Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2017, 05:56   #1

Boat: OE 32
AIS in Indonesia

Hello!

I read on noonsite that the use of AIS is mandatory when cruising Indonesia. This was last updated in 2015. Has anyone sailed here the last years, has it changed, how strict is this?
Would just the MMSI number be enough? We have an AIS receiver but not a sender...

Cheers,

Kairos
ypepypiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 17:30   #2

Boat: Woodward 47
Re: AIS in Indonesia

We have sailed there. As far as we know it is a little on and off with the AIS. likewise in Thailand. Having an mmsi is of no use. However get yourself a transponder and from there on throughout the rest of the world the big ships will see you and avoid you. We transited the Singapore/ Mallaca straits numerous times and never had to alter course . We can be seen!
fabricator-ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2017, 21:43   #3

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: AIS in Indonesia

Yes you are required to have one in indonesia but I've never seen.it inforced, I left indo waters October last year.
Thailand on the other hand wont clear you in if the harbourmaster at phuket cant confirm that you have a transponder on board, no exceptions.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, Indonesia