Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2008, 13:36   #1

Living Aboard in Vancouver ?

My wife and I (and our 8 month old son) have decided to seriously investigate the liveaboard lifestyle. I must admit, though, we're feeling a bit overwhelmed by the learning curve and process involved in making the transition from land. We are complete newbies, with a lot of interest, but very little actual knowledge. These forums have been great, but I would love the chance to sit down with a live person, especially somebody familiar with the nuances of living aboard in the Vancouver area. Even better would be the chance to talk to a family that are living the dream with a small child. If there is anybody fitting the bill that would be willing to sit down with me for a couple hours over coffee or beer, I'm buying.

Looking forward to it.

Graeme
gsaruk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 13:55   #2

Boat: Island Packet 35 #81
LBoard

There was a lady at the Seattle Boat show last year that spoke about it. You could probably get her name off the Seattle Boat show site. She had written a book as I recall. It would entertain you and give you some info so your sit down would be more productive.

Having kids that are now 14 and 18 I could not imagine the extra headache of making sure they stayed on the boat and out of the water as a toddler. The other question that comes to mind is, what is the upside of living in a studio apartment that floats, unless you are going somewhere.

My 2 cents worth.

DW
Duckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 14:40   #3
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 25ft Merlin catamaran, 34ft Romany catamaran
I suspect you mean Lisa Copland as she has written several books (eg Cruising for Cowards) and lives in Vancouver

Richard Woods of Woods Designs

www.sailingcatamarans.com

sometimes on Saturna Island but currently in the UK
Woods Designs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2008, 14:50   #4
Han

Boat: Orca 38
Hi Graeme,

My boyfriend and I have been living aboard in Vancouver for about a year and a half now. We don't have any kids, so I can only offer the non-family perspective (and I'm sure a baby aboard would be a huge difference from our lifestyle) but I can try to answer any questions you might have.

Just by way of background, we live on an older 31ft sailboat at a marina in False Creek. Our situation is probably more spartan than some (no fridge ), but we manage to show up looking (pretty) decent to work every morning. As you're probably aware, the city of Vancouver regulates living aboard pretty tightly, and many marinas don't allow it. I can send you a list of those that do if you like. Also, maybe check into Spruce Harbour Coop, it's a liveaboard only marina, and I know I've met at least one person from there who has kids aboard, although their name escapes me right now.

Anyways, let me know what other questions you have.

Sarah.
Han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 14:39   #5

Boat: Custom 47' sloop
Hi Graeme,

My wife and I have lived aboard in Vancouver for the past 14 years, and raised our son aboard from age 9 to 19. Send me a PM and I'd be happy to meet you and let you know about our experience.

Wayne
zeppelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 16:43   #6

Boat: 42 Passage CC
Send a message via Skype™ to Artful Dodger
you should check out this family, here is their site Sailing Vessel Precipice this a family of four, mother father and two young girls, about 10 and eleven, I know they could help a lot, they are at present wintering here in Newfoundland with me, in the Quidi Vidi gute, tied to the Brewery. I know if you email Rolland he will more than be glad to help.
Artful Dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 18:32   #7

Let's make it a seminar!

I, too, would be interested in anything/everything liveaboard in Vancouver, even to the point of hosting a get-together at our apartment in Steveston if that's what it takes to entice the liveaboards to chat about things.

Anyone up for hors d’oeuvres?

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 21:51   #8

Boat: looking
My wife & I were live-a-boards for 3+ years, in West Vancouver, in the mid-1990s. I'd be interested in knowing which places were still allowing people to live-a-board. Does Shelter Island have a live-a-board policy?

If you are making a plan to live on a boat in the Vancouver area, make sure that your boat is properly insulated and heated! (voice of experience - lol)
bangkaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:16   #9

Boat: s/v Annapurna (Contessa 26)
If you give me your Canadian citizenship, I will tell you all about living aboard.
Philosail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 14:54   #10

Philosail - Deal! You can have mine. I'll trade you for a flat of beer.
Old 02-12-2011, 13:58   #11

Re: Living Aboard in Vancouver?

An old thread I know, but the OP sums up just what I came here to ask.
Looking for individuals who could share their live aboard experiences with me, especially in the Vancouver area.

Thank you!
bajabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 14:36   #12

Location: Behind the garlic curtain - east central Saskatchewan
Boat: Baylurker 2755

Not sure how much help I can be on the Vancouver situation but liveaboard life is alive and well on the Island. We looked at boats on the Fraser over a year ago now where there were obvious liveaboards in the marina. I expect the situation is similar to the Island - call yourself stay aboards and everything will be cool - ask to receive your mail at the marina and things will get more complicated real fast. We're in Texas right now but we'll be back on the boat within the month and over to Vancouver soon after. We can serve wine on the boat or drink it at your place - on the boat is better cuz I don't have to get home after the evening is over. PM if you're interested.
bobofthenorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 18:33   #13

Send a message via Skype™ to Nomdaica
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsaruk
My wife and I (and our 8 month old son) have decided to seriously investigate the liveaboard lifestyle. I must admit, though, we're feeling a bit overwhelmed by the learning curve and process involved in making the transition from land. We are complete newbies, with a lot of interest, but very little actual knowledge. These forums have been great, but I would love the chance to sit down with a live person, especially somebody familiar with the nuances of living aboard in the Vancouver area. Even better would be the chance to talk to a family that are living the dream with a small child. If there is anybody fitting the bill that would be willing to sit down with me for a couple hours over coffee or beer, I'm buying.

Looking forward to it.

Graeme
My girl friend and I are living in false creek and deep cove. We don't have dock, so we anchor every day. I work at a school downtown and she works at a wine distributor.

It's a small 3o foot boat.

We have no kids, but we like beer an sharing stories.

Pm me if you like! I'm Joel.
Old 02-12-2011, 18:44   #14

Boat: S.V. Wildheart - 1976 Douglas 32'
Send a message via MSN to serah

We're living aboard in Vancouver as well at Mosquito Creek. I like the previous post about a a get-together, even if I realize it's been a few years since that was posted. Feel free to ask any questions!
serah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 19:09   #15

serah, I assume that's "on the quiet", or have things changed at Mosquito Creek? I drove through while I was in Vancouver in Erly Sept, as I had to visit Popeye's, anyway. Many other recent changes, I see, including humongous speed bumps & a security booth!

Tags
living aboard, vancouver