Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2016, 05:19   #1

Boat: Dehler 39 CWS
Affordable and secure berthing for summertime on Mediterranean or Atlantic Europe

Hello! We are living and working on board our Dehler 39 CWS Süstik during the winter time here in Marina di Ragusa, Sicily and making plans for the summer 2017.

We would like to leave our boat somewhere secure but cheap from May until the end of August because we need to go back on land for the summertime. Could be either on Mediterranean (which is way too expensive) or preferably on the Atlantic coast of Europe or some islands (Canaries, Madeira etc.). Does anyone know a good place for that or has had any similar experiences? We'd appreciate any good hint!

I tried to search some previous threads with answers but this unfortunately didn't bring any success.

Thank you!

Martin from Süstik
nautificmiles.com
systik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 07:28   #2

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 40
Re: Affordable and secure berthing for summertime on Mediterranean or Atlantic Europe

Hello,

There are "millions" of possibilities but here I left 3 or 4!

We left our boat 2 winters in Burriana Nova near Valencia. Excelent marina and very reasonable prices!

Burriananova > Tariffs

Coming west there some Spanish marinas that could very attractive. Near Almeria, there are some but we never left the boat there.

In Portugal you may choose to be near big airports and cities (Lisbon or Porto):

Rates - Marina Parque das Nações

Pricing - Douro Marina

or in more small towns like Figueira da Foz (the prices in this page are Portuguese and are 3 years old) or Povoa do Varzim (but here it would be better to place the boat on land)

http://www.portofigueiradafoz.pt/Use...%202013(1).pdf

Price List | Marina da Póvoa

We have been in all of these marinas and can give you more information if you need. Hope this helps,

Regards, Vladis
Vladis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 08:32   #3

Boat: Dehler 39 CWS
Re: Affordable and secure berthing for summertime on Mediterranean or Atlantic Europe

Dear Vladis - thank you so much for the excellent information!

I have now sent e-mails out to all of these marinas that you suggested + also Almerimar on the Spanish coast. I will post updates here once they have arrived so that it could be helpful also to others who are looking to escape the crowded and overpriced Med during the summer.

My favourite marinas at the moment are on the Atlantic coast of Portugal. Prices, culture, people, activities (vibrant in Porto and Lisbon) and food! Fingers crossed for some positive responses from these marinas.
systik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 08:48   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Fig da Foz is a good spot.. Lisbon will be tough apart from Cascais which is pricey..
Almerimar is one of the cheapest
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 08:27   #5

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40

How about hauling out in Greece its cheap all year round there?
creo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:17   #6

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

If you are teady to go further north i would recommend Portosin Marina in Ria de Muros. Also have all facilities for haulout etc if needed. Excellent Clubhouse. If you are a member of the Cruising Association you get 25% discount on marina fees and (i think) 10 % discount on haulout etc.

Local food excellent and v inexpensive. Shellfish in particular. Nearest airport is Santiago de Compostela which about 35 mins away.
Andrew
Old 02-01-2017, 06:08   #7

Good price and super safe at Rabat, Bourgreg Marina. Check it. 20% discount for Sail The World members.
Kemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 17:25   #8

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by systik View Post
Hello! We are living and working on board our Dehler 39 CWS Süstik during the winter time here in Marina di Ragusa, Sicily and making plans for the summer 2017.

We would like to leave our boat somewhere secure but cheap from May until the end of August because we need to go back on land for the summertime. Could be either on Mediterranean (which is way too expensive) or preferably on the Atlantic coast of Europe or some islands (Canaries, Madeira etc.). Does anyone know a good place for that or has had any similar experiences? We'd appreciate any good hint!

I tried to search some previous threads with answers but this unfortunately didn't bring any success.

Thank you!

Martin from Süstik
nautificmiles.com
Another at Ragusa. Frankly I don't understand why so many go there and recommend the place, when just another few miles along the coast is Licata and Marina di Cala del Sole. From our experience (of both), it is nicer, cheaper, friendlier, and far more secure, with marineros cruising around on land and water regularly. They are expanding, so I guess that means they are being discovered by more and more people.
As another option, across the water is Port Yasmine in Tunisia. Also good and cheaper again.

Hope that helps,

David
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:59   #9

Boat: Lagoon 42

not sure if this is any help , but we're currently on the hard very close to Lisbon in Portugal . its not a marina as they do not have any spaces in the water but they are a good yard , very (very !) friendly owners and we're paying about 250 - 275 euro's a month for a 47 footer

Tagus Yacht Center – Your Boatyard in Portugal

working on your own yacht and staying on board is permitted
ReneJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 04:52   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by systik View Post

Thank you!

Martin from Süstik
nautificmiles.com
Next time you're looking for layup (ashore or afloat) google "jimbsail". Then hover over the "mediterranean" or "tidal Europe" tab, and click the area you're researching.

At the bottom of each area page there's a summary of "reasons to visit" (or avoid !). These include "Layup or Wintering" and "Transport" - air or bus connections to airports. Then you'll know which ports to look for in the text about each area.

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 08:30   #11

Jim B,

I have looked at your website but do not find "Reasons to Visit". Am looking for good location for wintering and haulout/antifoul end 2017. Was thinking of Ragusa or Licata. but could also be S Croatia or near Otranto. Dont mind really but price and near an airport are the two most important points.

For Systik:
There is an excellent article in Yachting Monthly (Feb) on the Ria's just S of Finisterre in case you are interested. I have sailed around there for a number of years and after reading the article i agree and wonder why anyone would ever wish to leave.
Old 16-01-2017, 20:36   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
Jim B,

I have looked at your website but do not find "Reasons to Visit". Am looking for good location for wintering and haulout/antifoul end 2017. Was thinking of Ragusa or Licata. but could also be S Croatia or near Otranto. Dont mind really but price and near an airport are the two most important points.
Between Ragusa and Licata, wintering in Licata would be my choice. As to haulout and antifoul (think about Coppercoat sometime, we don't antifoul - ever !), you will find Ragusa more convenient, but more expensive. Licata, you will have to go around the corner to one of the shipyards - some have travelifts, some (the one we are in) has a crane.
I am not sure from your note if you are looking for hardstand for the winter or a marina berth, or if you are staying or leaving your boat there, but with the information I have so far, that is my recommendation.
I hope that helps.
David
Old 16-01-2017, 21:25   #13

Tks yr comments David.
From what I have heard, there is a serious fouling/barnacle problem in Licata. Maybe if you have coppercoat you are fortunate not to suffer.

Yes, I am looking for a mooring in the water, not on the hard..
Old 16-01-2017, 22:31   #14

Quote:
Tks yr comments David.
From what I have heard, there is a serious fouling/barnacle problem in Licata. Maybe if you have coppercoat you are fortunate not to suffer.

Yes, I am looking for a mooring in the water, not on the hard..
Yes, we see great strands of fouling there on some boats that seem not to be visited very often. For the boats in the marina that are being looked after, we have not seen anything unusual, and have not experienced anything ourselves there. For us, Licata is a nicer, more protected and friendlier place (also better priced than Ragusa), so if you are looking for in-water, it is worth checking out. Emi or Serena - both lovely ladies, would look after you. If you decide to look, mention me (SV Te Anau).

Ragusa is also nice, but you are away from the marina complex and basically in the suburbs with houses looking down on you. Also, there is little monitoring of security from what we could see, whereas with Licata, the marineros are buzzing around on land and water every few minutes. You can even ask for a berth right outside the marina office if you wanted.
Old 17-01-2017, 03:08   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Jim B,

For Systik:
There is an excellent article in Yachting Monthly (Feb) on the Ria's just S of Finisterre in case you are interested. I have sailed around there for a number of years and after reading the article i agree and wonder why anyone would ever wish to leave.
Hi Salty,

My post was obviously not very clear. Sorry!

But if you have a look at this west Portugal page, you'll see what I mean. At the bottom of the page there's Summary, with the following quote:
"Layup or Wintering. Povoa de Varzim ashore, several options ashore or afloat in Lisbon, marina in Porto."
That tells you to check out those ports in the text if you're looking for layup.

I agree with you about the delights of cruising the Rias of Galicia. I must look up that article. Here's the same reference from that page:
"Layup or Wintering. Ashore or afloat: Viviero marina, Sada marina (NE of A Coruña), A Coruña, Portosin in Ria Muros, Muros marina, Villagarcia, and several options in Ria de Vigo."
I'm sure you can add some more options though!

My original post was just to point Systic to lists of lay-up options.

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Europe, mediterranean, rope