Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-06-2017, 08:03   #1

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Seattle to Hawaii in August

I'm about 99% committed to taking my old Crowther tri to Hawaii this August and am looking for advice on anything that is relevant.

I sold my Crowther Buccaneer 34 tri a year ago to a lady from Europe. She is an accomplished sailor and teaches sailing over there. The boat was left here in the Sound at my old marina and she even let me use it while she was away. I'm not that experienced but I do know how to sail that boat and the boat is a West Systems epoxy built with epoxy beams and is solid. I had it at 15.5 knots but I'm sure she will go faster. We are working on all the last minute details which are many as you can imagine.

I have been reading up on the Pacific High and the route from here. I know the high can move around but generally speaking once we are in the winds where is the likely landfall? It seems like it will be more south than north Hawaii. Yup, I know the islands are a big area but we don't have an exact destination so we can be fluid. On the other hand it would be nice to have a slip somewhere if we can get one. She does have a buddy who does routing for racers and he will be sending us advice by sat phone but I want to get some info prior to leaving. And we know about the possibility of hurricanes.

And the other question. Can we find a slip and where's the best place for that? It has a 24' beam. Or is that unobtanium? Or where are the good anchoring spots without coral. She wants to continue on to the south Pacific but I will fly back at some point.

I appreciate all your feedback. Be gentle.

Bobber
Old 28-06-2017, 09:34   #2

Boat: Currently boatless
Re: Seattle to Hawaii in August

I was going to suggest the seminars for the Vic-Maui but you are in between years (2016 last one, 2018 next one). Vic-Maui Yacht Race.
Livia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 09:36   #3

For weather, check out the services available through saildocs. Home Page

You can get grib files, navtex and weatherfax images using your sat phone and email.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 10:06   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
but generally speaking once we are in the winds where is the likely landfall? It seems like it will be more south than north Hawaii.>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I might be misreading this, but you have a sailboat that has a rudder and sails which you can steer, right? There are races that go from SF to Hawaii. One race goes to one island, the other race goes to another island. They both start from the same place. So it seems to me that between the mainland and Hawaii one can make the CHOICE of where to land.

Sorry for the sarcasm if I misread your post.

There are many sailors from your neck of the woods who sail down to SF or LA and then head for the islands. As previously noted, there are many races that have websites with course guidance as well as records of courses from their tracking devices.

Good luck, safe journey.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2017, 13:14   #5

Boat: Tartan T4400

What island is your friend on? That is where I would head for. Slips are hard to get on all island and with that beam it will be even more difficult. This year is Transpac but it starts in early July.
Old 28-06-2017, 14:37   #6

Right from the start, make as much Westing as you think you need and then make some more before you fall off and scream on down to Hawaii. If on the odd chance you get Hurricane warnings, heave-to for a couple of days to let it pass, or worse case would be to turn back north for a few days. I suspect that finding a slip or decent anchorage will be more problematic than the trip down. Have a good time. Grant
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 13:32   #7

Boat: bare boat charter world wide

Yep,

A slip is going to be problematic, but perhaps Oahu might have something...

on Kauai.......most transient boats anchor and dink ashore.

Nawiliwili Harbor all year, and is pretty well protected. There is a small marina and also cruise ship warfs and dockage for container ships and tugs with barges.
( SE shore, south of the airport just a few minutes and next to Kalapaki Beach and the Lihue Marriot.

Hanalei Bay : Summer months.....by Oct, Nov, Dec, the large surf can come rolling in and the boats anchored there will head down to Nawiliwili. Surf can get up to monster size 40 to 50 feet. The usually return about May to the North Shore.

No slips or docks, but in the good weather months, the north shore is Tahiti Beautiful, very peaceful, and lush beauty all around . Nothing like honolulu or waikiki.

Big Island: You might also check on Honokuhau Harbor on Hawaii Island. ( not far from Kona ). They have a marina . No clue as to dockage for a catamaran. But, you can start researching the different islands on you own as well.

September remember.
bvisailing32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 13:39   #8

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Right from the start, make as much Westing as you think you need and then make some more before you fall off and scream on down to Hawaii. If on the odd chance you get Hurricane warnings, heave-to for a couple of days to let it pass, or worse case would be to turn back north for a few days. I suspect that finding a slip or decent anchorage will be more problematic than the trip down. Have a good time. Grant
I don't understand that advice. Isn't that just going to put him in the middle of the Pacific High? If you look at the race tracks from the Vic-Maui race they head south down the coast before turning west.
Old 29-06-2017, 15:05   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Right from the start, make as much Westing as you think you need and then make some more before you fall off and scream on down to Hawaii.
I don't understand that advice. Isn't that just going to put him in the middle of the Pacific High? If you look at the race tracks from the Vic-Maui race they head south down the coast before turning west.
Paul, you are correct. Most years you head generally SSW from the Strait of Juan de Fuca (or from San Francisco), until you get under the SW ridge of the Pacific High. Then you head WSW straight for Hawaii, aiming perhaps a little to the north. When you get close, you jibe to the south and run the last 50 or 100 miles until landfall. You want to avoid sailing into the High, and heading west too soon will usually result in being stalled in light winds.

But, some years the Pacific High has been further north than is typical, and low-pressure systems to the south create a real no-mans-land of light and contrary winds along the southeast portion of this traditional route. In 2012 we ended up sailing well north of the great-circle route between San Francisco and Hawaii, and diving south very late in the race. 2014 was similar, but not as extreme a departure from the norm as was the case in 2012.

So you really need to look at the conditions and forecasts before you choose your route. On our passages, we check the forecasts at least twice a day and route ourselves accordingly.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 06:55   #10

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Thanks everyone. I had heard about going west a bit to get in the winds but now SSW seems the way to go. And thanks for the tips on anchorages and facilities. I forgot about using the rudder and sails, thanks for that tip LOL.
I'll make some inquiries on slips and see what is available. If you have any other advice send it in.
Thanks
Old 04-07-2017, 02:48   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

You wrote: "She wants to continue on to the south Pacific but I will fly back at some point."

It sounds like you need a place more than a few days which greatly limits choices.

Focus on Sand Island in Honolulu.

You are in an industrial zone directly under the flight path, however more affordable.

Width there not a problem.

Big Island Kona is no go zone. you cannot anchor anywhere and be on the boat overnight on Big Island unless fishing.
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:30   #12

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

We have neighbors doing that jaunt as we speak.
They've sailed all over the Pacific in recent years.
The track from Hawaii to Alaska started in New Zealand.

http://www.pangolin.co.nz/xtras/yotr...hp?ident=KF7AZ

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:47   #13

Maybe google the Victoria-Maui Race and see what turns up.
It's August you are going so have a good weather link... as it's hurricane season, although they don't often go toward Hawaii , they do... I think twice last year.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 12:52   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Thanks everyone. I had heard about going west a bit to get in the winds but now SSW seems the way to go.
Well, you typically want to head offshore a bit to get to what are called the "synoptic" winds. Leaving San Francisco, the close-in wind often dies after sunset, so we try to get perhaps 50 miles offshore before nightfall. On my boat we usually don't make it in time and sometimes end up bobbing near the Farallon Islands waiting for the wind to pick up again. Once we get into the steady winds, we generally head SSW until we make the turn towards Hawaii.

But this is condition and location dependent. I would look at the local forecasts, and study the historical Vic-Maui race tracks before deciding on a strategy. And realize that your strategy may very well have to change once you get on the water.

Here are some good Vic-Maui links:
http://www.vicmaui.org/resources/arc...02006-2014.pdf

Vic-Maui Yacht Race - Daily Position Reports and Tracks
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hawaii, seattle