Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2017, 01:08   #1

San Diego to Miami on a 22' to 25'??? July 2017

I'm throwing this out there to test the waters: Starting the 1st of july, I have 3 months or more off, and will like to do a trip from San Diego to Miami thru Panama canal. I have traveled around the world and in my experience is more fun doing it low budget way.

So will like to apply the same here. I can probably purchase a boat that is Ok for coastal sailing, but most likely will be something in the 22' to 25' range and be turn key ready. And the plan will be to take it easy and stop at every port and spend as much or little time as desire.

Although I have owned small sailboats in the past, (8' - 22') my sailing experience is minimal and will probably require a partner with far more experience than I to make this happen.

So? who wants to be part of this adventure? Just pay your expenses and I'll buy the equipment.

Or if you already have a boat and are planing a trip and need a partner, here I am to tag a long and help with the expenses.

I'm a 36 year old down to earth type of guy who is looking to check a bucket list item.

Who is in? : )
jdr1033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:49   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: San Diego to Miami on a 22' to 25'??? July 2017

You might be crazy. I don't think you could do it such a small boat in that amount of time. That voyage took us 18 months.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:04   #3

Boat: Catalina 320

I don't believe a boat that size will be allowed thru the canal under it's own power.
j. Minimum Full Ahead Speed: The ACP has determined that the minimum full

ahead speed required in order to complete transit in standard times is 8 knots.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:06   #4

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr1033 View Post
...I can probably purchase a boat that is Ok for coastal sailing, but most likely will be something in the 22' to 25' range and be turn key ready...
Ridiculous.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 08:24   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
I don't believe a boat that size will be allowed thru the canal under it's own power.

That or you spend a rather expensive night in the lake. (Many years ago) ( rules may have changed.
Better to pay to have it shipped overland. From one side to the other ( small boat) if your bucket list item is to do a canal transit. Sail down to avalon and volinteer as crew to go thru and have your lil boat shipped to pick it up on the east side then sail on.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:48   #6

Not sure why you want to go to Miami....? But if there is a good reason, buy that 22 ft boat, launch it in Texas and sail to Florida. No point in going down the coast and thru the canal, not to mention how rough a trip it can be going east from the canal.
My advice, launch the boat in Mexico at the northern end of the Sea of Cortez and explore that. I spent 1.5 years there and it wasn't enough.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:28   #7

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Too many miles, too little boat. Buy in Gulf coast Mexico or Texas and follow the coast. Also please be aware that very few boats are really ready to sail away and you lack the expertise to determine which ones are. I dislike being a wet blanket but a cruise of thousands of miles in a new to you boat is a lousy way to learn. The odds on a successful voyage are slim to none.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:40   #8

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Ridiculous.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:40   #9

Boat: 19' Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr1033 View Post
I'm throwing this out there to test the waters: Starting the 1st of july, I have 3 months or more off, and will like to do a trip from San Diego to Miami thru Panama canal. I have traveled around the world and in my experience is more fun doing it low budget way.

So will like to apply the same here. I can probably purchase a boat that is Ok for coastal sailing, but most likely will be something in the 22' to 25' range and be turn key ready. And the plan will be to take it easy and stop at every port and spend as much or little time as desire.

Although I have owned small sailboats in the past, (8' - 22') my sailing experience is minimal and will probably require a partner with far more experience than I to make this happen.

So? who wants to be part of this adventure? Just pay your expenses and I'll buy the equipment.

Or if you already have a boat and are planing a trip and need a partner, here I am to tag a long and help with the expenses.

I'm a 36 year old down to earth type of guy who is looking to check a bucket list item.

Who is in? : )

You're crazy! SD to Panama might be doable in a 25 ft boat, but it would take a month. Getting through the canal would be difficult and you would have to hire a pilot, big expense. sailing from Panama to Miami would be god awful. Buy the boat and trail it to Mismi, then sail the Keys or over to the Bahamas
robmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:51   #10

Boat: Hunter 37C/Helms27

Some posts are not worth commenting and this is one of them.
Pilotocopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:00   #11

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

You have a great idea, but I respectfully suggest you tweak the details. As you state, you don't have a lot of experience, and thats why you posted here.

1) Plan your trip to always be heading downwind. Get yourself a copy of Jimmy Cornell's World Sailing Routes, and he does a great job of laying it all out...where to go and when the wind blows. Think of it as the difference of an all uphill trip, or all downhill...of course you want to go downhill (downwind) and just have fun.

2) Avoid the Panama Canal. Why try to go someplace that is definitely not a good place for a small sailboat. Use your small size to your advantage by being able to get into smaller/shallower anchorages...where would that be do you think?

3) Get a safe/solid boat. If you are going blue water, you need a bluewater boat. There has been much written about this already, no need to rehash it here. If the boat sails well, that is well...IMHO...everything. All the other gear you can bring or buy. A small boat doesn't have much space, so you might start making your list and even getting started accumulating gear right now....origo 1500 stove, handheld VHF, Navionics on an ipad with an indestructable case, avon redcrest, garmin etrex 10, LED flashlights, plastimo Iris 50 compass....you could aquire and learn all these devices long before you hit the water and ease your learning curve considerably.

4) Save up your money. Money makes problems go away.

I think you have a good starting point. As a friendly suggestion, you might consider something small thats already in St Martin, and start having fun and exploring right away as you make your way back to the states.

Here's a quick list of boats to consider:

Albin Vega 27
Contessa 26
Bayfield 29
Bristol 29

And there are plenty more. Most of these boats would be around 40 years old, so would be very affordable...under $10,000.

If you are a real masochist, get yourself a Tanzer 22...so much fun!
Heres your boat for free: http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/otta...ationFlag=true

Best of luck to you, and please keep us updated as your adventure progresses.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:18   #12

Boat: Catalina 30

never smoke pot and post on the forum at the same time
idylours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:26   #13

Boat: Scout 30

Do you seriously think you can buy a boat, fit it out & learn to sail in a month? It usually takes a lot longer than that just to find the right boat. Repairs & modifications can take months to years when preparing for a trip like this which is also how long it will take you to learn to make this kind of trip if you're really dedicated.

If you're actually serious about this and not a troll I recommend getting a small good quality trailerable sailboat & doing some beach/camp cruising.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:37   #14

Boat: 37 Tayana Pilot House

lmao, never smoke pot and watch to many u tube sail blogs with click bait of pretty girls sailing around the world, not a care, perfect weather.

It could be done, and you could find people to join you, not sure how long they would last.

Just MY. 2 cents,,, crew on a boat,, help with everything, learn as much as you can, then go from there. Either you will forever have the boat disease, as I do, or you will run away and never look back.
Cheers

Pop's
navysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 11:04   #15

Boat: Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post

be best to go around cape horn and not pay the canal fee anyway

Tags
miami, san diego