Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2017, 03:09   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 43
Interior (headliner)paint question, Gloss or Semi-gloss

First off this thread is not about what brand of paint to use. There are enough threads about that.
I am painting the beadboard ceiling/headliner in my HC43, way overdue.
Do you recommend gloss or a flattened, semi-gloss finish?
I am just not sure if gloss would be "Too Much"
I am using "Brightsides" as I have plenty of practice with it and I like the way it flows. I can dull it using the flattening agent.
Any photos of beadboard ceilings? (not a lot of headliners on google)
Rowglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 03:23   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Interior (headliner)paint question, Gloss or Semi-gloss

I prefer semi gloss and satin finishes on the interior as I find a high gloss shine distracting and it degrades my depth perception.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1511004229464.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	159359
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 03:30   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I went with gloss (Brightside as well) with my previous boat. Here are some before and after pics http://svpomaikai.com/v-berth-remodel . I'm doing the same on my new boat.

I like the gloss as I like the ease of cleaning it and I want more light down below. I'm also one of those people that wanted all the windows in the house open when I lived on land so your mileage may very.
Old 18-11-2017, 05:22   #4

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

I like semi-gloss.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 06:10   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

I think ultimately it's a function of how much area we're talking about, whether it's all horizontal, how much trim there is on top of it, etc. Offhand I would go with gloss for ease of cleaning, but if it's going to create a riot of reflections and hotspots that would be pretty annoying.

One paint to consider, believe it or not, is Rustoleum Topsides paint. It flows out unbelievably well with a brush. Just redid my helm pedestal with it and it looks like it came from the factory. I think it's considerably cheaper than Brightsides and on the interior should last basically indefinitely.

Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 06:35   #6
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Gloss would be very distracting at night as it reflects the red light from the night lights. Having the red glare splattered all over the ceiling would be awful IMHO. In fact, any bare fiberglass tends to do this, even.matte paints if they are light colors, so I prefer headliner -not to mention the sound-deadening qualities that headliner has.

The only painted fiberglass anywhere inside our boat that is showing is a tiny bit on the sole in the head through the teak grating and a small strip between the wood trim where the headliner is and the hatches are above. One might think they are in a wooden boat belowdecks in our HR35.

The painted or gelcoated plastic goes on the outside in the sun.and waves, and the wood goes on the inside IMHO.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 06:47   #7
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

I am also done using.anything but 2-part epoxy paints anywhere on a boat. I used brightside on the "wet" sole of the head and it just has not held up. The teak grate wears right through it in a season and if you spill any harsh chemicals on it the finish just dissolves. Acetone destroys it.

I wish I had used perfection instead there Too late now. It is too hard to sand it all up now. 2-part paints are no harder to use, I feel, and give superior lasting performance. Brand doesn't matter but type does. Leave the 1-part paint for land use.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 07:32   #8

Boat: Catalina 470

I prefer gloss but find it much less forgiving during application, get it wrong and it shows up every defect.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 14:47   #9

Boat: ODAY 28

I like the semi gloss for the interior
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2017, 15:00   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Interlux used to have an interior paint in an eggshell finish. Used that on our last boat and it gave good service, easily washed but no glare. Using an interior oil based house paint on current boat in a semi gloss and it's okay. Advantage of going to the paint store is they will mix any color you want. With the Interlux had to combine two colors to get the desired hue.

Would stay away from a high gloss paint because of glare and brush marks are more of an issue. Personally have brush mark problems with any paint but that's my technique.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 11:15   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
With the Interlux had to combine two colors to get the desired hue.
Brightside can be tinted with any oil based tint.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 13:17   #12

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Headliner matt

Vertical parts, glossy finish
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 15:14   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
I think ultimately it's a function of how much area we're talking about, whether it's all horizontal, how much trim there is on top of it, etc. Offhand I would go with gloss for ease of cleaning, but if it's going to create a riot of reflections and hotspots that would be pretty annoying.

One paint to consider, believe it or not, is Rustoleum Topsides paint. It flows out unbelievably well with a brush. Just redid my helm pedestal with it and it looks like it came from the factory. I think it's considerably cheaper than Brightsides and on the interior should last basically indefinitely.

RIGHTO! IT is far better than Brightside + you do not need to use a primer as you must with Brightside.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 19:45   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
RIGHTO! IT is far better than Brightside + you do not need to use a primer as you must with Brightside.
Brightside does not require a primer unless the surface is bare wood. It can go over previously painted surfaces in good condition with only a light sanding.
I have used it over sanded gelcoat and epoxy without a primer and it still looks good 8 years later. I also tinted it to match.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 21:08   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Brightside does not require a primer unless the surface is bare wood. It can go over previously painted surfaces in good condition with only a light sanding.
I have used it over sanded gelcoat and epoxy without a primer and it still looks good 8 years later. I also tinted it to match.
Well here in Florida Brightside loses its gloss in 1 year and the color oxidizes so you can rub it on your hand in 1 year---and bird poop makes it flake off -even when Brightside primer is used, Ive been disappointed time and again with Brightside paint for a long time
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, headliner, interior, paint