Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-08-2014, 15:37   #1
Wanderer

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Used to be San Francisco Bay, now PNW, soon to be the Caribbean
Boat: Jeanneau 43 DS and soon Leopard 45
Chartering in Panama (or Costa Rica or Columbia)

Ahoy sailors,

I am planning a visit to Costa Rica at the end of January for about 10 days and would like to see if there are options of chartering a boat over there or in Panama or in Columbia. I have some flexibility in where I fly out of, I can make it out of Costa Rica, Panama or Columbia if any of those destinations could potentially work. I am based in San Francisco Bay Area and have a Catalina 320 here. I consider myself an experienced sailor and unless I will be fighting 16 ft waves, I think I will be ok.

I am trying to figure out if sailing is a good option when I am there or I should simply make a non-sailing itinerary with hiking, snorkeling etc ;-)

I will appreciate if anyone has recommendations on the topic, positive or negative, opinions welcome.

Some questions:

- Is late December (after 20th) a good time to sail in the region?
- Is the area safe to charter and sail around?
- Can I find (reasonably priced) boats to charter at the 32-34ft range? We will be either 2 or 4 on the boat. I obviously don't need (nor do I want) a captain on the boat.
- Where should I look at for chartering? Is Panama the best bet? (I have some flexibility in my itinerary in terms of where where I fly in and out of)
- Is there any way whatsoever to pick up the boat in one location and drop to another?

I am not sure if the sailing community here would know much about chartering but I thought I should at least ask :-)

Thanks in advance for your input.
Tenedos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:37   #2
Sailbeat | #1 Yacht Charter Portal

Send a message via Skype™ to SailBeat
Re: Chartering in Panama (or Costa Rica or Columbia)

Ahoy,

I have personally never chartered in any of those locations so I was going to leave it for someone else to answer you but as no one yet I'll chip in.

In my database I only have 1 yachts available in panama and its a bit on the expensive side

SAILBEAT - Yacht Listings

However a quick google search shows a few companies that are available https://www.google.co.uk/search?clie...Beqq8wevrIGYDw

Most of them our crewed, however but I'm sure you'll be able to sneak in a bareboat trip. If you have any questions please feel free to private message me.

All the best

Tags
charter, columbia, Costa Rica, Panama