Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2016, 14:27   #1

Boat: Endurance 35 Pilothouse Cutter
Taking someone else's documented sailing vessel from the USA to Canada and back. Any

A good friend of mine who is also a licensed Captain is using my boat to sail from Washington State up into the Gulf islands of Canada and back. She is a documented vessel, when he goes through customs is there any paperwork he might be asked to show to prove he is allowed to use the vessel?

Sent from my SM-J700T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
AZ-Oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 14:30   #2

Re: Taking someone else's documented sailing vessel from the USA to Canada and back.

I'm not sure, hopefully someone may know. Maybe just call Can Customs? I would certainly give him a letter stating he is using it with your permission. Maybe notarized.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 15:59   #3

Boat: Endurance 35 Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Taking someone else's documented sailing vessel from the USA to Canada and back.

Thanks Cheechako, I was hoping that that would be all he needed. He actually has a financial interest in my boat but is not on the documentation. He is listed on the insurance papers however, so that would probably help as well but I just wondered because there are people who do informal deliveries and things like that on this list, who probably know if there is anything special he needs to have. I was hoping to avoid the long waits on hold and multiple push numbers game that often happens when you are trying to reach government bureaucracies.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
AZ-Oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 22:45   #4

Boat: Island Packet 40

Would not hurt to give your friend a "To whom it may concern" and include in it the geographical limits of usage in case they get the urge to go to the Caribbean - always a risk with folks up there??
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 08:48   #5

If it is Documented in Canada, they may request tax, if not already paid, on arrival or worse.

They may assume that the vessel will not return to the USA.

Caution.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 09:16   #6

Boat: Outremer 50S

Write it up as a simple one or two page bareboat (demise) charter agreement. This is the standard way to transfer operational responsibility for a vessel from the owner to another party. Properly written it also severs owner's responsibilities under the Jones Act (absent this, the Jones Act might consider the owner to be carrying passengers for hire on the vessel). Charter agreements can be very simple and are almost universally recognized in the maritime industry. Not much more than a letter, it can still specify limits of operation, period of charter, insurance, running costs, etc.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 09:21   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsanduril View Post
Write it up as a simple one or two page bareboat (demise) charter agreement. This is the standard way to transfer operational responsibility for a vessel from the owner to another party. Properly written it also severs owner's responsibilities under the Jones Act (absent this, the Jones Act might consider the owner to be carrying passengers for hire on the vessel). Charter agreements can be very simple and are almost universally recognized in the maritime industry. Not much more than a letter, it can still specify limits of operation, period of charter, insurance, running costs, etc.
That sounds like doing business in Canada...? maybe not good?

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 09:29   #8

Boat: Outremer 50S

About the same as taking a rental car across the border and back, which is pretty common. Probably > 50% of ships are operated under a charter agreement, and they move between ports and countries all the time.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 09:52   #9

Boat: Chris craft Apache 37

If the boat is documented in the u.s. then it is owned by a us owner. no taxes are applicable. If it was owned by a canadian it can not be documented in the us and would be taxed on entry into canada except if coming into the country for repairs or seasonal storage.
Ray
Snowgoose Apache 37
Ray Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 13:44   #10

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

A letter giving permission and make sure you have the current USCoastguard Certificate of Documentation with you on the boat.
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 16:20   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Taking someone else's documented sailing vessel from the USA to Canada and ba...

Gotta be easy, or boat deliveries would be a bear, yet they occur all the time, maybe ask a delivery Capt? And I believe it is very common for the wealthy to have their boat delivered from port to port while they take the jet.
Boatie, you out there?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, men, sail, sailing