Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2017, 13:07   #1

Place to fit out steel hull in Northeast

My wife and I have been living aboard for the last three years. We love the life, but we're looking to make the switch from glass to steel. Our boat is currently under contract, and we've found a suitable 43' steel hull to fit out for northern sailing.

Obviously, the build will be expensive, and we're looking to keep as much money as possible flowing towards the boat. Does anyone have any ideas on how to find a cheap place to finish this boat and have a roof over our head?

My wife is a nurse, so she can work most anywhere while I do the fit out, but after being in Florida for a couple years, we're hoping to get back up to Pennsylvania for cooler weather and to be closer to family for this project.

Has anyone done this somewhat recently that sorted out an economical build location and living situation? I have some experience boatbuilding, and I'm hoping to have an engine installed and interior completed enough to launch and be livable while finishing up within about a year.

Any thoughts would be awesome! Thanks.
Jebrown215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 13:20   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Place to fit out steel hull in Northeast

Try talking to Tim at a Delaware City Marina.

http://delawarecitymarina.biz

Tim has allowed me to do fairly extensive work on my boats in their yard. It's a bit over an hour to Philly. I actually find it easier to access various industrial services in New Castle than in Philly as they are more concentrated and the traffic is not so bad.

I had Tim sand blast the small boat and I repainted it. On the big boat I cut off the old bow sprit and I welded on a new one. We kept boats here for several years and lived aboard all winter for a couple of years, every other week.

Tim can be a bit quirky, some folks have had a difficult time with him, I and some friends never did but we were always pretty careful. I would recommend going by to chat with him, low key like, informally check thing me out. Do a little warm up. I found him typically accommodating in the long run. His rates were not bad. Delaware City is a bit down on its heals but not without charms and basic necessities. Rental housing is pretty cheap. There is a garage in town. Super market and Home Depot can be accessed by bus if need be.

And.....there is a true blacksmith shop in town. Great guy.

Love to know what boat you are buying.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 13:40   #3

Delaware City is a good spot, Tim isn't a good fit for us (you may remember). Although the area is great, we're looking for something a little more... stable. The town is great, and tons of support nearby.
Jebrown215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 18:11   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Ah,
The posters name didn't sink in!

All is clear now.

Greenwich, NJ then.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 20:53   #5

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

How much of a factor are taxes? And are you willing (or planning to) build your own workshop building? Plus, I'm assuming that you''re desiring to stay on the east coast?
Also, try posting this over on www.boatdesign.net/forums

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, steel, steel hull