Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2011, 22:11   #1

Boat: 41' Tartan TOCK
Pearson 36-2

My wife and I have been looking for a boat. We eventually would like to sail down through Mexico and Central America and across to the South Pacific, possibly to Australia. We’ve looked at a number of boats, Ericson, Tayana, C&C, Pearson and others. When we got on a Pearson 36-2 (1985) we were amazed at the layout. The boat feels great, more spacious than any of the other 38’ boats we’ve looked at. We really like the boat but don’t know a lot about them. Searching the web has not led to much, there doesn’t seem to be any obvious websites with information about this boat as a long-term cruising boat. Older posts about the boat have directed people to pearsoninfo.net but that site doesn’t seem to exist any longer, although the archived site is viewable but not complete. We would love to hear from people who have experience with the Pearson 36-2 from 1985 or similar Pearson boats from the same era. We’d love to hear about the boat’s abilities and faults as a long-term cruising boat. Aspects like storage, comfort, any safety issues, anything particularly annoying or awesome about the boat… and of course any websites with similar information. Thanks for all your opinions!
Cheers!
jonahmulski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:31   #2

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Pearson 36-2

Jonah, go to Pearsonowners.com. There are many members who own a 36-2 on that site. I have owned a 34-2 for 16 years and have logged over 16,000 sea miles. It is fast, commodious, well designed and I have had no structural problems at all. Good luck and good sailing, Ron
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:25   #3

Boat: Pearson 34

Good Morning soon to be Pearson Owner:
I have a 1984 34' Pearson, it's a great single hander and very fast. I hope to live-aboard soon and travel the East, and Gulf coasts. The boat is very well built and with a little rig tweaking and a few upgrade parts you will have a wonderful boat. Just a reminder most are deep fin keels (6') that is what lets them point so well and sail so fast (20* off apparent wind) unfortunately it makes for a bit of a rough ride in heavy weather (20+ knot winds and 8' seas) and access to some waterways (ICW) uncomfortable but well worth the inconvenience.
Enjoy: RaggedyMan
Raggedy Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:27   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, jonahmulski.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 10:04   #5

Thanks for the information. I posted at Pearsonowners.com as well.
The draft is one of our biggest concerns (the 1985 36-2 has a 6'6" draft). Sailing here in Central California won't be an issue but if we decide to take the boat to the South Pacific it seems like it might hinder where we can go. However, I haven't sailed in areas where draft is an issue and I don't know how much of a difference a foot makes. Opinions?
Why would a deep fin keel make a boat rougher in weather? Does the hull shape of a fin keel boat do this or is it the actual keel? ...I'm guessing a bit of both.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:49   #6

Boat: Pearson 34

Most production racer/cruiser models built in the last 30 years are considered pan bottom. Unlike cruisers with full keels that have a "V" shape that cuts waves. Unfortunately the "V" shape has its drawbacks; much greater wetted surface (slower), the flow of water drops off the bottom of the keel before it causes enough lift to go efficiently to wind, and they are not very responsive in busy waterways. As a single handed coastal cruiser that sails in and out of busy harbor entrances (not usually under power) being able to stay out of the way of 800' ships and dodge fishing and shrimp fleets as well as a multitude of recreational boaters (most are idiots that handle there boats like there car in a parking lot) quick response is a must. If I planned to circumnavigate the world or spend months alone at sea I MIGHT chose a different type of vessel. Spend as much time as passable at your local library with books on boat design, there are hundreds if not thousands. Each of the authors have a bias opinion as do I. You should take a little from each and chose whats best for your needs.
Most importantly have fun: RaggedyMan ~~_/) ~~
Raggedy Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 11:04   #7

Hi, have a friend cruising on his Pearson 36-2. Just started in October, leaving from New England area, and just made the jump over to the Bahama's. Along for the ride are his wife and two young (pre-teen) children. See Zusammen Sailing

His is a1985, hull #107. I have the same boat, hull #110, and another good friend has hull #98.

#98 has done the Marblehead to Halifax Race this past summer with a crew of 5 guys and no problem. He races weekly and does well.

We all have the 6.5' fin keel, we do find bottom now and then...but who doesn't?

I have a wife and 2 teenagers, lots of room for them and us; lots of comfort below and above; great storage, solid build- just keep checking on things and repair/replace as necessary.
LUNA
paytman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 17:41   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

G'Day Jonah,

No expertise on Pearsons (other than to say that one sees a fair number of them out here in the South Pacific), but I can comment on your draft worries...

We've now done well over 100K miles in the seas between San Francisco and Australia, in two boats each with 7'2" draft. The deep draft has only rarely been an issue for us. Yes, there are a few potential cyclone anchorages that are denied to us, and one must watch the tides more carefully in some areas, but for us these factors don't outweigh the performance increases the deep keel offers.

As we often tell folks who advocate shoal draft boats here in Australia "we all run aground at times... you just do it closer to the beach than we do"!

I think that your Pearson would be a good choice for this cruise.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 07-03-2015, 11:22   #9

Boat: catalina 27

johan
did you buy a Pearson 362?
have you followed through with your long term voyage?

I am looking at a Pearson 362 center board version.
I sail locally in NJ and plan to sail to New England this summer, Martha's Vineyards.
Chiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 08:49   #10

Hi Chiyo,
Sorry for the late reply on this. No we didn't. We went with a heavier, center cockpit ketch, she's a Tartan TOCK.
Cheers!
Jonah
Old 11-07-2016, 23:02   #11

Boat: Pearson 36-2

I am under contract to buy a 1985 36-2. Survey found is scheduled next week. Hope all goes well! It would be my first boat and she is in great shape.
molo0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 18:42   #12

Keel bolts or encapsulated
mikemilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 18:46   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemilt View Post
Keel bolts or encapsulated
Not sure if this is true for all Pearsons but my 422 and the other models I've looked at all had encapsulated lead keels.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:01   #14

Thanks for the feedback
mikemilt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pearson