Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2017, 17:23   #1
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig
Radio Stn License

So I'm applying for my Ship Radio Station License and I'm not exactly sure what they're asking for, or how to answer, in one section.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...-Y1MaILAYo1EQ7
Any help here?

Pls & Tks

Ron
Old 19-01-2017, 17:38   #2

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41
Re: Radio Stn License

I just got my station license in the last couple of months. pretty simple form to fill out. what are you looking for assistance on? The link you included doesn't work.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 18:12   #3

Oh that's odd, it works for me. Anyway, the section after "Particulars of Equipment" is a section "Additional Frequencies (Other than Marine Mobile)"

In it there are three fields
"Other Frequencies (ie aeronautical, or land mobile)",
"Communications With" and
"Bandwidth & Emission"

The equipment I have listed are my VHF, my radar and my Icom SSB

Thanks
Old 19-01-2017, 19:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Rondo Normal View Post
Oh that's odd, it works for me. Anyway, the section after "Particulars of Equipment" is a section "Additional Frequencies (Other than Marine Mobile)"

In it there are three fields
"Other Frequencies (ie aeronautical, or land mobile)",
"Communications With" and
"Bandwidth & Emission"

The equipment I have listed are my VHF, my radar and my Icom SSB

Thanks
If you don't have any equipment that falls under that category, just leave it blank. Once you have your station license apply for your MMSI, you can do it by email and the turn-around time is super fast ( like 3-5 days!)
Old 19-01-2017, 19:11   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
If you don't have any equipment that falls under that category, just leave it blank. Once you have your station license apply for your MMSI, you can do it by email and the turn-around time is super fast ( like 3-5 days!)
Yes but doesn't the SSB fall under that category? SSB is not marine mobile, or is it?
Old 19-01-2017, 19:16   #6

Quote:
Yes but doesn't the SSB fall under that category? SSB is not marine mobile, or is it?

I would put SSB in section 4 in the MF/HF Tranceivers section
Old 19-01-2017, 19:19   #7

Yeah... maybe I'm over-thinking this then. lol
Old 21-01-2017, 08:28   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I've had to call the FCC before to ask questions. It's a pretty simple deal.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2017, 10:23   #9

Hehehe, Yeah sometimes I envy you Americans. Your Government is light years ahead of Canada when it comes to... everything(?).

But being in Canada it's Industry Canada that I'm dealing with. The issue has been solved. I left the section blank and in the email the application was attached to, expressed my confusion. The answer came back that is was okay to leave it blank.

Check this out...
Further to the Cdn Gov issue: The application process for my ship stn license and mmsi number started last March. At the time, the only way to apply online was to fill out the .pdf applications, take screen shots of the completed forms, stitch them together in a graphics program and then attach them to an email. Which I did.

Then of course I got busy with other things and forgot all about it. October came along and I suddenly remembered, so emailed them. No answer.

Then of course I got busy with other things and forgot all about it - yes I do that a lot. January came along and I suddenly remembered, so emailed them again saying, "could somebody please respond!!!".

Surprisingly, I got a response almost immediately which included the mmsi app that I had submitted (but not the ship stn app) and an apology. He said he had tried to call me but couldn't get through. He said he needed clarification on two sections of the mmsi app. The first thing was the question asking if there was an inmarsat mobile terminal onboard. The second was that I had allegedly made up my own call sign and entered it on the form.
I pointed out to him that if he looked at the form he would see that both those sections were CORRECT. There was no call sign and I did answer NO to the inmarsat question.

Next, apparently my ship stn app never made it through so he directed me to the new online, electronic application for boats IN A TOTALLY DIFFERENT CLASSIFICATION THAN MINE. I corrected him. He gave me a second link to the new online, electronic and UNAVAILABLE form. I asked him to email it to me. He emails it to me and it is a edittable .pdf form. Perfect! I fill it out and... it won't attach to my email. In order to attach it to my email, I had to... you guessed it; take screen shots of the the two pages, and stitch them together in a graphics program and then email them to him.

So ya, it's all done and only took about ten months - assuming of course that the processing time of two weeks actually comes to pass.

I love Canada

Cheers guys, thanks for your thoughts!
Old 21-01-2017, 17:54   #10

Quote:
Hehehe, Yeah sometimes I envy you Americans. Your Government is light years ahead of Canada when it comes to... everything(?).

But being in Canada it's Industry Canada that I'm dealing with. The issue has been solved. I left the section blank and in the email the application was attached to, expressed my confusion. The answer came back that is was okay to leave it blank.

Check this out...
Further to the Cdn Gov issue: The application process for my ship stn license and mmsi number started last March. At the time, the only way to apply online was to fill out the .pdf applications, take screen shots of the completed forms, stitch them together in a graphics program and then attach them to an email. Which I did.

Then of course I got busy with other things and forgot all about it. October came along and I suddenly remembered, so emailed them. No answer.

Then of course I got busy with other things and forgot all about it - yes I do that a lot. January came along and I suddenly remembered, so emailed them again saying, "could somebody please respond!!!".

Surprisingly, I got a response almost immediately which included the mmsi app that I had submitted (but not the ship stn app) and an apology. He said he had tried to call me but couldn't get through. He said he needed clarification on two sections of the mmsi app. The first thing was the question asking if there was an inmarsat mobile terminal onboard. The second was that I had allegedly made up my own call sign and entered it on the form.
I pointed out to him that if he looked at the form he would see that both those sections were CORRECT. There was no call sign and I did answer NO to the inmarsat question.

Next, apparently my ship stn app never made it through so he directed me to the new online, electronic application for boats IN A TOTALLY DIFFERENT CLASSIFICATION THAN MINE. I corrected him. He gave me a second link to the new online, electronic and UNAVAILABLE form. I asked him to email it to me. He emails it to me and it is a edittable .pdf form. Perfect! I fill it out and... it won't attach to my email. In order to attach it to my email, I had to... you guessed it; take screen shots of the the two pages, and stitch them together in a graphics program and then email them to him.

So ya, it's all done and only took about ten months - assuming of course that the processing time of two weeks actually comes to pass.

I love Canada

Cheers guys, thanks for your thoughts!

Actually the process for getting your station license is very simple, just fill out the PDF, print it to PDF and email it in. got my station license in a couple of weeks (including making payment), same for the MMSI (which only took 3 days). The Canadian system is very efficient and inexpensive!

Of course you do have to pay for your license annually!
Old 21-01-2017, 18:03   #11

When I started last March, they were in the process of implementing the new system, so that was part of the problem, but the rest of it was quite astounding. The fact that he said I had filled in a call sign when I hadn't and the saying that I failed to answer a question when I quite plainly had, is not imho opinion a very efficient system.
Glad you had no problems but there is no plausible excuse for what I just went through.
Old 21-01-2017, 18:11   #12

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I guess they didn't realize who you were.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license, radio