Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2017, 09:29   #1

Boat: Pearson 30
Ok To Skip Bottom Paint For 1 Season?

Boat was not power washed at haul out last season and there is a thin coat of dry algae on the hull. Given that the hull has multiple coats of old anti-fouling paint, would skipping a new coat of anti-foul paint this spring cause any problems? Following spring launch, The bottom could be cleaned while boat is in the water and the old Algae growth could be removed. This is a freshwater boat.

https://studio.youtube.com/channel/U...gZ0TNAegy_WZQA
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 11:35   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Ok To Skip Bottom Paint For 1 Season?

FWIW our boat hasn’t been out of the water for 4 years. Just the occasional scrub. I’ll be hauling within the next year for a sanding and 2-3 more coats of paint.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 11:47   #3

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I think a good scrubbing after launching shouldbe sufficient for the summer season.

Old 28-12-2017, 11:59   #4

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
FWIW our boat hasn’t been out of the water for 4 years. Just the occasional scrub. I’ll be hauling within the next year for a sanding and 2-3 more coats of paint.
Same here except I'll be adding another one coat like I did in the winter of 2014/2015. (two coats on the bow area and lowest part of the keel until the one gallon plus one quart of paint is used up)
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 12:01   #5

Interesting idea!

Old 28-12-2017, 21:25   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Some bottom paints, definitely hard vinyls, lose their antifouling properties when stored out of the water. Ablative paints typically don't have a problem with being stored out of the water. You'll need to find out what paint is on your bottom and check with the manufacturer.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 23:48   #7

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

I'd add to this question as someone who is about to get their first boat: How necessary is anti-fouling? I understand all the concepts behind it, but if I'm using the boat as a liveaboard in warm waters, I wonder if I can make it part of my exercise routine to put on some fins and a soft push brush (and some earplugs and sweep the hull every few days?

Something like this article makes me think it would be perfectly fine, unless I had to leave the boat for any extended period of time.

To anti foul, or not to anti foul? - NZ Herald
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 04:59   #8

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
I'd add to this question as someone who is about to get their first boat: How necessary is anti-fouling? I understand all the concepts behind it, but if I'm using the boat as a liveaboard in warm waters, I wonder if I can make it part of my exercise routine to put on some fins and a soft push brush (and some earplugs and sweep the hull every few days?

Something like this article makes me think it would be perfectly fine, unless I had to leave the boat for any extended period of time.

To anti foul, or not to anti foul? - NZ Herald

You won’t have enough time in a day to keep up with the growth in warm water once it gets going!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 05:17   #9
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Ok To Skip Bottom Paint For 1 Season?

Personally.. I'd go over the antifoul with a sander and medium grade paper a day or two before launch.. a quick sanding to clear the dead paint and scum on the surface.. but hey..!!!
What do I know..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 05:19   #10

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Haha maybe not. But just for sh!ts and giggles, I usually have nowhere to go, nowhere to be. I'm a diver and rescue swimmer, so swimming is not one of my weak points. And I drink too much prosecco to not need a good exercise routine while cruising A scrub every few days wouldn't be enough to serve all purposes?
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 08:52   #11

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Anti-fouling varies enormously depending both on what has been applied, how well it was applied and where you are. Literally it can change from one bay to the next due to things like agrecultural run off. Be cautious of general advice and ask a few locals what they find.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 09:09   #12

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Same here except I'll be adding another one coat like I did in the winter of 2014/2015. (two coats on the bow area and lowest part of the keel until the one gallon plus one quart of paint is used up)
Yes, when pressed for time or subject to poor painting weather, I've done this: double up at bow, rudder and leading edge of the keel, single coat at the WL to the turn of the bilges and a Scotchbrite pad scrub of the rest to "free" the remaining anti-fouling and to remove the algae and growth. Spray down with a hose and you're good in most places. The way the boat's orientated at dock matters too, however.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 09:33   #13

Boat: 1979 O'Day 28

As others have said, it depends on local conditions. I'm in saltwater, Buzzards Bay, Massachusetts and I definitely can go a second summer without another anti-fouling coat. However, my boat gets power washed when it comes out to remove the soft algae growth. Then in the Spring I give it a good stiff brush wash before launch. I use a good quality ablative paint with a contrasting color below the top coat. I have gone a third summer without a completely new coat but then I get quite a few hard growth spots. I also touch-up any spots that show the contrasting second layer coming through. The only way to know is to try it out for yourself since everyone's sense of "clean" is different.
billdre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 09:49   #14

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailon1 View Post
Boat was not power washed at haul out last season and there is a thin coat of dry algae on the hull. Given that the hull has multiple coats of old anti-fouling paint, would skipping a new coat of anti-foul paint this spring cause any problems? Following spring launch, The bottom could be cleaned while boat is in the water and the old Algae growth could be removed. This is a freshwater boat.
The only reason to have an antifouling coat of paint is to keep marine growth off the bottom.
Basically you can sail without antifouling altogether, just dive and clean the bottom whenever the growth bothers you.
So the simple answer is yes, you can...
Old 29-12-2017, 10:01   #15

The bottom paint only retards growth and does nothing to protect the boat other than that, so sure.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint