Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-06-2013, 12:49   #16

Boat: Island Packet 35
Re: Boat Storage in Texas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistov42 View Post
Rico:
I have lived in Kemah and Seabrook for 20+ years. Our boat is St Martin right now. First, I think you are crazy for bringing it back but I understand situations change...
There is a dive of a boat yard in Dickinson off Dickinson Bayou. You will be able to get 6' in there (you may need to watch the tide but I don't think so.
It is named Hillman Marine (281)339-1546). Mostly shrimpers but some sailboats and motor vessels. Lot's of do it yourself work. I think it will be reasonable in cost. Certainly less that the marinas/yards around Kemah and Seabrook.
HWY 146 has a clearance of 45' so a sailboat his size will not make it into Hillman, but great folks with a ton of tradition in the area.

There really is not much around Houston/Galveston since Ike. That is the nice thing about Florida is all the places to dry park your boat and not have to worry about it sinking in the slip when you return. Wish we had more in Texas.

Might not be a bad business opportunity for someone to buy some property with a good draft approach and open a storage / DIY yard.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:51   #17

Boat: '74 Cal25
Send a message via Yahoo to mtm41

The Boat Yard at Pleasure Island next to the Port Arthur Yacht Club. 352-603-5562. They have cranes.
mtm41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 08:02   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Does anyone know about the boatyard in Freeport? I have family in Lake Jackson, looking for someplace close.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 09:42   #19

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Does anyone know about the boatyard in Freeport? I have family in Lake Jackson, looking for someplace close.
A Bing search turns up a number of marinas near Freeport:

freeport texas marinas - Bing

I once spent a long tour there, and in Lake Jackson (That Way and This Way, etc.); a few yards from the municipal one in Freeport.
Freeport seemed to have the most vicious mosquitos of anywhere I've been except South Bay behind Boca Chica beach.
Most of the boats around there are fishing powerboats (proximity to Houston) and commercial ops.
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 10:13   #20

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbodine88 View Post
I've created this list from Google, plus I've been to all of these places and at least driven by.

Waters Edge and Cove Harbor Marina & Dry Stack (Macs) are for trailered outboards and inboard fishers primarily (I know the owner of WE). WE isn't even accessible to a Travelall, being off the highway quite a few yards from Cove Harbor with no direct water access.

Long term dry storage for a big sailboat in the Coastal Bend is hard to find, suggest you make a careful search, and call and talk directly long before moving. Hook and Bull, and House of Boats at Cove Harbor discourage really long term storage, but you can try.
Best bet might be around Aransas Pass, lots of commercial facilities with the capacity for a big boat.

The Corpus Christi downtown marina for example, is nice for wet slips; but the haulout area is very cramped and has many restrictions, on amount of time and everything else (think like Dana Point, CA).
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle, storage, texas