Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2017, 06:52   #1

Bahama's and south

Scheduled to leave Kemah Tx in Oct 2017 heading for the Bahamas and on South. But when to leave is at issue. Since most of the islands I was planning to visit are mostly destroyed by Irma, I'm not sure as to when to leave or even if I should. It may be a long time for services to be available. Any suggestions?

Kingwoodie
s/v Margaret Ann
kingwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 08:19   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Bahama's and south

We are heading from the Chesapeake to the eastern Caribbean in November and are wondering what the best approach is too. I am sure things will clear up a lot in the next several weeks. Our original plan was to go to St Martin. Probably still go there and just not expect much shoreside like shopping, boat repairs, etc. We may stay in SXM for only a couple of days to rest before heading further south.
Old 13-09-2017, 08:44   #3

Well, it's a good question without much of an answer. Many islanders lived hand to mouth prior to the hurricanes a lot and much of work is tourism. That will not be re-established for quite a a while. Some islands were marginally safe before. OTOH, with all the reconstruction that will be going on, they may be more employed than ever! But I imagine it's going to take a long time for supply ships with construction materials to make a dent in the need. I would imagine your local pasty and coffee spot in St Martin will be open soon, although it wont be like before, it may just be a table outside! Maybe there is some out of the norm adventure in the whole thing if you are cruising through. But be careful.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 09:55   #4

Cheechako: I don't know either but my alternate route is to hang a right at the yucatan and head south to Cartagena and return after next years hurricane season visiting the Islands on my way back. But I am undecided and will wait for a couple of months before deciding.
Kingwoodie
s/v Margaret Ann
kingwoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 15:03   #5

Boat: Sabre 38

I had the same plans and now the same questions.

No doubt that the last thing these folks need is for the tourism dollars to dry up. But some amount of the infrastructure needs to be rebuilt (thinking boat supplies, groceries, and health care) and it needs to be safe. I think the former can be accomplished within a few months. Not sure on the later.

Will be paying close attention over the next few months.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 17:03   #6

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingeggs View Post
I had the same plans and now the same questions.

No doubt that the last thing these folks need is for the tourism dollars to dry up. But some amount of the infrastructure needs to be rebuilt (thinking boat supplies, groceries, and health care) and it needs to be safe. I think the former can be accomplished within a few months. Not sure on the later.

Will be paying close attention over the next few months.
I can only speak about the Bahamas and Cuba directly, and through friends about points South.

But I suspect a lot of the answers are it depends. A lot of places in the Bahamas never had much in the first place so there was not much to lose. For people who cruise off the grid so to speak and are not expecting to go to an air conditioned coffee shop to start the day there may not be any real change. But if you are expecting to buy fuel weekly to run the generator you may be out of luck.

No question any tourist dollars will help and if you stop in the local Lowes and pick up a few boxes of concrete screws, romex, or similar items they may be more welcome than dollars.

I know there are some places South of the Bahamas that have reports of armed looters, but again those places are more like the places where there are coffee shops than out island anchorages where you go ashore and buy fresh baked bread from someone's home.

Bottom line for me is if you are trying to get away from it all there is no problem, but if you expect to go some place and find it all there may be a problem. I have plenty of solar, including a solar stove, and normally sail on and off the anchor, almost never eat out, and have a water maker and rain catcher. I carry plenty of beans and rice and can fish and dive for lobster. So I would have no problem returning to any of these places. But understand that others might want to head towards more civilization rather than less.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 17:14   #7
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
We are heading from the Chesapeake to the eastern Caribbean in November and are wondering what the best approach is too. I am sure things will clear up a lot in the next several weeks. Our original plan was to go to St Martin. Probably still go there and just not expect much shoreside like shopping, boat repairs, etc. We may stay in SXM for only a couple of days to rest before heading further south.

Seriously? This is what you have to say/ask? "...things will clear up a lot in the next several weeks."?

What will clear up? Info? The island itself?

Too soon, dude. Too soon.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 17:25   #8

Boat: Mauritius 43 Sloop

We heading that way this winter as well, first through Florida and the Keys.

What I've been wondering is, especially in the Keys, how long it will take to restore aids to navigation. And, more importantly, changes in shoals and harbor entrances.
atmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 17:45   #9

Boat: 42 Krogen #61

In a trip from US to presumably Grenada or Trinidad for next hurricane season, the affected part of the northeast Caribbean is small by comparison. When we came out of the Western Caribbean to Puerto Rico we needed to make time and went from USVI to Martinique then south. We missed Antiqua, Dominica and several others that are all still fine. We will visit them on the way back north. Just plan on longer legs south and hit them on the way back north.

Don't mean to get into a politically correct argument. Just trying to answer OP questions.

On another note it would be a shame to miss the western side, our favorite so far.

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sea Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2017, 17:53   #10

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53

AnniA...we are also headed south from the Chesapeake last week of September but intend to slowly transit the East Coast staying out of"the box" until mid November. Send me a PM with contact info and we'll report what we find ahead of you. We prefer "outside" legs but will use the ICW when weather wont permit comfortable passage predictions. Planning to cross to Bahamas in late December and explore Abacos, Eleutheras till May-then I-65 south toward Grenada to be out of the "box" by June. We are well equipped for extended anchoring and sailing versus marina stays and will seek a buddy boat with same intentions.

TMT2
TMT2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas