Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-12-2017, 07:58   #1

Boat: Lagoon 40
Marco Island to Marathon

We are working our way from Pensacola to the Bahamas, going coastal. Looking for advice on the leg from Marco to Marathon. A few questions as follows:

1. We would like to break this leg up and anchor. Thinking of Little Shark River. Does anyone know if there is land/beach there where we can let Salty dog off to stretch his legs? Or is this just mangroves?

2. Any update on Marathon post hurricane?

3. What’s the best way out to head to the Bahamas? We’ve heard stories of sunken boats under bridges. Can anyone confirm a clear pass?

Thanks for any help
Neil
S/V Midnight Sun II
Home
https://midnightsunii.blogspot.com/
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 09:34   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Marco Island to Marathon

From just south of Marcoto Marathon is Everglades National Park.

You cannot land any dogs in the park for many valid reasons.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 10:15   #3

Boat: temporarily boatless...

It's a long haul (I've done it) but you also have the option of stopping at the nearest marina en route, which is on Fiesta Key. As I recall, it took us about 14 or 15 hours. At least you can walk your dog there and get a good night's sleep. Then continue on later through Channel 5 and, if you like, straight to the Bahamas (a similarly long trip) or stop at any of the marinas between Marathon and Key Largo (depth permitting; you don't say what your draft is). Then make a shorter crossing.

I haven't heard of obstructions in Channel 5 but I guess you could check the Local Notices or call the Coast Guard.

Oete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 11:19   #4

Boat: Gallart 13.50 MS

Just made that run back at Thanksgiving. It's a bit of a haul, but not bad really. We started late afternoon so we would hit Marathon as the sun came up, turns out we went too fast and still went under the bridge in the dark. Don't do that, the other side is a crab trap mine field. Other than that it wasn't really a problem for us even with a 6 foot draft. The 55ft mast fit under the bridge easily as well.

Since we went in the dark we never looked for, or saw, an anchorage before getting under the bridge. We refueled at Marathon Marina, be careful on approach, keep close to markers, the shoaling is bad.
Corvidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 19:50   #5

As many here have said, the best run from Marco is straight to Marathon or the keys. Shark river is great, but no good landings, just lots of mangroves IMHO.
We always travel the outside, passing under the 5mile bridge due to a 6' draft and 55'mast height. The outside has great wind. The best route to the Bahamas imho is from marathon to bimini. You ride the stream and can really sail if winds are favorable. It's about 110nm. The other good option is to sail to Rodriguez key and anchor, then day sail to Bimini.
Hope that helps!
nicholasd97330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 20:09   #6

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

I’ve witnessed dogs taken ashore at the Little Shark River anchorage. Either to the small patch of sand to the north or a short dinghy ride to a beach to the south.

It is stone crab season, Florida Bay will be a minefield. Much easier to navigate during daylight.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 04:05   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
I’ve witnessed dogs taken ashore at the Little Shark River anchorage. Either to the small patch of sand to the north or a short dinghy ride to a beach to the south.

It is stone crab season, Florida Bay will be a minefield. Much easier to navigate during daylight.

PLEASE do not encourage people to break park rules

The Everglades ecosystem is fragile and has enough threats without passing boaters walking dogs on the beaches. One also risks a dog vs. raccoon encounter (I will bet on the ENP raccoon), snakes, huge wild hogs, alligators, crocodiles and depending on the size of the dog some large eagles.

While people may walk dogs on those beaches, as a responsible pet owner we hope you don’t.

To the OP- please don’t walk your dog in ENP.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Old 21-12-2017, 05:57   #8

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

We've done that route twice. The first time, we anchored like you are planning. No easy place to go ashore, the mosquitoes were horrendous, and the depths were a challenge in some areas. The second time, we just went straight through. We highly recommend the straight through approach.

Time it so you arrive in Marathon about 8:00 to 9:00 am. That way, if you're a little early, you're still arriving in daylight.

At 9:00 am, the Boot Key Harbor residents run a very well organized cruiser net radio broadcast on VHF 68. It has lots of great local information.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 06:47   #9

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
PLEASE do not encourage people to break park rules

The Everglades ecosystem is fragile and has enough threats without passing boaters walking dogs on the beaches. One also risks a dog vs. raccoon encounter (I will bet on the ENP raccoon), snakes, huge wild hogs, alligators, crocodiles and depending on the size of the dog some large eagles.

While people may walk dogs on those beaches, as a responsible pet owner we hope you don’t.

To the OP- please don’t walk your dog in ENP.
Fair enough. I won’t tell what I’ve witnessed if you stop telling fantasies about the risks. Alligator on salt water beach? Eagles grabbing dogs? Really? I’ve walked some of those beaches, have you?
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 07:29   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
Fair enough. I won’t tell what I’ve witnessed if you stop telling fantasies about the risks. Alligator on salt water beach? Eagles grabbing dogs? Really? I’ve walked some of those beaches, have you?

Yes having kayaked the entire park and camped at EVERY camp site, having raced through the park during kayak races in the dark ( 5 times from Tampa - Key Largo) I have seen more of the park than most.

I have seen gators from “The Nightmare” waterway come out the Broad River on an outgoing tide and swim back in when the tide goes slack.

I have seen large birds prey on animals the size of a small toy dog— i.e teacup variants of certain breeds.

ENP is very different when you have paddled all of it, raced through it and lead kayak trips in it.

Tags
arc