Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2019, 05:38   #1

Boat: Catalina 470
Florida marinas.

I'm most likely leaving the boat for 3 mths around xmas time, looking at options.

Im currently south at Grenada, one possibility is to head up north after hurricane season to see the sights and the leave the boat somewhere in Florida.

I saw on another thread Sailorboy mention a couple of marinas that charge $11-$16/ day , where are they (are you there Sailorboy?).

Any suggests regarding affordable marinas in Florida would be appreciated.

Cheers Dale.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:05   #2

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Florida marinas.

If you want reasonable rates and don't care so much about amenities try the central east coast. South Florida is crazy expensive, but Ft Pierce to Titusville has some pretty reasonable prices. There are two in the Eau Gallie River that charged Only $10/ft per month when I was there last winter and are in a great hurricane hole. There's also virtually no tide in that part of the Indian River. Titusville City Marina had similar pricing and if you don't mind being on a mooring ball very reasonable rates.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:18   #3

Boat: Pearson 323

I did the same thing in 2017 and used Ft. Pierce Inlet Marina. I forget the rates, but they were competitive for the area and lower then the marinas to the south. It has a Resident Manager and reasonably close to everything you will need. I grew up in Florida and parts of Ft. Pierce reminds me of 'old Florida circa 1960s
mjscottinnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:56   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

try " Green Cove Springs" marina on the St. Johns River. They have docks and an anchorage. It has a large liveaboard community and a large DIY yard.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:32   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
try " Green Cove Springs" marina on the St. Johns River. They have docks and an anchorage. It has a large liveaboard community and a large DIY yard.
I would chew off my arm first (and yes I've been there)

Sometimes saving $50 is way too expensive a price to pay
Old 11-08-2019, 07:53   #6
Marine Service Provider

GCS is definitely...er..." rustic"...but has " ambience"....
Old 11-08-2019, 08:02   #7

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31

I bought my boat in Ortega River Marina just upriver from Jacksonville last summer and spent the summer there. I didn’t know how much I should appreciate it until I began experiencing other marinas after I left.

Floating docks. Fairly new facilities in great condition, and good hurricane protection. Good group of people working and docking there. Nice amenities nearby. Grocery, restaurants, boatyards, West Marine, banks, and a great book store all within walking distance. Good sailmaker next door.
Salty Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 08:54   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Possum View Post
. Nice amenities nearby. Grocery, restaurants, boatyards, West Marine, banks, and a great book store all within walking distance. Good sailmaker next door.
Yes that's a good location because of what's around. There is more than just the price to consider in marina choice if you are a carless cruiser. You have to be able to get to "stuff". No "nice clubhouse" of "clean showers" makes up for not being to go to the grocery store etc. after just a short time.

Take GCS marina, it's a 2 mile walk to the nearest supplies, which is a gas station type store. Is that worth saving $50?
Old 11-08-2019, 17:21   #9

Boat: Outbound 44

You might also consider Brunswick in southern Georgia. You can fly out of Jacksonville.
Old 11-08-2019, 17:36   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:

Green Cove has lost a lot of their dock space due to collapse of the end of the long concrete pier. The remaining slips are generally booked up.

I would NOT recommend the moorings unless they upgrade them. I launched there after doing the bottom a few months ago and checked out the moorings. All the chains I checked were at least 25% wasted, some links I found 75% wasted. This was the south mooring field. At that time there were none available in the north field so I didn't get a chance to inspect any so they could possibly be better.

Also the concrete mooring anchors are pretty small and I wouldn't really trust them in a storm for more than a 30-35' boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 17:58   #11
Marine Service Provider

yes, against all odds.....I have to agree with Brunswick. Just across the border of Fla/Ga.
It supports a very large liveaboard community, with all the trimmings, showers, Laundromat, weekend cookouts, etc....
The marina is long, alongside a canal, so parking is usually very close to your boat. Even by bicycle, everything is close by.
Even has a travel lift and haulout yard on the north end.
Area restaurants/ grocery stores, etc, are all nearby.
Brunswick is a small Georgia Town, with all the trimmings.
I have not stayed there, but bought my Beneteau from that location, so had occasion to go there several (many) times.
I'm told that it is considered a " hurricane hole", considering it's location.
It's a favorite hangout for " liveaboards".
Access to the Atlantic is via a well marked deep ship channel.
Many sailors consider " Brunswick" as there "go to" place, during hurricane season.
All told, from what I've seen and know about the place,it is a place I can highly recommend. Probably one of the most popular liveaboard marina's I know.
I don't know what the dock rate rates are, but I do know, the place is usually 100% filled up.

Kudo's to the person that suggested it.
Old 11-08-2019, 19:22   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

BLM
https://brunswicklandingmarina.com
A consideration of Brunswick is I don’t believe depth is a problem at all, I don’t remember depth honestly, just knew it wasn’t even close to an issue for me, even at low tide, however Ortega landing for example it is, more than 6’ and getting in is going to be a real problem and most slips aren’t very deep either.
Coming in and out of Ortega at low tide and even with a 5’ draft you have to be careful.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 03:17   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

According to Active Captain, BLM’s dockage rates average price per day: $1.75 USD per foot (7/15/2019).
See also ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...se-162164.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 19:09   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
You might also consider Brunswick in southern Georgia. You can fly out of Jacksonville.
Quote:
yes, against all odds.....I have to agree with Brunswick. Just across the border of Fla/Ga.
It supports a very large liveaboard community, with all the trimmings, showers, Laundromat, weekend cookouts, etc....
The marina is long, alongside a canal, so parking is usually very close to your boat. Even by bicycle, everything is close by.
Even has a travel lift and haulout yard on the north end.
Area restaurants/ grocery stores, etc, are all nearby.
Brunswick is a small Georgia Town, with all the trimmings.
I have not stayed there, but bought my Beneteau from that location, so had occasion to go there several (many) times.
I'm told that it is considered a " hurricane hole", considering it's location.
It's a favorite hangout for " liveaboards".
Access to the Atlantic is via a well marked deep ship channel.
Many sailors consider " Brunswick" as there "go to" place, during hurricane season.
All told, from what I've seen and know about the place,it is a place I can highly recommend. Probably one of the most popular liveaboard marina's I know.
I don't know what the dock rate rates are, but I do know, the place is usually 100% filled up.

Kudo's to the person that suggested it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
BLM
https://brunswicklandingmarina.com
A consideration of Brunswick is I don’t believe depth is a problem at all, I don’t remember depth honestly, just knew it wasn’t even close to an issue for me, even at low tide, however Ortega landing for example it is, more than 6’ and getting in is going to be a real problem and most slips aren’t very deep either.
Coming in and out of Ortega at low tide and even with a 5’ draft you have to be careful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
According to Active Captain, BLM’s dockage rates average price per day: $1.75 USD per foot (7/15/2019).[/url]
Hey hey, we'd love to have you at Brunswick Landing Marina We're currently 100% booked for hurricane season but we do occasionally have cancellations so if you get on the waiting list you have a good chance of getting in.

We're also allllllmost finished with the DNR permitting process to build a wave attenuator just south of Dock 1 which is out only vulnerable side, seeing as we're protected on the other three sides by land. We hope to start construction next month and be finished by the beginning of the year.

Our current rates monthly rates start at $14.50/foot/month and daily rates are $1.75/foot/day.
michaeltorras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2019, 22:52   #15

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltorras View Post
Hey hey, we'd love to have you at Brunswick Landing Marina We're currently 100% booked for hurricane season but we do occasionally have cancellations so if you get on the waiting list you have a good chance of getting in.

FYI, the OP is looking for winter moorage.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, marinas