Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2017, 22:27   #1

Boat: 1985 Hershine 48' YachtFish
Send a message via AIM to Splash of Lime
Cruising WA to San Diego Calif. 41' CHB 81

Weather. Wa has some really good weather and so does Oregon. Depends on what kind of weather you want. Rough, nice, warm? well until I got around the corner from Oregon, it was pretty good stuff. i have been (and in) a lot of bars in WA, Oregon, but when i went into Newport (Yaquina Bay) around 6:30 am the other day it was the worst bar crossing I have ever had. The Coast Guard did say it was a not typical weather pattern.. Wow, that was really something. Really good as it did call on my experience. A lot of the bars were closed due to the weather. Have you been into Umpqua River, Marina. Awesome. WA and Oregon and all of the Pacific Northwest just awesome.
Have a good one.
Captain Chuck
Splash of Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:44   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Cruising WA to San Diego Calif. 41' CHB 81

Hi, Chuck,

"Any landing you walk away from is a good one." I'm sure it's been said by many. And it's just as true for boats as planes, imho.

Ann
Old 10-06-2017, 00:32   #3

Boat: Rawson 30 PH

Are you solo?
joel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:01   #4

I once had a secretary whose husband captained the largest fishing boat in Half Moon Bay. He and some captain buddies delivered a 100'+ boat down the coast and said they actually surfed down swells. That's some big seas!
Guess it depends on a lot of things, not the least of which is what's going on 1000s of miles out to the north west in the Pacific....
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:04   #5

Yep, I am alone on this one. And yes I have had some big surf,, much more then I would like. It has not been a nice ride yet. I have had about 2-3 fulls and a couple part days that were nice, but it has only been a month so far... So I am harbor hopping. I did one all-niter, that was enough. I still have to sleep. Once I get around the corner of Point Conception I will feel like I am home. I am hoping that will be the beginning of the fun stuff.
Captain Chuck out.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:07   #6

It is supposed to blow here today/night -Tomorrow 20-30kts. But i think I can get out on Tues and Wed look good. I am in Monterey.
Old 11-06-2017, 12:02   #7

Here is 25 cents worth of advice. Go talk to the local fish boats about Pfeiffer Cove.(SP?). It is just a few miles under Point Sur. If the wind is out of the NW it is a good safe anchorage, but time it so there is high enough sun to get a hook down between the kelp beds. I have used it going South and going North. From there, plan your departure to anchor at San Simeon in the daylight. Bouy your hook. I watched a crew cut an anchor line just so they could keep up with their Buddy Boat. From there it is a short run to Morro Bay which if it has a swell running can be closed out If Morro Bay is closed out, go on to Port San Luis. You might want to leave Port San Luis in the dark hours to get around Conception before the afternoon winds kick up. Coho anchorage is just past Conception and a calm place to recover. A Coast Pilot and good government charts (not Charlies Charts) will get you there, but talking to fishermen will get you some good advice. No over-nighters makes the coastal trip much nicer. Have a good time. ____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 23:45   #8

Boat: Rawson 30 PH

How far have you made it?
joel383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 00:44   #9

Yep, I am alone on this. But bad weather allows me to go play some poker. Nice little hit tonight pays for some fuel. . . . plus a hit on my boat which I have for sale. So all n all a good day. It should get better soon. Have a good weekend. . .

Capt Chuck.

Tags
cal, cruising, san diego