Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2016, 19:15   #1

Boat: Wildcat 35
Fl to Grand Bahama on Catamaran

Looking for an experienced catamaran sailor to cross the gulfstream. Must be experienced with cats in the gulfstream.
If we don't make this a smooth crossing for my wife it will be my last sail.
Compensation will given based on proven experience.
If interested, pm me with your experience and references. Please also include your compensation desires.
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 20:45   #2

Re: Fl to Grand Bahama on Catamaran

When do you want to go?
Captandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:52   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

There is a lot at stake here. Summertime there are days you can skip stones out there, not so during the winter.

Aside from The Almighty no one can guarantee a smooth crossing this time of year. Best is for a calm 2-3 days and scoot over. But the wait may only add to the anxiety. If the GS is the issue, why not hire a crew person and fly her over? Sounds rash, but why risk something you guys enjoy for one crossing.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 15:42   #4

Boat: Watkins 29

I've made the crossing many times but always in monohull boats. I've lived in South Florida all my life and sailed here just as long. My advice...wait till spring. Winter can produce extremely tall, very steep seas.
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:34   #5

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Reach out to Scott Watts--he's on here as Xsboats. Very experienced with multihulls and an excellent instructor as well as licensed 100 ton captain
Boat_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:08   #6

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidLGCrawford View Post
Looking for an experienced catamaran sailor to cross the gulfstream. Must be experienced with cats in the gulfstream.
If we don't make this a smooth crossing for my wife it will be my last sail.
Compensation will given based on proven experience.
If interested, pm me with your experience and references. Please also include your compensation desires.
I don't want to sound negative because I feel your pain but if getting caught in bad weather will end your sailing days you might as well hang it up. Crossing the Gulfstream is not a big deal as long as you wait for a weather window.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:33   #7

Boat: Island Packet 32

Professional Yacht and Ocean Deliveries | Parks Marine Services Blain Parks is very experienced delivery captain, with half a million mile under his keel in all kinds of vessels. He also exudes confidence, is a great cook and a really nice guy. Tell him your issue and he'll make it happen. I also know that he had a couple of cancelations is currently free for Dec and Jan. But as stated, this time of year the stream is untenable in a northern blow and then all mixed up until it calms down which may be just in time for the next norther. But he'll know...he's your man.
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:40   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Ship the wife by air. Enjoy the trip. Let the wife enjoy daysails and nights at the dock. Saves wear and tear on the wifey.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:41   #9

Boat: Boatless

Seriously it's not a big deal. One very important factor, wait for southerly to southwesterly.

Do that and you'll be fine. On a cat you can leave early AM and get into West End late afternoon if leaving from Palm Beach. Bimini same if leaving from Ft Laud.

Do be afraid to motor if that's what it takes to get you across quick!

Enjoy :-)
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:18   #10

Boat: magna 43

go down to the Cape of Florida ,south of Miami. Wait for winds out or the south so the stream settles down. Go 90 degrees straight to Bimini, The shortest route. Leave early 2 or 3 am and arrive morning. Done it dozens of times. Sunrise over Bimini beautiful. Go south of inlet and then head north into the harbor. Avoid the rocks on the west side of the channel. Customs and immigration are friendly several good places for Lunch
david knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:47   #11

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
Ship the wife by air. Enjoy the trip. Let the wife enjoy daysails and nights at the dock. Saves wear and tear on the wifey.
+1. That's the best tactic to ensure a comfortable ride.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:54   #12

Take her out for an expensive dinner the night before, a few glasses of wine, possibly a mild sedative....and she wakes up at Bimini and well rested!! A great crossing!!
Hoosiersailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 14:37   #13
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Fl to Grand Bahama on Catamaran

As has been said before.. just wait for a S'ly window.. its only a short hop across.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 19:49   #14

Boat: Wildcat 35

Sorry for the delay in getting back, we've been busy getting things done here. (We will respond to the PMs shortly as well)

We have a 35' Wildcat with just about every system upgraded in the last year. We are currently sitting in Titusville and will be heading south this week. We expect to arrive in Boca Raton on Saturday and the plan is to depart from there heading to West End once we have had 3 days of south winds.
We plan on leaving early morning (but I was thinking in the 5am to 6 range, not 2 to 3 range).
DavidLGCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 15:40   #15

Your wife's comfort level and confidence will elevate in direct proportion to her skipper hubby's. If I were she I'd be thrilled to fly and have you make the crossing with an experienced seaman so that your confidence and skill level ramps up for the next go.
HalfHitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran