Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2017, 18:13   #1

Boat: 1984 Hunter 27
Portsmouth NH area

Last fall I bought a 27 ft sailboat in Northern MA. It's finally going to splash sometime in the next week, and I'll then be sailing her to her new home in Newington NH. I'll be sailing from Manchester MA to Portsmouth NH, up the Piscataqua river to Great Bay Marina. Any advice or insight about this area that anyone would like to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Marty
finefurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2017, 19:19   #2

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25
Re: Portsmouth NH area

Quote:
Originally Posted by finefurn View Post
Last fall I bought a 27 ft sailboat in Northern MA. It's finally going to splash sometime in the next week, and I'll then be sailing her to her new home in Newington NH. I'll be sailing from Manchester MA to Portsmouth NH, up the Piscataqua river to Great Bay Marina. Any advice or insight about this area that anyone would like to share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Marty
Does Newington mean Great Bay Marine? That's where we are, sailed up from Narragansett bay last summer. Our weather from Boston to the Piscataqua was calm and easy, but you could go inside cape Ann via the Annisquam. If going into Rockport be aware of the gigantic unfinished breakwater that is mostly underwater.

Also lobster pots. So many lobster pots.

The Piscataqua has a serious current at max ebb, if I remember right can be over 5 knots in places. Other than that the river is easy, not too narrow. The Memorial bridge raises on a schedule. Last year the Sarah Mildred Long bridge was closed permanently (up position), not sure of current construction status. If going to Great Bay, the last bridge is fixed at 53' at low tide (so around 47' at high, don't quote me). This mattered to us as our mast is 49'.
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 04:19   #3

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Do not trifle with the current in the Piscataqua. Make sure your fuel and filters are good, and you can rely on your engine. You will NOT be sailing up the river, and if the engine quits there are no soft spots to hit.

Time your passage with the flood, from about an hour after low tide until about an hour after high (more or less, depending on where you are.)

The first (Memorial) bridge opens on the hour and half-hour. The next (Sarah Long) bridge is under construction but at this point the lift span has not been installed, so you get a free pass there.

The set of bridges just before Great Bay Marina (which isn't in Great Bay, btw) are fixed with a clearance of 46' at high tide, with a height of tide normally around 9'. If you can't clear that at most tides, I'd reconsider your choice of marinas. There's really no place to enjoy even a quick day sail above the bridge, so you'll be passing under it a lot.

I should mention that some folks do manage to push a sailboat against the current, which only hits max (around 6 knots) in a few narrows. The rest of the way the ebb will be 4-5 knots, so if you're up for a very long steam, it can be done. Which of course puts you at the last bridges (the oldest of which is called the General Sullivan Bridge) at low tide, if you need those extra few feet.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 17:42   #4

Thanks for the Info. Great Bay Marine/Great Bay Marina, I knew it was one of the two. We're about half way down the first line of moorings on the left. Boats name is "Maria Lusia" hope to be pulling in mid next week. If you happen to see us there some time, stop in to say Hi.
Old 31-05-2017, 21:01   #5

Boat: '86 MacGregor 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by finefurn View Post
Thanks for the Info. Great Bay Marine/Great Bay Marina, I knew it was one of the two. We're about half way down the first line of moorings on the left. Boats name is "Maria Lusia" hope to be pulling in mid next week. If you happen to see us there some time, stop in to say Hi.

Ah, missed this reply. Well since mid next week is about now, hope the trip went well. We will be in the yard for a few more weeks with projects, then on a mooring outside the bridge. "Jabberwocky" is a Catalina 36 with green boot stripe/canvas (no name on it at the moment, that's one project).
wyb2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 16:03   #6

Other than not much wind, the trip went off without a hitch. Smooth sailing all the way. Only hair raising moment was going under the Rt 16 bridge at high tide, didn't think we'ed make it but we did with just a tiny bit to spar.

Tags
ports