Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2015, 11:38   #16
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Re: Hunter 36 Seaworthiness

I can't compare with newer models, since I haven't spent any time on one. These old Cherubini's might be built better, but I certainly can't back that up with any facts. Nothing fancy on these boats (the 36 or 37C). Typical rig, with backstay, comfortable inside, smallish cockpit, decent storage, 80 gallons of water, 30 gallons of diesel. Toe rail bolted through deck to hull. Lead ballast.

We don't cross oceans, and never will. We have however got 4 gulf stream crossings, and have at times beat this boat up pretty good with no resulting damage. No oil canning ever.

Just hauled out and did a bottom job. Ready for another couple years of cruising.

Click image for larger version

Name:	finished.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	101240

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:44   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

Yeah the old Hunter 36's are completely different from the new ones, different designer, built and rigged totally differently, so you have to specify which one you are looking at.

I have a 1980 Hunter 36 and love it. The worst thing about it is the look on peoples faces when you tell them you have a hunter... (also the tiny cockpit)

It's pretty standard boat for its age, though faster than it looks. A lot depends on the condition it's in.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:49   #18
cruiser

I gave the OP a positive recommendation, because his expectations for the Hunter are realistic. He's basically going to be doing some fun island hopping trips and coastal cruising. I'd probably choose a similar boat for the job, oh wait.... I did when we purchased the hunter 450.

The reason I recommended looking at a 40 footer, is we have some friends I met in Sardinia doing the same thing on a Hunter 40. They're cruising around the Med having a great time, plenty of room for the two of them on the boat. The only extra things they probably wish to have is a watermaker and small generator. We parted ways last fall when I left for the USA and they headed up towards Southern France, hoping to be in port before any storms hit.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:51   #19

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
I can't compare with newer models, since I haven't spent any time on one. These old Cherubini's might be built better, but I certainly can't back that up with any facts. Nothing fancy on these boats (the 36 or 37C). Typical rig, with backstay, comfortable inside, smallish cockpit, decent storage, 80 gallons of water, 30 gallons of diesel. Toe rail bolted through deck to hull. Lead ballast.

We don't cross oceans, and never will. We have however got 4 gulf stream crossings, and have at times beat this boat up pretty good with no resulting damage. No oil canning ever.

Just hauled out and did a bottom job. Ready for another couple years of cruising.

Attachment 101240

Ralph
Thanks Ralph. Looks pretty squared away to me. Maybe nothing fancy, but they do seem to have attracted a following.

Btw, your outboard looks exactly like my old Merc 4-hp two-smoker. Love that thing! Can't seem to kill it (unlike all my others), and it seems to hold up better to the ethanol.

Dan
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:28   #20

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
So your answer to the OP is....yes....or no? Kinda hard to tell.

Ralph
"For your purposes, it will be a fine boat."

Or, just "Yes."

Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 16:54   #21

Boat: H36

Sailed my 2004 H36 for 11 years and still love it, mostly singlehanded.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:08   #22

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
As a kid, i grew up sailing a hunter 32 from chesapeake bay to maine, routinely. I bought a 1990 hunter legend 37.5 3 seasons ago, and love her! I also plan to sail from chesapeake on down to the carribean (we love the BVI). I have sailed many different types of production boats vis a vis chartering, and always come back to hunters. The one thing I have experienced in my boat is to reef early. If I am beating and the heel gets close to 20 degrees, I reef, regardless of windspeed. If the wind is over 15 knots, i put in the first reef, more for the gusts. If it gets over 20, second reef. That said, she excels in light air. When most others are at the dock due to light air, we can go sailing. I have a family of 5, and two dogs. We all fit nicely. We go out for two weeks at a time, and live, eat and sleep just fine. Been in three good storms with her, with no issues. Balancing her is most important, though, I have found. she can have some weather helm if not appropriately balanced.

I hope that helps! Good luck!!

Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 06:32   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
As a kid, i grew up sailing a hunter 32 from chesapeake bay to maine, routinely. I bought a 1990 hunter legend 37.5 3 seasons ago, and love her! I also plan to sail from chesapeake on down to the carribean (we love the BVI). I have sailed many different types of production boats vis a vis chartering, and always come back to hunters. The one thing I have experienced in my boat is to reef early. If I am beating and the heel gets close to 20 degrees, I reef, regardless of windspeed. If the wind is over 15 knots, i put in the first reef, more for the gusts. If it gets over 20, second reef. That said, she excels in light air. When most others are at the dock due to light air, we can go sailing. I have a family of 5, and two dogs. We all fit nicely. We go out for two weeks at a time, and live, eat and sleep just fine. Been in three good storms with her, with no issues. Balancing her is most important, though, I have found. she can have some weather helm if not appropriately balanced.

I hope that helps! Good luck!!

Ben
A great reality check with good perspective.
paulanthony is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter