Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.60 average. Display Modes
Old 28-02-2008, 21:08   #106

Boat: Hanse 348
Gideon,

I have been looking seriously at the new lagoon 380 and leapord/moorings 40, 1160 and possibly manta. Your new boat seems to be very interesting. I wonder if I could get some answers to the following questions:

1. Where does it now stand (feb 28th) regarding production and delivery? I notice that I cannot find it on the web?
2. Assuming sailing in 10-15kts, how does the fastcat compare to the other models (speedwise)? Your estimates would be much better than my guesses.
3. how does your electric propulsion compare with the new lagoon's electric motors. I have read that they do not work well in practise.
4. earlier on in this thread, you had an estimated price point of around 400k E, which currently is 600k $. Is this still the price range?

Thanks, Scott
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2008, 21:17   #107

I like the additional photos!! Thanks.. the more the better!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 00:14   #108
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FastCat 445 Green Motion
Send a message via Skype™ to fastcat435
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbinbi View Post
Gideon,

I have been looking seriously at the new lagoon 380 and leapord/moorings 40, 1160 and possibly manta. Your new boat seems to be very interesting. I wonder if I could get some answers to the following questions:

1. Where does it now stand (feb 28th) regarding production and delivery? I notice that I cannot find it on the web?
2. Assuming sailing in 10-15kts, how does the FastCat compare to the other models (speed wise)? Your estimates would be much better than my guesses.
3. how does your electric propulsion compare with the new lagoon's electric motors. I have read that they do not work well in practice.
4. earlier on in this thread, you had an estimated price point of around 400k E, which currently is 600k $. Is this still the price range?

Thanks, Scott
Good Morning Scott

You cannot find it on the web because the design is not finalized yet.
yes the price was around the euro 400.000,00 , this was originally with 2 X 20 hp diesels , we have however decided to only sell the 405 that will have a actual length of 41 ft 4 in with the "Green Motion" Motogens because of the cleaner quieter and totally vibration free functioning of this system.
A added advantage is that the sailing performance improves dramatically , specifically with low wind conditions. The price will be closer to 450.000 but with generator and "green motion" , hard top carbon fiber Bimini ,Gps chart plotter , autopilot and a generous sailing wardrobe.
We expect to deliver the first 405 in the middle of 2009 and the first 5 units have been sold .
The first available 405 will be for delivery January 2010
Performance will be incomparable to the mentioned other cats we are less than half the weight with 1100 squire feet of sail area, build in resin infused epoxy and spray painted with Awl Grip paint The weight estimate is well below 4000 kilos or 8800 lbs ready to sail and including the generator/green motion.
We expect 9 knots with 10 knots of wind speed and 12 to 13 knots with 15 knots of wind speed at 90 degrees app.
If you want we can keep you posted with our monthly news letter both fort the "Green Motion" system and the FastCat developments
just sent a mail to info@africancats.com with the request

Greetings
Gideon

p.s. once we have made a contract the price is firm unlike most yacht builders where you get cost of inflation etc on top of the original agreed price.
fastcat435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:02   #109

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Hey there Gideon,
I'm rather new to this forum and this is my first post.
I've been reading all of your posts involving your progress developing your FastCat's and the "green-motion" drive system. What a great job!
I do believe that my wife and kids (currently one @ almost 3, and the other @ 7 months) will be in the market for a Cat in 2 to 5 years from now.
I've been dreaming of Gunboats and CatAlibi's for months now, but after reading more and more about your philosophies and the revolutionary green motion drive/charge system... well lets say you are topping the current list!
I'm not sure what size cat we will need, but I hope to be capable to comfortably cruise the world in safety and style.
I'd love to see more and more pictures and details both here and on your website.
I'd also love to know when and where you will be so I can hopefully see one of your boats first hand. Any plans on sailing to the Carribean? When? Maybe we could charter a boat around the same time and meet up for an afternoon? Or any where in the US for that matter.
When the time is right, I hope the old lady will let me dip into the bank account and purchase one of your fantastic vessels! The fact that we live off the grid using solar and wind power right now makes your "GreenMotion" thing that much more desirable to me, but most importantly to my wife!
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:01   #110
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbri View Post
Hey there Gideon,
I'm rather new to this forum and this is my first post.
I've been reading all of your posts involving your progress developing your FastCat's and the "green-motion" drive system. What a great job!
I do believe that my wife and kids (currently one @ almost 3, and the other @ 7 months) will be in the market for a Cat in 2 to 5 years from now.
I've been dreaming of Gunboats and CatAlibi's for months now, but after reading more and more about your philosophies and the revolutionary green motion drive/charge system... well lets say you are topping the current list!
I'm not sure what size cat we will need, but I hope to be capable to comfortably cruise the world in safety and style.
I'd love to see more and more pictures and details both here and on your website.
I'd also love to know when and where you will be so I can hopefully see one of your boats first hand. Any plans on sailing to the Carribean? When? Maybe we could charter a boat around the same time and meet up for an afternoon? Or any where in the US for that matter.
When the time is right, I hope the old lady will let me dip into the bank account and purchase one of your fantastic vessels! The fact that we live off the grid using solar and wind power right now makes your "GreenMotion" thing that much more desirable to me, but most importantly to my wife!
Hallo Solarbri

A 40 to 48 ft cat would be ideal to live on with 4 people and the occasional guests .
With small children you should make sure that whatever cat or yacht you purchase that it absolutely as children safe as possible and people friendly.
You should be able to close of the rear cockpit with canvas completely in order to create that extra living space in case of poor weather or If you want a drink outside and have the children inside the saloon to do their games .
make sure that the yacht is designed for single handed because you or "your" young" lady will be with the kids often so you or she needs to be able to sail the boat . I have brought up 3 kids on our yachts and it can work really well but these conditions apply .
Comfortable
Spacious
Safe
Very kid friendly and a
Pure single handed sailor
And for you a fast performer.
Yes I have plans to sail to the Caribbean in November December in order to do the final test on the Green Motion system
We are almost done with the 3000 hour duration test , one week to go and have been improving the system as we went along.
The FastCat 455 Green Motion is halfway being build, hull, deck and bulkheads are ready and the deck will be installed in 2 weeks after arrival of the 2 generators of 13 KW
We expect to launch her end the of June and will first do extensive testing here in the South Africa Waters
She will have 1260 watts of solar power installed and 1 Air breeze masthead mounted wind generator, if we ad the possible 6000 watts of generation threw its electric Motors we should be able to sail without using much fossil fuels en route ,
The generators are build in because sailing threw the doldrums can be a hassle without any wind.
We are installing 2 to minimize fossil fuel consumption and make a better weight distribution.
If we have the motors running at 30 % power and the battery's are less than 50 % the gen set number 1 will start up , if we raise the power level to around 70 % the second gen set will automatically kick in. when not necessary they will also automatically stop when the battery level is at 90 % .

If you want to receive newsletter on our range of FastCats
from 36 up to 58 feet let us know and we also send out a Green Motion newsletter.
Just inform us at
info@africancats.com

Greetings
Old 06-03-2008, 08:16   #111

Boat: currently a power boat :(
Any updates for the 405 design?
Old 06-03-2008, 08:25   #112
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Not yet Blue Skye we are presently moving to our brand new factory in the Durban Area and that is consuming most of our time with the testing of Green Motion still going ahead .We have finalized the length and width of the boat and the draft and the rest is now being worked on in 3 d
The length will be 12.19 meter and 6.99 width 1.05 draft with mini keels.
She will only be build with the Green Motion system and will have a carbon fiber Bimini
The 2 Queen sized beds are 5 ft 6 in wide and 7 ft long She will have a plumb bow with a very fine entry and a sacrificial nose just as the 355, 455 and the 555.
If you have given your e mail address to info@africancats.com we will keep you updated

Greetings
Gideon

The rest is being worked out as we speak
Old 11-03-2008, 16:22   #113

Boat: Custom 36' folding sailing cat
Hey Gideon,
What do you think about the Cat Alibi's location of their tender?
I think putting it up under the nacel looks pretty hot! It's also got to help keep the center of gravity more centered.
Also what's up with your cabin window designs? On your website, the pictures of all your boats have a one piece wrap around window (like Fountaine Pajot and Cat Alibi, which I think the most attractive) yet your test boats have multiple segmented windows. What will the final designs look like?
solarbri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 18:50   #114

Boat: Jarcat 5, 5m, Mandy
Overall, I think it is well thought out. I was wondering if you had considered a free standing rig, either a balestrom or biplane rig s on some of the Schionnings,
Robert
Robertcateran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 13:51   #115
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarbri View Post
Hey Gideon,
What do you think about the Cat Alibi's location of their tender?
I think putting it up under the nacel looks pretty hot! It's also got to help keep the center of gravity more centered.
Also what's up with your cabin window designs? On your website, the pictures of all your boats have a one piece wrap around window (like Fountaine Pajot and Cat Alibi, which I think the most attractive) yet your test boats have multiple segmented windows. What will the final designs look like?
Hallo Solarbri

This was in our original design 6 years ago but it takes away to much needed bridgedeck clearance and will not work well so we dropped that part of our design , instead we made a rigid inflatable with a total weight of 57 lbs for 11 ft
All final production boats will have wraparound windows as shown below in a poor photoshopped version ( I am no expert at this )

Greetings

Gideon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	455 new.JPG
Views:	409
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	2951  
Old 12-03-2008, 17:36   #116

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
Hallo Solarbri

All final production boats will have wraparound windows
The wrap around windows are sexier.

What happens when part is damaged? Replacement?

What were your thoughts on this?
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 04:50   #117
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
The wrap around windows are sexier.

What happens when part is damaged? Replacement?

What were your thoughts on this?
Hallo Therapy, nice to hear from you , We use 9.5 mm Lexan Marguard , almost indestructable but in case it gets damaged it can be replaced without a problem. The advantages of Marguard are probabably known to you , it filters 90 % of the uv and if rays out so the cat stays cooler , it is self cleaning and it is coated with a anti scratch coating. The weight is 60 % lower than glass and that for us was the convincing factor to change on the fastcat 455 and all other models

Greetings
Gideon
Old 18-03-2008, 03:46   #118

Generators 455

Dear Gideon,

In your post #110 you mention that the Fastcat 455 green motion will have 2 13kW generators. Can you please explain this increase in installed power? In your newsletter from august it is said that there will be three options for generators; 10kW, 13kW and 17kW.
From what I've gathered you're rather weight senstive for your cats and the 13kW units are 240kgs. How does this fit in the overall design?

Greetings,
Bardo
maribar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 05:30   #119
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcat435 View Post
We use 9.5 mm Lexan Marguard , almost indestructable but in case it gets damaged it can be replaced without a problem. The advantages of Marguard are probabably known to you , it filters 90 % of the uv and if rays out so the cat stays cooler , it is self cleaning and it is coated with a anti scratch coating. The weight is 60 % lower than glass and that for us was the convincing factor to change on the fastcat 455 and all other models
Greetings
Gideon
"Margard" is a Silicone surface treatment, applied to Lexan.
I recall reading an independent engineering paper, that favourably reported on it’s toughness (scratch-resistant) and anti-yellowing properties.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2008, 05:31   #120
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by maribar View Post
Dear Gideon,

In your post #110 you mention that the Fastcat 455 green motion will have 2 13kW generators. Can you please explain this increase in installed power? In your newsletter from august it is said that there will be three options for generators; 10kW, 13kW and 17kW.
From what I've gathered you're rather weight senstive for your cats and the 13kW units are 240kgs. How does this fit in the overall design?

Greetings,
Bardo
\
Hallo Bardo

the reason for me to choose 2 x 13 Kw generators are numerous
1. redundancy ( we can charge and have full power at the same time)
2. this is a test Cat and I am trying to find out to make this cat as efficient as possible , these generators do not only supply10 Kw 144 volts but also 3 Kw 24 volts for our service pack so cooking will be electric.
3.These generators will be autostart and autostop and are set to different
voltages so they will run modular and only at the same time if full power and charging the battery,s is needed. It is an overkill but has to do with the experimental nature of this first full electric model.
We will at times switch of one gen set or both all for testing purposes
It depend very much on how the boat will be used .
If I where to choose one for myself I would choose the 11 kw version and just one and this would be combined with 24 V 3 Kw as well.
With 11 Kw we can run the boat @ 60 % power for a long period at 3 liters per hour giving us a speed of 7.2 knots
That is plenty for me Full speed can be obtained for a maximum of 3 hours giving us 9 knots plus.

Tags
fastcat