaper than many other islands including St. Barts BVI, USVI, and most other leeward islands with the exception of St. Maarten. BTW, you got excellent advice regarding anchorage on the NS of SXM, and always round Scrub on the way to St. Barts. BTW, presently anchored in Anguilla and love it here!
JstaRebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 14:45   #7

Ok - you've convinced me I can see Anguilla while I type this (we're backwinded today and my computer faces forward) and instead of going south immediately I'll head over to Anguilla next. I know I can be cheap, Palarran - sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees and get caught up in items that I think aren't good value-per-dollar ... I should just ignore that and do it.
Old 13-04-2016, 15:39   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Ok - you've convinced me I can see Anguilla while I type this (we're backwinded today and my computer faces forward) and instead of going south immediately I'll head over to Anguilla next. I know I can be cheap, Palarran - sometimes I can't see the forest for the trees and get caught up in items that I think aren't good value-per-dollar ... I should just ignore that and do it.
I just hope this NW wind turn around today, but it will be great for going to St. Barts. Tight sheets!!
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 05:49   #9

Considering that there's less wind about this morning than let out by a bee with serious flatulence there's no reason to put out any sheets unless they need airing
Old 14-04-2016, 05:59   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: St Martin / Anguilla / St Bart Cruise

Quote:
saml - I'll answer number 1 for you. There aren't many anchorages to choose from, Anse Marcel,Grand Case and Marigot are all relatively busy; so Friar's Bay is your best bet. I've spent the past two nights there and it is a lot calmer than the other anchorages as well!
Is the Friars Bay Beach Bar still going strong with the live music..??
One of my favourite anchorages in the past..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 07:31   #11

I haven't heard any live music, just loud and aggressive SoCa on weekends. The beach pretty much closes down at sunset when the places ashore roll up their beach equipment. It is beautiful here today, but very hot since there's no wind at all. I just took a swim off the back to cool down and am back in the cabin; preparing to change the engine and generator oils and filters...
Old 14-04-2016, 07:52   #12

Quote:
Considering that there's less wind about this morning than let out by a bee with serious flatulence there's no reason to put out any sheets unless they need airing
Indeed.. The boats anchored in Sandy Ground are going every which direction. FYI, ST. Thomas to PR is also flat this morning according to friends there. Oh well. Maybe a swim and a cocktail or two!!
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 09:03   #13

While it is nice to have a calm day or two, this weather isn't too good for Les Voiles de St. Barths.

Tags
Anguilla, cruise, St Martin