Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2017, 23:30   #1

Boat: Allied 39
Fuel Filter Funnel? Better test them occasionally

We are one of the boats that are nuts about prefiltering our fuel before we put it in the 30gal tank. We have a Racor 500 with a water alarm before the engine..

There has not been a time in the past 30 years that we did not prefilter our fuel at first using a Baja filter and then about 12 years ago changing it for a West marine fuel filter funnel

Today after trying to help a neighbor filter some bad fuel I noticed what I thought was water coming thru the WM Fuel Filter funnel. WTF! So I stopped, cleaned the filter with a paper towel and tested it by pouring a large glass of water into the funnel. After it reached 50% full water did indeed start coming thru the filter. I have only used a paper towel to wipe out the inside of the filter after use.

Have you tested your fuel filter funnel for excluding water ?

Safe sailing

Chuck
Tahiti
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2017, 05:12   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Re: Fuel Filter Funnel? Better test them occasionally

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouliha View Post
We are one of the boats that are nuts about prefiltering our fuel before we put it in the 30gal tank. We have a Racor 500 with a water alarm before the engine..

There has not been a time in the past 30 years that we did not prefilter our fuel at first using a Baja filter and then about 12 years ago changing it for a West marine fuel filter funnel

Today after trying to help a neighbor filter some bad fuel I noticed what I thought was water coming thru the WM Fuel Filter funnel. WTF! So I stopped, cleaned the filter with a paper towel and tested it by pouring a large glass of water into the funnel. After it reached 50% full water did indeed start coming thru the filter. I have only used a paper towel to wipe out the inside of the filter after use.

Have you tested your fuel filter funnel for excluding water ?

Safe sailing

Chuck
Tahiti
Chuck--

FYI West Marine has discontinued carrying this unit although it remains available from several other vendors thus far.

Secondly, by now you have likely lost or forgotten the instructions that accompanied the funnels. The instructions did note that the screen elements are (or were) coated with Teflon which played a roll in the water blocking capacity of the screens and that the screen should not be wiped down. The inner sides of the funnel (but not the screens) can be wiped off but the unit itself should be inverted and allowed to dry out via evaporation. Given your description, it sounds as if your funnel is not longer usable. A replacement version of the funnel can be found at: https://jet.com/product/detail/8d2fd...FdgKgQodkEICYQ
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:58   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have always operated under the theory that anything that filters at a high rate, does not filter very well.
Biggest advantage I see of these type of devices is that with them you see the fuel, and can maybe see water or something else and have a chance to react before you finish filling the tank.
I know people that won't fill the boat direct, they fill 5 gl jugs, let them sit and later fill the boat, may not be a bad idea.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:56   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

What was the brand name of the original funnel filter that separated the water? Not the West Marine one but the top notch original one? Anyone remember?
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:15   #5

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
What was the brand name of the original funnel filter that separated the water? Not the West Marine one but the top notch original one? Anyone remember?
That would be a Baha filter. It came in 2 sizes with various screen meshes. Sometimes you can find used ones in consignment stores.

For the plastic ones like WM, Mr. Funnel sells various sizes.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:23   #6

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Chuck--

FYI West Marine has discontinued carrying this unit although it remains available from several other vendors thus far.

Secondly, by now you have likely lost or forgotten the instructions that accompanied the funnels. The instructions did note that the screen elements are (or were) coated with Teflon which played a roll in the water blocking capacity of the screens and that the screen should not be wiped down. The inner sides of the funnel (but not the screens) can be wiped off but the unit itself should be inverted and allowed to dry out via evaporation. Given your description, it sounds as if your funnel is not longer usable. A replacement version of the funnel can be found at: https://jet.com/product/detail/8d2fd...FdgKgQodkEICYQ
You are correct i have long tossed the directions on cleaning and most likely the reason it leaks is because of me wiping it down. Not sure when all the crap is stuck to the screen what you are suppose to do but for sure will be more aware the next round. Thanks for the link.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:31   #7

Boat: Sabre 38

Quote:
You are correct i have long tossed the directions on cleaning and most likely the reason it leaks is because of me wiping it down. Not sure when all the crap is stuck to the screen what you are suppose to do but for sure will be more aware the next round. Thanks for the link.
This thread reminded me that I needed to buy one of these, so I did. A Mr. Filter. Their website (an easy google) has cleaning instructions. They are easy: Don't wipe and don't wash with detergent. Simply rinse with water and poor into another container to properly dispose of (assuming the same place as your old oil). Let air dry. Pretty cool. Even neater that it can be used for both diesel and gas.

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:12   #8

Boat: Island Packet 32

What's wrong with a Baja filter and why would you stop using it? I've never felt the need, but I have one that came with my boat. It's a big stainless steel affair, with multiple compartmented screens and weighs a good five pounds. I'm guessing it was expensive.
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:23   #9

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

What ever happened to Baja filters, no longer made? I still have from the late 80's, and use a Baja Filter, and it is amazing what it filters out, even here in the States, at high volume fuel docks.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:26   #10

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

I'm still using a Baja filter I bought at Downwind Marine in San Diego 30 years ago. It must be working fine as the only time I've had fuel problems was when I accidently switched to a tank with 20 year old Diesel in it. Still it ran for five hours before the five micron Racor plugged up. As I was coming into a tight harbour at the time it got kinda hairy - but all worked out in the end.

I blow the Baja out with an airbase probably a couple of times a year - and I change both the Racor and engine fuel filters once a year just for the beck of it. I'd love to put a duel Racor in but space is just too tight.

You can NEVER over-filter your fuel!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:48   #11

https://www.asap-supplies.com/catalo...+filter+funnel
KRMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:51   #12

I see that CF won't let me paste a link for some reason. If anyone wants find these guys just google: asap supplies and then on their site search for: fuel filter funnel.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:58   #13

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
... Not sure when all the crap is stuck to the screen what you are suppose to do but for sure will be more aware the next round...
I have a small squeeze bottle of mineral spirits in our engine room locker. I hold the filter sideways and give the screen a few shots with that which seems to wash all the junk off. Then wipe down the interior of the filter with a piece of oil absorbent pad. For really persistent junk--usually bits of rust or dirt, I give the thing a short blast through the "straw" of a pressurized can of WD-40. That always seems to work and doesn't have an adverse effect on the screen or, later, fuel passing through it.

FWIW...

PS: The pressurized can of WD-40 can also be used to clean the glass bowl on a Racor fuel filter, by passing the straw between the vanes of the vortex generator and blasting the thing. Doing that is easier than trying to remove and later refit the bowl.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:16   #14

Sorry my posting doesn't seem to work - operator error!

I wrote a post earlier asking what size fuel filter funnel people use. Whilst I'd like to not have to store to large a funnel I don't want one that's flow rate is too low and I get hassle from fuel dock operators as it's taking to long and they keep having to shut off the fuel hose.

Any thoughts?
Old 07-03-2017, 10:53   #15
CLOD

Boat: none

I got a Mr Filter just a couple of months ago and found that seawater goes right through it (I've never wiped off the screen etc). Far as I'm concerned it good for being a filter that has a screen to catch dirt. But for getting water out I feel it is a bust!

Tags
fuel, fuel filter, fun