Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2016, 16:02   #1

Boat: Yamaha AR192
Send a message via Skype™ to ArmyChief
Meeting couples and learning to sail? (Tampa - Ft. Myers)

Hello CF members, the wife and I have been researching cruising as our retirement since 2009. My job is not the typical job....so it does not allow us to be socialites and meet lots of couples (that you might meet with coworkers and their families). We are about 3-5 years away and would like to meet some couples who have a sailboat and wouldn't mind meeting us, maybe talking to us about sailing..teaching us (we would share cost and buy drinks/dinners of course). I looked at all the forums and thought this the best place to post it.

Thanks,

Doug
ArmyChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 17:32   #2

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78
Re: Meeting couples and learning to sail? (Tampa - Ft. Myers)

If you get to Corpus Christi, TX look us up. Always willing to share what little we know.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 19:37   #3

I'm new to the Tampa area too. Check out the Sailmonster group on FB and also the seven seas cruising association. The best way to learn from what the experts tell me is to be "rail meat" on a boat in a race.....cruising boats that people race...tons of fun and you learn 10x as much than if you're cruising.

Rail Meat= people that do nothing except to sit where the captain tells them to sit.

You get to go sailing, learn sailing, be part of the crew, and take part in the festivities afterward.

PM me if you'd like to chat.
Rugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 12:39   #4

very interested in this myself as my wife and I are looking at local lessons but have encountered the sticker shock of a week long course.. experience.
DrewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 15:02   #5

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

One of the best places to meet other cruisers in areas that cruisers frequent (at least in the USA) is through what is called "Cruisers Nets". These "nets" are conducted over the radio and/or via facebook to organize cruisers specifically for social events. I'm a former moderator of the St. Augustine Cruisers Net and we have a facebook page called "St. Augustine Cruisers Net" for our remote participants. I say former because we are heading out for our next cruise in about 4 weeks - finally!

Unfortunately, I do not think that Tampa has a cruisers net. I know friends of ours (that started the the St. Augustine Cruisers Net) tried to start one in Tampa but the participation was fairly low and they moved away before they were able to gather momentum.

The next best place to meet sailors is through sailing classes like American Sailing School or US Sailing - at least to get started. From there you can meet up for drinks afterward with other sailors at one of the sailor haunts.

You could always START a cruisers net in Tampa - you don't actually have to be a cruiser. Its a pretty basic script and we can give you some guidance one setting on up. It would be a great way to meet others in the area on boats. I assume you are near the water and/or popular anchorage areas.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 15:45   #6

Thanks for the info. I'm actually closer to Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte. Fisherman's Village. I travel for my job..not sure if I could "run" a net..but would be willing to try almost anything to get cruisers together in my area.
Old 13-04-2016, 16:05   #7

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

You could start a facebook page. Really, its just about organizing people and bringing volunteers up to speed - something I am sure you know a lot about!

A lot of our facebook page is making sure we post information on the best happy hours and food deals, accessible from the water of course. We also post going-on's that would appeal to boaters like when the local museums have free days, or when community events are happening, or when local community groups (like the Shriners) are throwing events or looking for volunteers. Cruisers love to help in the communities they visit - its not just going out to bars
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 16:43   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
Thanks for the info. I'm actually closer to Punta Gorda, Port Charlotte. Fisherman's Village. I travel for my job..not sure if I could "run" a net..but would be willing to try almost anything to get cruisers together in my area.
There are a gazillion sailboats in the Punta Gorda area. I know of a half dozen of ones just like mine alone. You should have no trouble hooking up there. Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 16:48   #9

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Hello CF members, the wife and I have been researching cruising as our retirement since 2009. My job is not the typical job....so it does not allow us to be socialites and meet lots of couples (that you might meet with coworkers and their families). We are about 3-5 years away and would like to meet some couples who have a sailboat and wouldn't mind meeting us, maybe talking to us about sailing..teaching us (we would share cost and buy drinks/dinners of course). I looked at all the forums and thought this the best place to post it.

Thanks,

Doug
Doug--

Considering your locale and interest, it would be worth looking into (click on) the Charlotte Harbor Yacht Club. It is an excellent club with good sailing/boating programs (as well as other activities), friendly members, and in a good location, particularly so for you. Moreover, it is a member of the Florida Counsel of Yacht Clubs which gains you entry to all of the other counsel clubs in Florida with reciprocal privileges that can be of particular value when traveling/cruising. Best of all, CHYC is very affordable, both as to initiation fees as well as monthly dues/charges, when compared with other clubs. Give them a call/visit. I suspect you'll be impressed.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 17:05   #10

Quote:
I'm closer to Disney, but would be willing to travel on weekends down into the area to be "rail meat" or whatever it's really called.

I travel as well, so while weekdays could be doable, they definitely wouldn't be guaranteed.

Let me know if you start the Facebook page though!
DrewT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2016, 17:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Doug--

Considering your locale and interest, it would be worth looking into (click on) the Charlotte Harbor Yacht Club. It is an excellent club with good sailing/boating programs (as well as other activities), friendly members, and in a good location, particularly so for you. Moreover, it is a member of the Florida Counsel of Yacht Clubs which gains you entry to all of the other counsel clubs in Florida with reciprocal privileges that can be of particular value when traveling/cruising. Best of all, CHYC is very affordable, both as to initiation fees as well as monthly dues/charges, when compared with other clubs. Give them a call/visit. I suspect you'll be impressed.

FWIW...

s/v HyLyte
Thanks so much...We will go there next week and check them out!

Tags
learning, sail