Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2017, 13:35   #1

Popular Departure Ports in South America for Transatlantic Crossing

Dear people,

My question is: which ports in South America are popular as departure ports for sailing boats heading to Europe?

I am a 25-year old Dutch student, looking for a sailing boat that will go from South America to Europe, and can take me on as crew member. To increase the chance that I find such a ship, I wanted to go to the ports to ask around.

Now, to decide to which port I can best go, I wondered from which ports in Brazil, Suriname, Argentina, Venezuela, Colombia etc. most ships leave. I am currently in Brazil, but could travel to any of these places.

It would help me a lot if anyone can answer this question, or maybe give me some other tips to find a place on a sailing boat going from South America to Europe.

Best regards, abraço,

Fabian (Rastus G.)
RastusGentibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:11   #2

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Re: Popular Departure Ports in South America for Transatlantic Crossing

Most folks who sail for pleasure from South America to Europe will sail up the Brazilian coast, go up the Caribbean island chain (say St Martin) at some point after October and then hope off to the Azores directly or via Bermuda at some time around April.
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 04:13   #3

Angra dos Reis, Río de Janeiro itself, Salvador and Fortaleza are usually stops.
Old 06-02-2017, 10:26   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

You can track ships' routes on e.g. Marine traffic website. Big ships tend to sail out of big ports: Buenos Aires, Rio, etc.

Sailing boats hardly ever sail from South America to Europe. Many / most sail to the West Indies first, then only onwards.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 13:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

Sailing boats hardly ever sail from South America to Europe. Many / most sail to the West Indies first, then only onwards.

b.
+1

Moreover, for more than one reason the best routing from BA to the West Indies involves hugging the coast up to at least Cape Calcanhar ("nose" of Brazil), and until you reach Salvador and get teh tradewinds you have to stop several times to wait for favorable weather. Therefore there is no single "departure port" because you stop several times.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:05   #6

Thanks a lot for all the replies. I understand indeed that the majority of the sailing boats first move North to the Caribbean/West Indies, and make the crossing from there.

I will then focus my search for a ship on the Caribbean. Thanks for the replies!
RastusGentibus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:40   #7

Boat: SOLD

If you´r not going to west indies, Cartagena de Indias, Barranquilla and Santa Marta in Colombia are the best places to look for a boat Europe bound. Most sailboats coming from Panama take this route on their way to west indies and Europe.

Mariano

Fair winds
Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
atlantic crossing, ports, South America