Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2016, 11:15   #1

Boat: O’Day Daysailer II, 17'
Funnel Fuel Filter

I have read several postings about purchasing diesel containing water. Brazil and Mexico were mentioned. I was wondering how common this problem is, what countries to watch out for. Also, it was mentioned that diesel with water in it does not smell like diesel. I assume this is because of biological growths. I was wondering if this diesel will work alright in an engine.
westwinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 11:45   #2

Boat: Vancouver 27
Re: Funnel Fuel Filter

Wherever you are, if you have the option, look for fuel stops that seem more frequented or with more turnover in their supply. But if you're going to cruise off the beaten path and plan to rely on your engine, it's easy to completely mitigate the risks with either a baja filter and/or a fuel polishing system. Contaminated fuel wont harm the engine as long as you have proper filtration, but you'll burn thru filters and experience unreliable engine usage when filters clog (and they always clog at the worst possible time).
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 12:27   #3

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I NEVER put diesel in my boat from a pump. It goes in clear containers (old vegetable oil containers) first. After I'm sure it has no water, I will put in my boat. Its very clear if there is water as it will sit on the bottom with the diesel on top. I have found water in my fuel twice here in the Caribbean.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 12:44   #4

Boat: Catalina 30

Models

I have the F15 version of this. Filters and water separates at 15gpm.
Old 21-12-2016, 12:57   #5

"I NEVER put diesel in my boat from a pump. It goes in clear containers (old vegetable oil containers) first."

Good tip but not very practical if you are taking on 500 plus liters.

I have used the Fuel separation funnel F8 a number of times when my dinghy fuel tank got water in it (don't ask) and works very well to separate the good fuel from the bad seawater.

Would be slow to fill main diesel tank through it though.

PaulinOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 13:03   #6

I don't have a filter funnel but if you have not tried a jiggle hose you should give it a try I am able to see in the bottom of my cans if there is anything suspect at the bottom I tilt the can so as not to pick up the dregs
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2016, 13:04   #7

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinOz View Post
"I NEVER put diesel in my boat from a pump. It goes in clear containers (old vegetable oil containers) first."

Good tip but not very practical if you are taking on 500 plus liters.

I have used the Fuel separation funnel F8 a number of times when my dinghy fuel tank got water in it (don't ask) and works very well to separate the good fuel from the bad seawater.

Would be slow to fill main diesel tank through it though.
See this is why I have a sailboat.. I can't remember the last time I took more than 80L.. Hell, not sure I can remember the last time I took more than 60L....

I run a water separating filter on my dinghy inlet line. God damn, just 2 weeks ago I found 20% of the fuel (petrol) I purchased at a BIG Marina was water.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 08:47   #8
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

my pemex station , barra de navidad, has no water in it -- however, once in the tanks, used , then sat, there is water in tanks.
i have been advised by a fellow cruiser here in mazatlan to check my fill cap for tiny holes at either end of key slot. (mfg defect, compounded by age and probable corrosion)
it seems fuel goes into tanks clear, clean and without water , if it is from pemex. then as heavy rains tend to get everywhere and inside everything, the water came into their tanks and mine via these holes. currently they(my friends) sillycomb their fuel fill top so NO water enters when the heavy tropical rains fall and accumulate, and they have experienced no more of that which i have experienced more than once , and of which others have written--- heavy accumulation of water in the fuel tanks.
i emptied 30 liters of yukky looking cloudy water and 40 liters of weak smelling varnishy fuel from my foul tank.
i plan on replacement of my fuel fill cap. sight unseen. then i will then inspect it and fotograf it to verify this.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 09:35   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We are sail with 420 gallons split in 5 tanks. Filter funnels are way too slow. Only the original BAHA filter has a large Enough flow to be acceptable. We also have a FRANZ filter polishing system with 1 micron filtration and water removal. Note that old O-rings at your deck port are often the number one cause of water ingress. I always grease the O-ring.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 09:59   #10
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
See this is why I have a sailboat.. I can't remember the last time I took more than 80L.. Hell, not sure I can remember the last time I took more than 60L....

I run a water separating filter on my dinghy inlet line. God damn, just 2 weeks ago I found 20% of the fuel (petrol) I purchased at a BIG Marina was water.
It was not water. That was e10 phase separation. A much better bet is that you had a few grams of water in your tank. Google it.

The cure is not a separating filter, the cure is to keep the vent closed when it is not actually running, and to make sure water dos not splash on it underway.

Tags
fuel, fuel filter, fun