Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2016, 23:12   #1

Pacific Seacraft South Seas 61

Morning all. New to CF, (so play nice), have just read PlumKrazy's thread and having changed into some dry underwear (you lot can be cutting!) I have a question.
My wife, dog and I are in the early stages of planning a move from our lagoon 42 to a longer monohull for global aspirations. Once the tut-tutting from the Cat Cabal has quietened, I can find little to better the Discovery 58 for ergonomcs and short-handed operation (I have to sail the Lagoon one-up most of the time, vodka is the curse of the crewing class). There are several other contenders and yard visits, shows and test sails are all in the offing.
I then came across PlumKrazy and Dorade-gate, which in turn led me to Pacific Seacraft, a brand I am unfamiliar with, being UK based. I found the renderings of the South Seas 61 achingly beautiful, albeit sail handling and the hard dodger may have to be re-designed, but can find no further pics/info.
Can someone out there suggest further links, sources of info (short of contacting them direct - I have another US builder stalking me and bombarding me with sales calls). Are there other suggestions from across the Pond in this size, type, use, that members may have (not Hylas).
I hope this post is not construed as lazy surfing on my part, it is purely that I have garnered much valuable info over the last few months via CF.
cenicero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 03:50   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Pacific Seacraft South Seas 61

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, cenicero.

See ➥ http://www.pacificseacraft.com/598461/specifications/

And ➥ http://www.bwsailing.com/bw/boat-rev...c-seacraft-61/

And ➥ http://www.cruisingworld.com/sailboa...ft-southsea-61

And ➥ http://sailingmagazine.net/article-permalink-1285.html

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:22   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Welcome to CF cenicero !

As a general rule, Pacific Seacraft is a well respected, well built brand... I've not heard of anything that large by them... So no specifics offered other than CF camaraderie...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:18   #4

Thanks for the welcome folks and thanks for the links. I had already seen these but was surprised there was no more information on the company's website. More spadework for me. Certainly looks ideal for a short-handed couple with family visiting for lengthy periods though. Like the ketch rig, much vaunted by Amel for ease of handling and sail plan options. However the looks of the Amel would make the wife look attractive (is that their USP?). Had a Westerly ketch years ago and loved it.
Almost retro styling also sets it apart from Euro offerings. Just hope they don't go for the gloomy, over-timbered interiors many US manufacturers seem to favour, however guess that will be down to us to spec. Hey-ho, food for thought and a 'jolly' Stateside. Price is comparable to Euro offerings in the same bracket.
Cheers folks, will let CF know if she's a contender.
Old 08-03-2016, 05:58   #5

Found a bit more if anyone's interested: perryboat.com/currentlyinbuild. Very pretty ship outside but Lord, I've seen better interiors on Deadliest Catch. That companionway is from the central cockpit I take it, a real leg-breaker.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:27   #6

Boat: a sailing boat

I think they do not exist. Why do you want to buy a proto? Being a beta tester is not all that a quick way to go cruising.

Cast a look at this Paradise:

Paradise 60 :: Paradise Yachts

Talk to the owners if you like. I have seen it here in Las Palmas just before their departure on the crossing. This one is cream and it exists. Someone else will have done all the testing ...

Your choices are so vast. Lucky ducky!

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:55   #7

Thanks for that Barnakiel, taking a good look now. Don't want a prototype, but having narrowed my choice significantly, no harm in finding out about a possibly interesting alternative from respected yard and designer.
This will be my sixth, last and definitely most expensive boat after 25 years of cruising- don't want to drop the hook somewhere, look across and be thinking 'shoot, wish I'd checked that out' or words to that effect.
Hull No. 1 South Seas 61 currently under construction, however initial pics of interior on perryboats.com would indicate stout bimini, sleeping bags and cockpit BBQ may be necessary.
Thanks for the link, checking it out now.
Old 08-03-2016, 08:04   #8

Boat: Outbound 44

Look at the Outbound 46 or 52 - Fabulous boat, excellent build, reasonable price, built for long distance cruising.
Outbound 44 #27
Bill Balme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:28   #9

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

I have a lot of respect for Bob Perry and like many of his designs but the spade rudder he's put on this 61 footer is just plane stupid in my book.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:33   #10

Boat: Kadey-Krogen 38 Cutter

Two classic fast cruisers built to be sailed by a couple are the Deerfoot and Sundeer.

SetSail » Blog Archive » Details
sailstax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:56   #11

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
I have a lot of respect for Bob Perry and like many of his designs but the spade rudder he's put on this 61 footer is just plane stupid in my book.

It is a big boat. What were the alternatives? Maybe two smaller rudders off center. But it is a narrow boat too, so ...

Perhaps the rudder will be built to jeffa / dashews / hoek standards?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 14:02   #12

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

My niece, Sophie Ciszek recently completed the Volvo round the world with team Magenta. The rudders were the weakest link and all of the fleet had emergency back up rudders ready to deploy. They had serious issues with their rudders.

The logical alternative is to go skeg hung rudder. Minimal performance loss and a great deal stronger.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 14:24   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
My niece, Sophie Ciszek recently completed the Volvo round the world with team Magenta. The rudders were the weakest link and all of the fleet had emergency back up rudders ready to deploy. They had serious issues with their rudders.

The logical alternative is to go skeg hung rudder. Minimal performance loss and a great deal stronger.
While I have a partial skeg hung rudder I disagree with your view on spade rudders. Spade rudders are the most effective rudder period. Yes some builders don't build them all that strong but their are others that build them stronger than your typical skeg hung
rudder. I think on Dashews boats you could put the whole weight of the boat on the spade rudder it is so strong.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 15:14   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenicero View Post
I found the renderings of the South Seas 61 achingly beautiful, albeit sail handling and the hard dodger may have to be re-designed, but can find no further pics/info.
This is a fully custom boat, so can be changed however you like I would imagine.

Here is a ton of information on hull #1, including lots of pictures:

Pacific Seacraft 63' ketch nears completion - SailNet Community
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 16:22   #15

With the budget you have I would look at Halberg Rassy 54 a good site would be marina expeditions as they have been taking people long distance cruising for a long time. short blue water might be a good prelude of that boat nd other in the size range Good Luck Don in Friday Harbor
dagranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pacific seacraft