Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2019, 13:25   #16

Boat: 38 roberts ketch
Re: Lack of Wind in Phuket

Combine the average lack of wind with the preponderance of invisible bombies and the large fleet of unpredictable fishing vessels – not my idea of a good sailing area...
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 14:11   #17

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
Combine the average lack of wind with the preponderance of invisible bombies and the large fleet of unpredictable fishing vessels – not my idea of a good sailing area...
Plenty of that in Australia if you get out more.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 18:37   #18

We were up there for about 18months back in 2005 just after the tsunami. Yes there is a lack of wind but it is not that bad but I guess it depends on how well your boat sails in light winds. I remember thinking how useless our 2 wind generators were the whole time though. However don't let it put you off. It generally is a beautiful place esp Phang nga bay and there is some wind most days. Such an easy and cheap place to be for a long stop.

Andrew
elandra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2019, 18:42   #19

The other thing. How are those averages worked out? If over a 24 hr period it means little as at night out is often windless which would affect the figures. Lies, damn lies and statistics!
elandra65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 02:25   #20

I livaboard a 40ft catamaran in Phuket and have just had 2 five day trips to nearby islands. About 9-10 knot winds until around 11.30 am then it dies - every day, almost on the dot so we used engines most of the time. Lovely surroundings though!
Tamvong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 04:20   #21

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2 owners version #331

I have been sailing around the Krabi.and Phuket area for a few years on my.sailboat.and I often have to motorsail. It is not always wind strengh but wind.direction with so.many islands/mountain the wind would switch directions and strengh. It.is a nice area to island hop so many places to go.and see. The same.thing happened to me.sailing around Philippines . In Thailand most sailing cruisers sail in the winter months and go back to there home in the summer.
Thailand is.a great place to travel and experience but if you are.looking to sail 100% and if you are.on a short schedule. not so easy.
rickwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 07:42   #22

Thank you for the informative responses.
Old 15-02-2019, 09:55   #23

Boat: Taswell 49' All Season Pilothouse
Send a message via Skype™ to Brendan

I sailed there twice, most recently a year ago December. Wind was disappointing, but the rest was fantastic. Try to get a boat with a Watermaker, not many places to top up water tanks. Made a short YouTube video, you can watch here: https://youtu.be/zFjAPDsRZI8
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2019, 20:48   #24

Boat: bruce roberts mauritius 44

I sailed yesterday on the west coast of Phuket in 15-20 knots of wind. I was anchored off Patong and the gusts were so strong that it bent my anchor.
Aguabago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 17:13   #25

Here in Thailand now....was in Phuket for a few days and now in Koh Samui.....ROASTING!

Don't know how the blokes without air con do it.

Oh and the winds?.....HA!

The Moorings are smart with their fleet of power cats.
Old 27-04-2019, 17:21   #26
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

find a bit of deep jungle and lie still in a sarong
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2019, 17:33   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougtiff View Post
Having lived in that area for 20 year,s, and sailed all over the area, i can say, it's not sailing country for sure, mostly motoring, remember anchoring at Phi-Phi for week's, and being the only boat there, then it was a small fishing village, feel privileged to have been there at that time, also Phuket only had one hotel, at one beach, all the other beaches had small hut's on the beach, and great little restaurant's, offering fresh fish, one could live on $20.00 a day like a king, no prostitutes or bar's, wonderful, simple life style, not like the swamp it is now, same with Pattaya, back in those day's, i feel so sorry that those area's turned into shithole's.
Yes...the changes have been terrible.

We were not aware that Patong was a cruise ship destination. There were 2 anchored in the bay when we arrived....the crowds were insane.
Old 27-04-2019, 17:59   #28
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Best trip I ever had that area, used to backpack, take the longtail "bus" services used 99% by locals only that hops between the little island communities with zero amenities, sometimes service just twice a week.

Choose a stop where no one gets on or off and just start walking around.

Much easier if you speak Thai of course, but can get a long way on smiles and sign language.

Once a week or so, irregular, chip in for half a pig a couple cases of Chang and everybody's as hospitable as you can imagine.

Find out where and when the weddings are, and man is that fun, run on PAYG basis for a profit so they love for as many as possible to show up.

Married off two friends came to visit, one of the couples still happy a decade later teaching English and yoga in Columbia, the other got Norwegian citizenship so she's good 8-)

Happy daze. . .
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 21:56   #29
cruiser

Boat: Westsail 42

I was there in January 2018. All I can say is take lots of gas/diesel.
Razoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 23:49   #30

Considering a bareboat charter from Phuket , from the information given sounds like a cat with aircon and a water maker will make life a lot easier .
keensailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind