Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2018, 21:02   #1

Boat: 5788 Bayliner
Seattle to LA

Hello all new to this forum
I just bought a 59’ pilot house boat in Seattle and my son and I would like to bring it down in 1st of April. I have lots of blue water experience, but not what
The coast of Washington, Oregon, and Northern Cal have. Ok I have looked up and down the internet for story’s and books on the voyage. Anyone out there want to help me or give me advice.
Thanks in advance Mr Newport
Mr Newport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2018, 21:49   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Seattle to LA

Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF!

You have come to the right place.
The topic of "going from Seattle to LA" has been discussed before, so there are many tips and suggestions in discussion threads in the CF Archives.

Here is a current topic with some tips, though not as many as some previous threads.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...st-195924.html

Good luck and Bon Voyage!
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 04:21   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

Another useful search term might be ' Puget sound to San francisco' . Make sure you use the forum,'s Google search not the default search
Old 14-01-2018, 20:32   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I fished the North Pacific. I do the Neah Bay to Astoria yearly. Other than winter, short jumps can be made between ports. In nice weather, all the bars can be crossed easily. High tide, slack water gives the best ride across a bar. Low tide, ebb is the worst. Plan your trips, adjust your speed as needed, and watch the weather. Sometimes it's safer at sea than trying to cross a bar. Get the harbor phone numbers where you might stop. Makes it easy, they can tell you where to tie and give local advice.
Make sure your fuel is clean and you have spare filters. Check fuel prices. Some places have 5-10% discounts for over 100 gallons and cash/debit cards. Ask locals, there may be a better place to fuel than Seattle.
After Neah Bay, the next all weather place is Cresent City, and then Point Reyes. Every port in between can be bad or closed in a storm. I cross the Columbia River bar often and it's not as bad as its reputation (most of the time). It seems like I only cross with Small Craft warnings or better, and it's no problem (at high tide/slack water). Your boat should be big enough to cross most bars as long as they're open. Read up on bar crossings.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 20:47   #5

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

Go way out, like 110 nm out,and let her fly. I did Seattle-San Diego in 6.5 days. Worst spot is Pt Conception.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 21:05   #6

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
Go way out, like 110 nm out,and let her fly. I did Seattle-San Diego in 6.5 days. Worst spot is Pt Conception.
That's an impressive run averaging 8kts and 192 miles per day. Must be a fast boat.
Old 15-01-2018, 17:19   #7

Boat: 5788 Bayliner

Well I’m going to cruises about 10-12 mph til I get past o
Oregon than can bump it up to 15-17 depending on seas
Boat carries 800 gals and at 10-12 they say mile per gal I’ll know that before I leave. I’m leaving the boat up there for 2 months, and fill the boat out
Thanks all
Mr Newport is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seattle