Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2016, 13:25   #1

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Dripless Seals - Choices

I don't want this to become a traditional stuffing box vs. dripless shaft seal discussion. I have decided I want to pull the trigger and swap out my old stuffing box assembly with a new dripless shaft seal. I have done some research on the different brands and it seems the top three are:

-PSS
-Lasdrop
-Tides Marine

Is this just like anchors, where people ask if they should get a Rocna or Mantus? If so, I'll probably just go with the Lasdrop as it seems to me the best put together in terms of quality and simplicity, with no bellows. Am I on the right track here? I'm just looking for a gentle shove in the right direction. Thanks so much for any help.

David
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 13:46   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49
Re: Dripless Seals - Choices

Cannot comment on anything but the PSS . . I am on my second one (supposed to change around 6 years).

Very happy with it. Just make sure you purchase the shaft collar or use a t-bolt style hose clamp so the ring (secured by 2 tiny screws at 90 degrees to each other) does not slip.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 19:11   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

PSS for the last six years...no problems.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 19:28   #4

Boat: Catalina 380

PSS installed in 2010. No problems. Definitely install a shaft collar behind the rotating part of the seal. As mentioned in an earlier post I would not rely on the set screws to hold the seal in place.
Catalina 380 #67
TxCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 19:28   #5

Boat: C&C 110

PSS was my choice. Installed in 1999 on a previous boat. Changed the bellows once since then but not because of a failure. Sold the boat last year. No problems whatsoever.
replusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 19:40   #6

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Teflon packing and grease in the traditional stuffing box. Six years without a drip.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 21:48   #7

Boat: Cascade 42 Maria Victoria

Installed a PSS this summer, only problem is I can not figure out why it took me 16 years to install one.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
pdxsailordiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 06:12   #8

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Most of the PSS seals I have used have sprayed a fine mist of salt around the engineroom, maybe they needed a good clean and lapping? Ive had a good run from the simple volvo seal, and the similar radice shaft seal, both using multiple lip seals.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 24-09-2016, 07:17   #9

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

I installed the volvo dripless seal a couple of years ago. Nearly maintenance free, you only have to put in a teaspoon of grease once a year and not forget to purge air after a haul-out. Volvo manual states to replace every 5 or 6 years. As the manufacturer they are of course over cautious. I had a neighbour that replaced his after 18 years, although it was still perfectly functional. You will have a bone dry hull. As far as I know, the Volvo is used by many fishing vessels, simple reliable solution. Look into the Volvo seal, you will not regret it.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 07:39   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
I installed the volvo dripless seal a couple of years ago. Nearly maintenance free, you only have to put in a teaspoon of grease once a year and not forget to purge air after a haul-out. Volvo manual states to replace every 5 or 6 years. As the manufacturer they are of course over cautious. I had a neighbour that replaced his after 18 years, although it was still perfectly functional. You will have a bone dry hull. As far as I know, the Volvo is used by many fishing vessels, simple reliable solution. Look into the Volvo seal, you will not regret it.
Replaced my volvo seal last year after 7 years of use because we had the shaft out. For once volvo have a great bit of kit at a really good price. and as Sailor med says, just a dollop of grease once a year.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 07:50   #11

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
+1 on every point made
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 08:08   #12

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Thank you to everyone so far- seems like PSS is the standard, at least in U.S.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 09:57   #13

Boatyards love PSS seals because they get us so much maintenance work! (Cleaning rotors, replacing/resetting bellows tension, etc). Personally I've owned several of them and hate them with a passion. Unless you have rock solid shaft alignment and accurate installation of the bellows on the log tube they will leak after a year or so.

My personal favorite is the Tides Marine unit. Had mine for 7+ years and not needed to do anything to it whatsoever.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 09:59   #14

I had a lastdrop shaftseal, after 1 year my shaft was so scored I had to replace it. I've now had a PSS shaftseal for 10 years with no problems, just be sure to use the water injection even though the literature suggests it isn't necessary on a sailboat. Also ditto the shaft collar or hose clamps on the shaft.
bharney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 10:10   #15

PSS...just replaced it with another after 15 years...
sailcarib is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
seals