Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2017, 12:57   #1

Family liveaboard

Hello

Looking for feed back on a vessel for family of four. Kids are four and seven
Budget for vessel 80k. We have lived aboard before we had kids and for the last year or so have owed and coastal cruised on a Catalina 30.

We are planning a year to 18 months sabbatical. Eastern seaboard of US, Bahamas and Caribbean.

So far been looking at
Irwin 38
IP 35
Endeavour 38/40
Catalina 36/38

Any help will be fantastic
starfishblaabla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2017, 06:52   #2

Boat: B24
Re: Family liveaboard

You might also consider the Morgan Out Island series as well – am not personally familiar with them and the aesthetics offend some, but any of the boats like the Irwins and Morgans that were used in the purchase/lease-back island bare-boat charter programs of a few decades back tend to be straightforward to sail (albeit not necessarily sterling performers) with larger than usual cabin accommodations. I lived aboard an Irwin 42 for several years and although it had way more room than I needed, it sailed quite nicely.
Old 24-10-2017, 14:18   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I'm wondering if you or your good lady have any sailing experience?

Living aboard isn't a big deal, you live wherever you are, and quickly learn the local ropes. It is the sailing part and the divisions of labor that will be more challenging.

If you plan to keep the boat for a couple of years, the kids would benefit from separate sleeping/homework places, so available accommodations will probably drive your boat decision. Just go look at the boats you've selected, and you and your good lady pick what works best for your family.

If you were open ended, I would put more effort into getting quality of construction as your prime concern, even if it meant going smaller, but if you are only going as far afield as the Bahamas, and you prepare the boat well, and avoid cyclone season, just buy what suits, and be a good steward of it, prepare and maintain it well. Don't make major changes to the boat in the first year; consider that a learning phase.

Ann
Old 24-10-2017, 14:44   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

From the four you have listed, if age and condition are similar, then in my opinion the IP wins.
However same or similar money, I bet you can get a whole lot bigger Boat in an OI 41.
An IP 35 is a big 35’ Boat, but it’s going to get way small with four aboard.
Our 38 is/ was tight with four, and now that it’s just the Wife and I and we live aboard, there are times that I wish for a bigger boat, but I bet that’s normal.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2017, 12:36   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, there, starfishblaabla,

The decision as to boat, imho, rides entirely on whether or not you want to cruise further afield later on. If, in your estimation, there is any likelihood of this being the case, then you want to look for underlying quality and durability along with the space you need: your kids will be adult size pretty soon, in the natural way of things. Anticipate the space needs well, and you're halfway there.

Boats that are designed for the get-go as cruising boats generally cost more, but they will have the storage you need for the family of four. One CF member, Hudson Force, raised a family of himself, wife, and two children on a Morgan OI 41; it has recently been sold. Perhaps he would respond to a PM about what's available on the east coast. That boat had been continually maintained and upgraded. That could see you round the world. It is not a profoundly sturdy boat, but we met one on the east coast of Australia, and carefully handled, she made it here on her own bottom.

The Island Packets have a good reputation for good build, but they are not spirited sailors.

You see, people's preferences need to go into their choices. Sailing better performing boats makes cruising more fun for some, and is less important for others. The people on CF who enjoy sailing, their choices are reflected in their boats, for the most part.

You and your good lady go look at representatives of the boats you've listed, and try some of the suggestions, too, and then decide where you are on storage vs. bunk space, and sailing capabilities.

One bit of advice I've seen here on CF is to buy the best example from a marque that you like.

Ann
Old 27-10-2017, 08:35   #6

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by starfishblaabla View Post
So far been looking at
Irwin 38
IP 35
Endeavour 38/40
Catalina 36/38

Any help will be fantastic

OK, I'm not as experienced as some on this forum, but those boats are awfully small for a family of four as a liveaboard. For one thing, you will have only one head. That might be fine for a family on daytrips, but not liveaboard. Plus, what if the head malfunctions? You really want a backup. Even if the head isn't an issue, your children need space. Maybe even more space because they are kids and need to move around.

I wouldn't go with a 35-38 ft boat in this situation unless it was a catamaran. For a monohull, I would go 42 feet minimum, preferably 45. You need enough space that people can be alone for a little while, or get dressed without bumping into everyone ele, plus you probably will need two heads and a lot of storage (one head can double as storage too).

I know your budget is 80K but you can get bigger boats if you are willing to fix them up (the recent hurricanes may provide good opportunities for that)
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family, liveaboard