Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2018, 04:15   #1

Boat: Hinckley 49, Evening Star, originally owned by Lawrence Rockefeller
Ideal windlass issue

My ideal windlass has decided not to work, it will spin perfectly until there is a load on it. There is a loud grinding noise when load is applied
I suspect the motor has an issue, batteries are full, is there anything else I should look at before I pull the motor off?
I tried to attach a video of the noise, but no go, so here is a pic instead, it only took an hour and a half to pull up 80meters of chain!Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3774.JPG
Views:	386
Size:	106.7 KB
ID:	161910
Markhunter1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 04:43   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Ideal windlass issue

If you're hearing grinding when load is applied it's probably the gearbox, not the motor itself.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 05:40   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

We have an Ideal windlass, but haven't had any grinding issues to date. Looking at the 4 bolt deck pattern from the pic, it appears you have a model similar to ours and is either a V3C or V4C (the V3C has a smaller gear box).

Not an expert here but have done some upgrading on our gear box, so I'll throw my thoughts into the hat. Based on the grinding noise, I would start by pulling the motor and inspecting the end drive gear or the motor itself. The motor and end gear are the main drive units in the gear box and unless the end gear broke apart, the gears in the box should be fine (and if the gear lube level was maintained). Before you pull the motor drain the gear box oil. Here is a link that describes the motor removal in more detail.

After removing the motor try to spin the windlass by hand (it will be somewhat difficult) to see if it turns smoothly or grinds. Also inspect the gear lube for metal particles and compare to the metal type at the end of the starter (think the main gears are bronze). Here's a link to the gen. troubleshooting page for reference.

I'm thinking its only the motor that has gone bad. Before you purchase a new motor from Ideal (now owned by Schaefer Marine), try to take your motor to an old school alternator/starter motor repair shop. Essentially these are starter motors so they may be able to fix it cheaper than the price of a replacement. Also they aren't the quickest in turn around, so it may be quicker to look locally for repair.

Would like to know what you find, so keep us updated.

Bill O.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 12:30   #4

Thanks Bill O for the reply, yes I have emailed Schaefer, but as yet have not heard back from them, thus I asked the crowd.
Will let you know how I go, am starting today with the oil removal, giving myself 3 hours for that.
Old 10-01-2018, 15:27   #5

Schaefer reply

Hello Mark,
I attached some information that might be helpful. It sounds to me that there is a gearing problem.
Best bet is to take the system apart and look at the inside parts.
Do you know your serial number. It would be on the gearcase or motor.

Let me know your thoughts,

Joy Ruel
Schaefer Marine Inc.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:03   #6

Mark,
When you drained the gear lube did you see any metal bits? How did the worm gear look on the motor?

Don't think you mentioned which model you have V3C or V4C??

Bill O.
Old 11-01-2018, 07:11   #7

Boat: Shannon 43 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
We have an Ideal windlass, but haven't had any grinding issues to date. Looking at the 4 bolt deck pattern from the pic, it appears you have a model similar to ours and is either a V3C or V4C (the V3C has a smaller gear box).

Not an expert here but have done some upgrading on our gear box, so I'll throw my thoughts into the hat. Based on the grinding noise, I would start by pulling the motor and inspecting the end drive gear or the motor itself. The motor and end gear are the main drive units in the gear box and unless the end gear broke apart, the gears in the box should be fine (and if the gear lube level was maintained). Before you pull the motor drain the gear box oil. Here is a link that describes the motor removal in more detail.

After removing the motor try to spin the windlass by hand (it will be somewhat difficult) to see if it turns smoothly or grinds. Also inspect the gear lube for metal particles and compare to the metal type at the end of the starter (think the main gears are bronze). Here's a link to the gen. troubleshooting page for reference.

I'm thinking its only the motor that has gone bad. Before you purchase a new motor from Ideal (now owned by Schaefer Marine), try to take your motor to an old school alternator/starter motor repair shop. Essentially these are starter motors so they may be able to fix it cheaper than the price of a replacement. Also they aren't the quickest in turn around, so it may be quicker to look locally for repair.

Would like to know what you find, so keep us updated.

Bill O.
Great response
'87 Shannon 43' Ketch
svMarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 07:12   #8

Boat: Shannon 43 Ketch

This is a great line - I will follow closely as my 30 yo windlass is due for some love
'87 Shannon 43' Ketch
svMarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:12   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Assuming the gears are fine, it's either worn brushes or a bad winding in the motor. My dollar is on brushes.

I put a used V3C on the Rose last year. I took the back plate off the motor and removed quite a bit of old brush dust from the back end. I know I have to replace the brushes real soon now.

Anybody have a source for brushes, they are roughly 1/4" x 3/4" and there are four (see photo).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170528_104623_DRO.jpg
Views:	406
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	162010  
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 10:51   #10

For the brushes, if you can locate an old school generator/alternator/starter rebuild shop, I'm certain they would have them. Kinda hard to find a shop like that these days.

The owner of my local old school shop just retired, so I'll be looking around for another for future repairs.

Bill O.
Old 11-01-2018, 11:19   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Assuming the gears are fine, it's either worn brushes or a bad winding in the motor. My dollar is on brushes.

I put a used V3C on the Rose last year. I took the back plate off the motor and removed quite a bit of old brush dust from the back end. I know I have to replace the brushes real soon now.

Anybody have a source for brushes, they are roughly 1/4" x 3/4" and there are four (see photo).
If you can't find the exact brushes then see if you can find an oversized set with the correct kind of leads. Then sand down the brushes to fit the holders in the motor. Done this before and worked fine. The brushes are pretty soft and easy to shape.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:20   #12

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Try calling Schaefer and ask for Cliff. He was the problem solver at Ideal and was at Schaefer when I last called a bit over a year ago. If you have the model number he can often help you diagnose over the phone.

I agree that, if the problem is the motor, fixing locally is the way to go.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:41   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Grinding noise could be motor, could be gears. I've had motors where the magnets cracked or came off that made grinding noises. Also had gear problems that a bad bearing or bushing caused the noise.

Only way to tell is to get inside and look. If there's a difference in the disassembly, start with the part that's easiest to take apart and put back together. You'll hate yourself if you do the hard part first only to discover it was the easy one.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 14:44   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
Mark,
When you drained the gear lube did you see any metal bits? How did the worm gear look on the motor?

Don't think you mentioned which model you have V3C or V4C??

Bill O.

I haven’t managed to do anything as yet Bill O, hopefully in the next couple of days I will drain oil and pull motor.
The model is a BWAC, that’s until I find a different model number stamped in the motor/gearbox itself!
Old 11-01-2018, 20:59   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
If you can't find the exact brushes then see if you can find an oversized set with the correct kind of leads. Then sand down the brushes to fit the holders in the motor. Done this before and worked fine. The brushes are pretty soft and easy to shape.
That is my fall back.

Near as I can tell the brush holders look very much like a Delco, but I've not found the exact set. Gee mine can't be more then 25 years old. Odd's are it will be fine for another year.

Of course If I can find a NOS brush holder with brushes, it would be a lovely thing to have in the spares box.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wind, windlass